cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer cancelled card and asks me to send invoice to a new paypal account

Hi all,

Okay, so this case is a strange one. I sold something to a buyer overseas, and everything was going smoothly. Shipped the item with a tracking number (although it is taking a bit long to arrive due to COVID).

A couple weeks later I get a paypal notification saying the buyer reported an unauthorized transaction and they froze the incoming funds. In response, I sent the tracking information and ebay invoice, and now the case is pending.

So I contact the buyer, who apologizes about the card cancellation and promises to rectify the situation as soon as possible, saying they still want the item and the purchase was intended.

Another few weeks later, the paypal case is still pending. And the buyer gets back to me saying they didn't recognise my paypal email address so they thought the transaction to was fraudulent (different email address from my ebay name) so they cancelled their card because of that... 

Now the buyer is asking me to send an invoice for the item to a new paypal account (different email). Things are just so wacky I have no idea how to respond... kind of puts me off selling stuff overseas.

What do you think I should do?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I'd call paypal.........the case is still open right? 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If you shipped to the address supplied in the order you should be covered by PayPal.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Call PayPal.  Forward all their messages to them. 

If they cancelled the card, this has nothing to do with the email. 

You have already shipped?

If they pay via a new account, then you have to provide tracking. 

PayPal should be able to close case and release money to you. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Call Ebay and let them know the situation.  I actually had the "exact" same thing happen to me with a US sale and it took about 6 weeks to get settled.  It should be quicker now with the new Ebay payment system. I worked directly with Ebay customer service and let them collect the funds after the purchaser cancelled/declined the transaction because they did not recognize my Paypal email address (different name).  Ebay worked as a mediator to rectify the problem between buyer & seller without our involvement.  It seems to me that both of these instances could have been avoided if Ebay allowed sellers to have email addresses that included store entity/names.  Ebays concern with it's sellers cheating the system makes sense with all the dishonest and unethical business practices that take place, however it seems outmoded to me when it leaves sellers in a vulnerable position for unnecessary situations like this to occur and actually prevents sellers from building stronger name recognition which is necessary when creating a brand.            

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@sillysandpipervintage 

did your buyer bring the case thru Ebay or Paypal?..........the op's is brought in Paypal.......so I can't see Ebay trying to handle it..........

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yes, the case is still pending. Paypal has already cleared payment though... It's more the buyer that I'm concerned about

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yes, I have already shipped, and paypal has already released the money to me. The case is still listed as "pending review" though, and the buyer is requesting a new invoice... so it's a bit confusing.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

That's true, and I completely agree with you. I've actually received the funds transfer from paypal already, but the case is still "pending review". I'm more concerned about the buyer now

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Paypal, and the payment has been cleared but the case is still pending. But I am being contacted by the buyer via ebay now

Message 10 of 10
latest reply