cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Etching Notation Etc.

Aside from not being able to read the artist's name and title of this 10"x12" etching (any help in this regard would be much appreciated) - what does the "c III" at the extreme right indicate?  Is it an edition? I'm pretty sure it doesn't translate to 103.

Thanks and happy new year!

Ritaboy etching (4).jpgboy etching (5).JPGboy etching (2).JPGboy etching (6).JPG

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Etching Notation Etc.

What does the label say? close up?

Swedish (Borjn)?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

What does the label say? close up?

Swedish (Borjn)?

The label is the framing store "Swain's Art Store" with locations in NY & NJ.  I think Borjn is a good possibility.  Then there's the squiggle in the middle.  I also thought maybe it was "Boy.." - title for the subject of the etching but there's a dot over the letter so "j" is more likely.  Thanks!

Rita

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

Just checked on Borjn - I think the Swedish name is Bjorn so wrong sequence of letters.  But thanks again.  Any thoughts on the c III?

Rita

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

How are you spelling Bjorn?

Janet

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

The first word on the etching looks something like Borj...or could be Boy.. 

Rita

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps the squiggle and dots represent an "ini". Something like Borzini. Just a guess.

Have you taken the print out of the frame and mat? Can we see the back without the paper?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

But can we see a picture of that lable?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

But can we see a picture of that lable?

Here's the label and also the back with paper removed.  Boy 2 (1).jpgBoy 2 (3).jpgBoy 2 (4).jpg

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

Thanks for posting that. All I can see is that it must have been framed between 1962 and July 1, 1963 (zip code started) as it lacks the code and your etching is dated 1962. Does that help with the name? No.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Thanks for posting that. All I can see is that it must have been framed between 1962 and July 1, 1963 (zip code started) as it lacks the code and your etching is dated 1962. Does that help with the name? No.

A very  minor point, but I don't think you can date the framing that closely.  Most people went ahead and used up their inventory of stationery, labels, and so on, and didn't add the Zip Code until they had to order a new supply.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

OK but since there is no way to know other than to audit their expenditures to see when the first reorder was placed with the new zip, or to turn on the Wayback Machine, we'll just call it 1965.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

Works for me!   😅

i haven't replied to this thread before because Rita is one of the best handwriting / signature readers / decipherers we have.  I figure if she's stumped, I don't stand a chance.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

@maxine*j wrote:

Works for me!   😅

Me too!  Frame question settled.  Now if we could only figure out the artist's name and what cIII means 😳

Rita

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Etching Notation Etc.

All I can think of is something like Version 3, or Edition 3, or Series 3.  Yeah, a lot of help, huh?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply