cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auction Promoted Listings

Now that this went live I see it’s just about EBay gaining more fees …  Before I had the “option” to pay $1.99 to promote an auction listing that could sell for whatever amount… now I have “option”  to promote with a percentage based fee on final sales price. I like eBay’s selling platform and realize one must adjust. 

I probably won’t be using auction promotion much now..  eBay suggested ad rate is usually over 10%… so in effect it would be  taking eBay’s 15% sellers fees to 25% … we are now at brick and mortar auction house fee level!! 🤔 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@midcenturybuys  For some years now ebay has been incapable of creating substantial growth in overall sales volume, and instead has been relying on increasing its take rate...that is, the amount of money collected from fees, etc. 

Sellers who have been watching this were not surprised by the decision to eliminate PLE for auction listings. And you are correct, ebay is hoping to both save money (no need to have two separate procedures for auctions and fixed price) and make money (the expectation that if former PLE users actually move to PLS, it will generate more ebay income due to the way fees are calculated for PLS compared to PLE.

If you have been having success with PLE, you can experiment with:

1. No Promoted listings for auctions, and instead, try to come up with other ways to drive traffic to your auctions.

2. Experiment with PLS, by starting with the lowest allowable rate (2%) and ignoring any recommended rates.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You have two options:

1. Sell here and pay the fees

2. Don't sell here and not pay the fees

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

What’s your point? I noticed you don’t usually post auction style listings. This update doesn’t affect you, maybe your response is a product of being unaffected. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

promoting is optional

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

You have two options:

1. Sell here and pay the fees

2. Don't sell here and not pay the fees

You forgot Option 3

3. Sell here and don't pay extra fees for promotions

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@midcenturybuys  For some years now ebay has been incapable of creating substantial growth in overall sales volume, and instead has been relying on increasing its take rate...that is, the amount of money collected from fees, etc. 

Sellers who have been watching this were not surprised by the decision to eliminate PLE for auction listings. And you are correct, ebay is hoping to both save money (no need to have two separate procedures for auctions and fixed price) and make money (the expectation that if former PLE users actually move to PLS, it will generate more ebay income due to the way fees are calculated for PLS compared to PLE.

If you have been having success with PLE, you can experiment with:

1. No Promoted listings for auctions, and instead, try to come up with other ways to drive traffic to your auctions.

2. Experiment with PLS, by starting with the lowest allowable rate (2%) and ignoring any recommended rates.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Pretty sure the number of items we have promoted is just about the same as the failed to pay/failed transaction. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply