cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anything happen to a buyer when you report them for not paying?

I don't like to report a buyer for not paying. It may be just my store, but it seems like a lot of buyers are not paying lately. I don't know if other sellers are having problems. Does ebay do anything to buyers after you submit a report. I know I can add them to my block list, but what punishment do they receive if any if you do report them for not paying?  What stops them from purchasing other items from other sellers.  

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Well, sometimes this happens.....

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/I-can-t-BID-the-item-I-wanted/m-p/34315590#M478789

That's why it helps to report a non paying buyer rather than just shrugging it off.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

If the seller cancels the sale for "buyer did not pay" the buyer gets a strike.

If the buyer gets two (or three?) of these strikes within a year, sellers are able to block them from buying/bidding.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Maybe lots of other sellers do not like reporting the buyer for not paying so those buyers can just continue doing so.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

@bryo_3145 

Does ebay do anything to buyers after you submit a report

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, they show them other items.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Nope ebay won't get rid of them.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

If you report a buyer for not paying after 96 hours, then he will get a strike.

Based upon how many strikes the buyer has, sellers can bar him from purchasing.

My buyer requirements are set to bar any buyer with two unpaid item strikes within 12 months. You can set your own parameters.

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

And it has worked for me. But that's only because other sellers reported these buyers. 

It's a way we sellers can look out for each other, and I encourage you to use it.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

If you don't block a buyer from deadbeating you, that only perpetuates the problem. Use automated UPI, that way you don't have to worry about doing it yourself - the process will play out, if the buyer doesn't pay in 4 days (or whatever time you give them), they get a non-payment strike on their record, and you can relist.

Sellers can set up buyer preferences to block sales from anyone with 2 or more strikes in a 12-month rolling period.

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Why would eBay "bite" the hand that feeds them? All the buyer will receive is the obligatory "slap" of the hand. 

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Two in twelve months is the strictest you can make.

No one can actually set their parameters lower than that.  

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

I know I can add them to my block list, but what punishment do they receive if any if you do report them for not paying?

You just answered your own question. The punishment is that if they do it a couple times, then sellers have the option to block them. 

What stops them from purchasing other items from other sellers.  

If they do it a couple times, then those sellers have the option to block them. Some sellers choose not to block them, perhaps because either (a) they have no issues with non-paying buyers, or (b) they use Immediate Payment Required. I haven't had a non-paying buyer in years.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

"Thank you for all your input, and support." 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@bryo_3145 

I believe if you report them & then block them they get a strike.  One too many of those and they cannot purchase on eBay for I believe one year.  That doesn't mean they can't open another account & start the annoying buyer behavior all over again.  I guess that's just eBay.  IMO

Happy Selling

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote: ... they get a strike.  One too many of those and they cannot purchase on eBay for I believe one year. ...

The block based on nonpayment strikes  is not as strong as that.  

Sellers can choose to block bidders/buyers who have gotten two or more nonpayment strikes in the past year, but even a bidder with loads of strikes will be able to purchase from sellers who have not set up the option.  Some of those sellers might not know about the option, but others might choose not to set it up because all of their items are fixed price with "immediate payment required" so a buyer's nonpayment history doesn't matter to them.

Even when a seller sets up the strongest option (i.e., 2 strikes in 12 months), that block loses its effectiveness as soon as that first strike rolls off.  For instance if a buyer gets a strike in March and a second one in August, the block will take effect in August but will expire in March when that earlier strike is over 12 months old.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Not much.   They are blocked from bidding by sellers that have their account set to do so. But the non payment strikes age off in one year and they can bid again.   Selling fixed price / buy it now set to require payment right away is the best way to prevent that.

Filing the report does get the selling fees refunded.  Not the listing fees however.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

I don't like to report a buyer for not paying. It may be just my store, but it seems like a lot of buyers are not paying lately. I don't know if other sellers are having problems. Does ebay do anything to buyers after you submit a report. I know I can add them to my block list, but what punishment do they receive if any if you do report them for not paying?  What stops them from purchasing other items from other sellers.  

what happens is that ebay reminds them to leave feedback on the non transaction😁

Message 15 of 30
latest reply