- Global Water shortages and starvation
- The homeless down the block
- Aids and Cancer killing millions every year
Look, I’m tired of seeing all of this suffering around the world and not standing up to make a REAL change.
I’m a 21 year old entrepreneur, and over the past few weeks, I have been developing a concept which I am confident will not only result in a massive increase in donations to charities worldwide but also revolutionize the means by which consumers become active philanthropists. Essentially, I want to kickstart a new generation of E-Commerce.
I came across this idea when I was selling on Ebay and noticed Ebay GivingWorks. The idea behind it was that sellers could donate a percentage of the money they made to a charity of their choice, with thousands of organizations to choose from. I loved this idea, but after thinking about it, I realized that despite the impressive contributions made by Ebay GivingWorks, a small tweak could result in MASSIVELY increased donations worldwide. Let me explain.
Lets be honest, for many people, donating to charity is a burden that takes away time and money. When asked, "Would you like to donate a few dollars to American Red Cross?" at our local grocery store, many of us answer with a polite "no thank you." Now imagine a world where you, the customer, could go out shopping for products that you love and have A PORTION OF THE MONEY YOU SPEND "DONATED" TO ANY CHARITY THAT YOU CHOOSE. Imagine a world where YOU CAN HELP THE WORLD BY SHOPPING.
I am currently working on a website which would make it easier and more fun than ever for consumers to donate to charity by shopping for everyday products that they love. The goal of the website is to set up a donation tracking system, giving both buyers and sellers the opportunity to see how much money they have donated to charities over time, while also giving them the opportunity to track how their purchases have made an impact. All donations are based off the money made from customers buying products from businesses or individual sellers, eliminating the need for customers to actually "donate to charity" from their own pocket.
How it works:
- Businesses or individual sellers become members of my non-profit group, called Philanthropista, if they commit themselves to donating a portion (or percentage) of their proceeds to charities. That portion/percentage can be based off a single product that the business sells, multiple products, etc. Whatever it is, as long as they’re donating something, they can become members.
- The customer goes on a website like Ebay, searching to buy a product he/she likes, (lets just say it’s a shirt). They stumble upon a shirt that they like and are ready to purchase it. However, they notice the company selling this shirt (lets call it Company A) not only sells awesome shirts, but is also a member of Philanthropista, which guarantees that the SELLER can give a set portion of the money they spend to a charity of their choice.
- The customer then sees that Company A is giving 5% of the revenue they make on that particular shirt to charity. When he/she is ready to buy, the customer is brought to a transaction page where they see what they spent. They notice:
They paid 100$ for this shirt.
Because 5% goes to charity:
95$ is collected by the company and
5$ goes towards the charity the customer chooses.
- After seeing this page, the CUSTOMER can then decide which charity/cause they would like to have those 5$ donated to. For online shopping this would be designed the same way as Ebay GivingWorks, making it easy for the customer to decide where they would like to send the money. If the customer doesn’t know much about charitable organizations, he/she can choose from a list of the most popular options Company A donates to. OR if they care about learning more, they can be redirected to my webpage where they would be able to browse through a list of charities based on categories/interests that this particular person has, providing an index of every charity on earth. The goal is for the customer to easily understand exactly what that money is being used for, so they can track where their money went and interactively become a part of the solution.
- The website I am working on would allow businesses, individuals and charities to keep track of these donations, so everyone can literally see the impact every purchase makes. The website would allow buyers and sellers to login and keep records of the donations they have made to different charities.
- I realize that at first not many companies will want to risk losing such a sum of money on donations and in turn might be hesitant to join such a group. As a solution to that, I think that the companies that DO join should receive special attention in media/advertising for going out of their way to help humanity. In this system, customers get the product that they love in addition to contributing to this enormous charitable cause and businesses get the attention that they want to promote themselves, which in turn results in better profits. Everyone is a winner. This website would also aim to spread awareness on global issues and encourage people to volunteer in their communities or abroad with plenty of resources available. My goal is to make Philanthropy a hobby rather than a burden for people, ensuring them that changing the world is as simple as purchasing a single product online.
This website has just been started (just a blog), and is still in development. Right now, it is only based on a concept, and it needs to grow through everyone’s help. Feedback and advice is always GREATLY appreciated. Ebay, I am sincerely hoping we can work together to make an extraordinary change on this planet. I am reaching out and asking for you to help me create such a website. If you are interested in helping me make this project grow, please contact me. Let's change the world.
Thank you everyone for reading,