cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer sending truck to pick up item

I sold a liftgate and the buyer has paid but the buyer lives  almost 2000 miles away and is sending a truck to pick up the liftgate. And I feel a little uneasy.

i read in the email I got that to get his QR code and 6 digit # and he sent it to me. Apparently So he can’t claim item not received.  Idk know if I can post that pic here safely it shows the QR code and number. What if he sent a fake one? 

maybe I am paranoid but like I said he is not local and is Russian and lives in Texas.

i thought I should take a pic of the license plate too just in case. Anything else?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I think that the idea of the qr code or the 6 digit number is that whoever shows up to get the item will then produce them to prove that they are the rightfully buyer and the buyer giving you those they confirm that they received the item.

The buyer should not give the seller the QR or 6 digit until they pick the item up.

I have sold things local pickup before several times and the buyer sent a shipping company to pick up the item, nothing really unusual there.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If you sold as local pickup the buyer should send the QR code or 6 digit number with the driver that is picking up the item. 
You would know if it's fake when you apply it to the sale it will give you an error message.

What does the buyers location and or ethnicity have to do with anything? 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

When you say the buyer is Russian, do you mean his country of registration shows as Russia or simply that he has a Russian sounding name?

When you enter the six digit code, the system will let you know if it’s valid or not.

If the code doesn’t work, you don’t let the buyer or his representative pick up the item.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Sounds a little fishy for the price, sending a truck and back for a $350 item? I wouldn't scan the QR  code.

What can hackers get access to if you scan a fake QR code?
A scammer's QR code could take you to a spoofed site that looks real but isn't. And if you log in to the spoofed site, the scammers could steal any information you enter. Or the QR code could install malware that steals your information before you realize it. Dec 6, 2023

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Manually enter the 6 digit code, it works the same as the QR code. You will know immediately if it is valid as it will automatically update the order status. As noted above, the seller should not have provided the number/qr code until physically picked up.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@1358scratch 

@ten_o_nine wrote:

Sounds a little fishy for the price, sending a truck and back for a $350 item? I wouldn't scan the QR  code.

What can hackers get access to if you scan a fake QR code?
A scammer's QR code could take you to a spoofed site that looks real but isn't. And if you log in to the spoofed site, the scammers could steal any information you enter. Or the QR code could install malware that steals your information before you realize it. Dec 6, 2023

Dangerous if you just scan QR codes from your phone (without correctly using the eBay app) and then follow unknown QR codes to websites other than eBay. And then randomly click on whatever is presented to you. 

You should always scan the code from your eBay app (or enter the codes manually) as directed by eBay (scan the code into eBay before releasing your item) Let your buyer know you must have and scan the code before their item will be released:

Offering local pickup | eBay

Message 7 of 7
latest reply