cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged Twice for Shipping

I sold an item on Ebay and Ebay charged me twice for USPS shipping of a single item, single box. The item was delivered to the USPS in a single box yet, Ebay and USPS show two boxes with two different tracking numbers in their possession.  I voided one of the shipping labels per Ebay. 

How do I get this fixed?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@outback_usa wrote:

I sold an item on Ebay and Ebay charged me twice for USPS shipping of a single item, single box. The item was delivered to the USPS in a single box yet, Ebay and USPS show two boxes with two different tracking numbers in their possession.  I voided one of the shipping labels per Ebay. 

How do I get this fixed?

@outback_usa 

I recently discovered this issue on dot ca. I voided a shipment but eBay considers the item shipped as 2 shipments until the void has time to run its course and you get refunded. (Basically A +B = AB). On ca it can take 21 days for a void to get refunded. Same thing can happen if you edit an entered tracking number after the fact. System "believes" you have sent twice. If your customers asks just confirm with them the correct tracking number and that is the 1 to monitor. If you don't hear back from eBay at the 21 day mark or whatever it is on dot com follow up with eBay on your refund. With many things eBay often you have to nudge the gears to get things to finish moving. 

-Lotz

From eBay/USPS they just want to make sure the label did not get used before processing the refund. In practice Label 1 should only show as created. As long as it never got used and scanned at a depot into transit.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

How do I get this fixed?

@outback_usa 

If you've voided the unused label, you're all set. USPS refunds take about 2-3 weeks. Hang in there...

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

After you void a label and USPS waits the appropriate time, you are not notified in any way other that seeing the  refund in your transaction history.

My last refund was faster than the 2-3 weeks, but I have no clue whether that is the new normal.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@outback_usa wrote:

How do I get this fixed?

@outback_usa 

Have both tracking numbers been scanned by the USPS? What about the one that you voided, specifically?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Yes, they both show scanned but only one package was taken to the USPS PO. 

This REALLY LOOKS LIKE an EBAY Corp Scam to double charge for shipping.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@outback_usa wrote:

@outback_usa 

If the PO hasn't touched the second label, how does it show 'Scanned'? Scanned by who? I'm confused...

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@outback_usa wrote:

How do I get this fixed?

@outback_usa 

I recently discovered this issue on dot ca. I voided a shipment but eBay considers the item shipped as 2 shipments until the void has time to run its course and you get refunded. (Basically A +B = AB). On ca it can take 21 days for a void to get refunded. Same thing can happen if you edit an entered tracking number after the fact. System "believes" you have sent twice. If your customers asks just confirm with them the correct tracking number and that is the 1 to monitor. If you don't hear back from eBay at the 21 day mark or whatever it is on dot com follow up with eBay on your refund. With many things eBay often you have to nudge the gears to get things to finish moving. 

-Lotz

From eBay/USPS they just want to make sure the label did not get used before processing the refund. In practice Label 1 should only show as created. As long as it never got used and scanned at a depot into transit.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

So am I. 

I stated package dimensions in the Ebay Post. Once the item sold, I slightly reduced the package dimensions and saved a few $'s. I then printed that label and took it to the PO.  Ebay billed me for the shipping of the original dimensions package and the actual package that was shipped with slightly smaller dimensions.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

This is pretty much what I am seeing. How Ebay get's the USPS to show acceptance of two different shipments when only one was handed to the USPS is EXTREMELY SKETCHY!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@outback_usa wrote:

There's no way a voided label would show as scanned unless YOU took it to the post office or you mailed something iwth that label on it. 

It's certainly NOT an ebay scam since you're the one who is (or was) in possession of the label.)

Please post the tracking number of the label you voided. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

"There's no way a voided label would show as scanned unless YOU took it to the post office or you mailed something iwth that label on it "

Lol.. NOPE!

And now there is some progress as the USPS shows the second billing as only "Label Created". Prior, it showed that the item had been received by the USPS.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@outback_usa wrote:

"There's no way a voided label would show as scanned unless YOU took it to the post office or you mailed something iwth that label on it "

Lol.. NOPE!

And now there is some progress as the USPS shows the second billing as only "Label Created". Prior, it showed that the item had been received by the USPS.

When you purchase a label the tracking will always say label created. It is not considered being tracked until the postal carrier or clerk scans it. When it is actually scanned it will either say acceptance or USPS is in possession of the item.  

The first image below is of a label I voided in February. It shows a label has been created. Since the label was never scanned I received my refund.  
The second image shows when a label has been scanned because it shows acceptance.

IMG_1642.jpeg

IMG_1643.jpeg

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@outback_usa wrote:

So am I. 

I stated package dimensions in the Ebay Post. Once the item sold, I slightly reduced the package dimensions and saved a few $'s. I then printed that label and took it to the PO.  Ebay billed me for the shipping of the original dimensions package and the actual package that was shipped with slightly smaller dimensions.

I think what happened is you purchased 2 labels, first with one set of dimensions then realized you could use a smaller box and save money. So you bought a second label. 

You may have though you voided the first label but didn't void it. As such, you were charged for both labels, even if one of them didn't get scanned. 

@outback_usa You're claiming both were scanned but I don't believe that happened.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@outback_usa wrote:

So am I. 

@outback_usa 

This makes more sense. eBay shows that you purchased a label (two in fact), but if you never used the first label, it will show 'Label created' until it receives a PO scan. With no PO scans, your first (voided) label will be credit, since never used.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Again, both Ebay and USPS showed USPS acceptance of packages in two different tracking numbers. 

If not, I would not have spent my time on this forum.

I then voided the the slightly higher cost tracking number. A few hours later that tracking number regressed to showing that only the Shipping Label had been printed.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply