cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay says SNAD not my fault, but I have to pay return shipping anyway.

Quick summary, I sold a Dell certfied refurbished laptop to a buyer. The laptop had a couple small marks on the back and I listed this in the auction and incldued pictures. I also listed the item as manufacturered refurbished and I offer 30 day returns, buyer pays return shipping

The buyer received the laptop and filed a SNAD stating that the box was previously open and that it should have been factory sealed and the laptop should have been listed as "Used". Not sure where he is getting the "factory sealed" part, because that is not how Ebay classifies a refurbished item. The seller had no complaints with the laptop itself.

Now I have no problem accepting the return, however I didn't think I should have to pay the return shipping. So I went back and forth with Ebay on the phone and by email.

Finally I received this response from an Ebay rep.

So Ebay has confirmed that I did nothing wrong and that my item was listed correctly and that the buyer received the correct item, however because the buyer's "expecations" were not met that I am responsible for return shipping.

So even though free returns aren't mandatory, in the end that's basically going to be the result.

Message 1 of 142
latest reply
141 REPLIES 141

Looks like in this situation Ebay will reimburse you for the shipping costs but in the future all customers will be able to return items for any reason at seller's expense just as they are able to do with Amazon or any major retailer.  Again, unless you have high volume or sell lightweight and/or very high margin items (70%+ GPM), selling on Ebay is no longer a viable option for small sellers.  This has been the slow trend since Donahoe came over from Bain, the Taliban of corporate America.

By the way, and this is pure speculation on my part, I would guess that Ebay gets a larger discount from USPS than is noted when you pay postage through Ebay, and that is both for shipping and returns. When I had my brick and mortar store my vendors often charged me the full shipping even when they received the usual 60% or more volume discount from the shipping company.  And yes, volume disocunts are often over 50% below rack rates, the rate you pay at the counter.

Message 2 of 142
latest reply

Yes Ebay is going to refund my shipping which is good, but it more about the priniciple with me.

But your right, it seems like Ebay is trying to weed out small sellers which eventually will most likely happen. If that is the case, I could see a new "Ebay" started by another company that will operate the way Ebay originally started.

I think you nailed it on the shipping, in the end Ebay is going to take care of Ebay first.

Message 3 of 142
latest reply

I don’t understand why they have to “reimburse the seller”. Sounds like a way to save money to me. They BILL the sellers monthly invoice for the label, so it makes more sense to simply NOT BILL the seller. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 142
latest reply

I agree, it really doesn't make sense. Mabe they are hoping that I won't contact them again and I won't get the refund for the shipping from Ebay.

Message 5 of 142
latest reply

@auction_brokers

I asked this on your other thread but you never responded.  Do you have a Return Policy?

Message 6 of 142
latest reply

Sorry for not responding, I do have 30 day returns with buyers paying return shipping.

Message 7 of 142
latest reply

@auction_brokers wrote: 

This appears to be Unjust & Unfair to a seller.

Message 8 of 142
latest reply

That's what I thought. So as a seller, even if you do everything perfectly and follow Ebay policy to the letter, it doesn't matter.

Message 9 of 142
latest reply

@auction_brokers wrote:

Quick summary, I sold a Dell certfied refurbished laptop to a buyer. The laptop had a couple small marks on the back and I listed this in the auction and incldued pictures. I also listed the item as manufacturered refurbished and I offer 30 day returns, buyer pays return shipping

The buyer received the laptop and filed a SNAD stating that the box was previously open and that it should have been factory sealed and the laptop should have been listed as "Used". Not sure where he is getting the "factory sealed" part, because that is not how Ebay classifies a refurbished item. The seller had no complaints with the laptop itself.

Now I have no problem accepting the return, however I didn't think I should have to pay the return shipping. So I went back and forth with Ebay on the phone and by email.

So Ebay has confirmed that I did nothing wrong and that my item was listed correctly and that the buyer received the correct item, however because the buyer's "expecations" were not met that I am responsible for return shipping.

So even though free returns aren't mandatory, in the end that's basically going to be the result.

@Anonymous so ebay is now guaranteeing the buyer will get what they expected? Clearly there has been a major change to the MBG, why hasn’t it been announced and why wasn’t it included in the spring update?basically eBay has forced ALL sellers to provide free returns.  

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 142
latest reply

Exactly, this is a big change but I didn't hear about it until today, it wasn't mentioned anywhere else.

So pretty much you are going to do free returns whether you sign up for it or not.

Message 11 of 142
latest reply

@auction_brokers wrote:

Sorry for not responding, I do have 30 day returns with buyers paying return shipping.

@auction_brokers     No problem.  I figured that might be the case.   Hopefully, you will receive your item back and in good condition.

Message 12 of 142
latest reply

Seems to me logically the buyer is due what a reasonable person reading the listing would expect to receive.  After all,  nobody is getting free money if they purchase a hamburger at McDonalds and claim to have expected a Morton's steak. 

Message 13 of 142
latest reply

That's right, all we can do is list the item and the specs, how are we able to determine what the buyer's perception is, that's completey random.

My buyer had no problem with the item itself, his issue was with the box being open. I think he didn't catch the pictures of the cosmetic defects, so when he received it he used the open box excuse. It sounded like buyer's remorse.

But as far as Ebay is concerned now, it doesn't matter why a buyer returns an item. As long as they say not as described they are good to go with no recourse from the seller.

Message 14 of 142
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@auction_brokers wrote:

zicca0     No problem.  I figured that might be the case.   Hopefully, you will receive your item back and in good condition.

I wonder how this thinking will apply to sellers with a no return policy?  Will remorse returns disguised as SNADs have the same requirement to do as the systems says?

Message 15 of 142
latest reply