cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer pays return shipping my first return

In my adds state buyer pays for  return shipping.  How do I go about collecting the shipping fee from buyer.  Thanks as this is my first return from a buyer.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Generally that means they are provided a return shipping label by eBay and will be charged for it, or they can purchase from their choice of service and put the tracking number into the case.

If the return is for an Item Not As Described, however, you can't charge them for return shipping.  You're on the hook for it no matter what your return policy says (that only applies to remorse returns).

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You don't collect it. If you have your settings set to automatically send a label to the buyer for a return, once the buyer uses the label, the cost of that label will be deducted from the buyer's account. You're out of the loop except for having the label come from your transaction.

If it's a NAD return, you do have to pay for the label, also sent to the buyer. You aren't charged for the label unless it's used for the return. (Sometimes buyers change their minds and decide to keep the item. In those cases, you don't get charged for the label.)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

When the buyer gets their refund shipping charge is deducted from that refund and eBay collects it for the shipping service. You as a seller don't receive it. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@namron8mont wrote:

In my adds state buyer pays for  return shipping.  How do I go about collecting the shipping fee from buyer.  Thanks as this is my first return from a buyer.

BTW, what is the reason the buyer chose for the return? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

NAD item supposedly out by 1 inch. So now I understand if NAD buyer does not pay return shipping.  Am noticing some sellers do not put any description …wouldn’t that be a way to get around NAD.

Oh so much to learn. 😊

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Even if the seller doesn't provide a description (which is unwise, IMHO), a buyer can always choose Not As Described as the reason for their return, and eBay doesn't really make them justify it.  That's why we have Free Returns, we can handle the occasional hit from buying them a return label, but they don't as often choose the wrong reason for shipping it back (so we don't get our number of INAD cases running up).

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

If/when a buyer claims an item is not as described, it's the seller who pays the return shipping if he wants the item back.

Please read the MBG.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

If I ran into a listing where a seller did not put any description, I believe I'd be smart enough to hit the back arrow and find another seller.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

No description is DEFINITELY not the way to go... That's carte blanche for a buyer to go NAD.  They will claim you didin't disclose this or that particular defect in your listing.   As has been stated, ebay doesn't make the buyer justify their actions in a NAD case, and many buyers have abused that policy.   Your best bet is clear photos and a detailed description in the listing.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Am noticing some sellers do not put any description …wouldn’t that be a way to get around NAD.

No.

EBay is very flexible about what makes for Not As Described.

Leaving out important information is more likely to result in a potential buyer back buttoning and buying elsewhere.

If less than one percents of you annual sales are "failed transactions" you are doing better than the industry* average.

Any costs, like return postage,  are deductible just like eBay fees or packaging materials, from your 2024 income tax on your profits.

*Amazon is reported to have about 40% of purchases returned.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Am noticing some sellers do not put any description …wouldn’t that be a way to get around

Whenever I see no description I assume the seller is either lazy or hiding something. Either way, its a red flag & reduces my willingness to buy.

As for measurements, I usually provide them for my items but I always put "about" before them. "About 11.5 inches". Will this prevent someone from filing a NAD? No. But I'm at least throwing it out there that it's not an exact measurement

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Do you happen to list on ebay.com?  I list on .com and now told have to go to post office to purchase return shipping label then upload to ebay as return coming from US to Canada.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply