cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer scam

Just received an offer to buy an item I am selling. The buyer instead of messaging me selected to make an offer for the exact buy now price. In his message he/she asked me to send current pics of the ítem but to an email address on their profile. I tried messaging thru the eBay platform but couldn’t find anything that would allow me to. The only option I had was accept offer or decline… I chose to decline. The person’s profile said they were based out of Australia but the mailing address was in Georgia. Also for the item I’m selling the request seemed unreasonable given that it’s in Mint condition and sealed. I’ve sold other items that were similar and have never received such a request. Was I correct to decline the offer? I couldn’t find a way to contact eBay

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer scam

Anytime the exact bin price is offered instead of making an offer its usually a scam.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Buyer scam

If you don't know where to find your Blocked Buyers List, just ask someone here.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Buyer scam

Definitely seems a little weird & I don't blame you for declining the offer. I'm not sold that it was definitely a scam though, could have just been a boomer who doesn't know what they're doing 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Buyer scam

If this person really wanted to buy your item, he/she could have simply bought it now for the BIN price.

Your action was fine.  And, if I were you, I'd be blocking that buyer immediately.  

You had no reason or need to contact  eBay.  And you did not need to do anything with the offer.  You could have just done nothing and allowed the offer to expire.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Buyer scam

*^^^^^^*

AND PLACE 'BUYER' ON BLOCKED LIST

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Buyer scam

Nah, always worth assuming that anyone who asks you to contact them off platform is a scammer.  Even if they're not, they're going to be a headache not worth dealing with, but it's explicitly against eBay's rules and will get you and them in trouble if you follow through.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Buyer scam

It's probably a scam

They are hoping you'll send some photos to their email address, so they can get your email.

They will send you an email saying you've been paid, hoping you'll ship before you find out you haven't been paid.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 8
latest reply