cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay refunded a buyer after he opened a $100 pack and then he claimed it was damaged

Buyer claimed damage to a wax pack AFTER he opened it.  EBay allowed buyer to return item to me which was now worthless to me as an unopened pack.  Charged me full price of pack plus cost to return.  It looks like EBay allows a buyer to open a pack and if they aren’t happy with contents, claim it was damaged and return for a full refund.  Not fair to seller at all!!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

EBay refunded a buyer after he opened a $100 pack and then he claimed it was damaged

"Which it wasnt"

The only evidence of this is from a bias party.

They claim that isn't true, and due to consumer protection laws their word is more meaningful than a sellers.

This is normal for all marketplaces.

EBay does provide some protection to mitigate the loss.

Two policies that can allow the seller to deduct upto 50% of refund for loss due to altered condition.

1 policy is part of TRS and required 30 day returns.

1 policy is for all sellers above average that offer 30 day FREE returns.

In order to use this policy you have to accept the return and have them ship it back. Then you report buyer for altered condition and refund with deduction.

If you refuse return or don't handle things accordingly and eBay gets asked to step in then the ability to deduct from the refund will be removed and a full refund will be due.

If the buyer complains about the deduction to eBay then eBay has the option to pay the part that was deducted from eBays pocket.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

@lobster4 wrote:

It looks like EBay allows a buyer to open a pack and if they aren’t happy with contents, claim it was damaged and return for a full refund.  Not fair to seller at all!!

Yep.

Report them, if they do it enough they get their ability to open returns taken away.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Not taking any ones side here but...

How do you know the buyer opened ? 

Did the buyer tell you that or are you just assuming? 
eBay allowed the buyer to return? You offer free returns so it was you that actually allowed it. 
You have no idea what packages go through while in transit.

This statement makes no sense... "EBay allows a buyer to open a pack and if they aren’t happy with contents, claim it was damaged and return for a full refund." How would eBay know one way or the other if the pack was supposed to be opened or not? 

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

He took a photos of opened pack and sent to me.  

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Let me guess, the value went to zero didn't it? 

The secondary market always seems to value packs as if they had a top card in them, when 90 percent chance they don't.

I accidentally opened a $250 Magic the Gathering pack once, the rare was worth 50 cents.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Buyer told EBay after he opened pack and sent me photos.  I told him no returns since pack was opened and condition of pack had been altered.  He complained to EBay that pack was damaged AFTER opening and they let him return and full refund.  I argued hard with EBay and they would not let me talk to decision maker and said their decision WAS final.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

I did report them but the refund still cost me $112.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

I offer free returns because that is Ebay policy.  Even if the seller says no returns, EBay still allows a return.  Before the return was given, EBay told buyer that I did not allow returns on altered items. They still allowed him to return it for full refund.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

This is a horrible precedent to start.  There is no way to know if he got a major hit out the pack, and replaced it with a common, to return to you.  Eventually that will bring a screeching halt to pack sales.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Buyer admitted opening and sent photos of opened pack

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

I asked EBay what to do about future pack sales and they did not answer me.  I wanted to know so I could decide  if I would sell packs in the future. Don’t think I will.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

I had a similar episode with a Topps finest card. The customer peeled off the protective covering on the card and in turn scratched the card with her fingernail. I ended up losing the money to a refund with no return of card. I also had a photo sent to me showing that the customer altered the card. When I looked at her feedback left for others she had given out over 15 negatives to sellers in a 3 month period. Then I complained to eBay about the episode I didn't even get a reply back from them, but about 2 weeks later the customer showed up as a Non-Registered user. Can't say for sure it was my complaint that did anything but the customer got what they deserved in the end. 

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

@lobster4 wrote:

I did report them but the refund still cost me $112.

Yep.

...but if sellers do not report buyers like this, they just get to do it again and again and again

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

100% Correct

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

How do we know who opened the pack, you or the buyer?

We don't.  Neither does ebay.

That's why they have to take the buyers word for it.

This kind of thing happens from time to time.

It's all part of doing business online.

Hopefully it doesn't happen too often.

You have to plan for these types of loses.

Sorry this happened to you.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 15 of 46
latest reply