cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding some items from free shipping

I offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Most of my items are small so it is not an issue. But I do sell some larger items weighing several pounds that I'd like to exclude from this. It just eats into my profit too much to ship those big items for free. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do this. I have the shipping discount set up under Shipping Preferences and it seems to be a global option. I have separate shipping profiles set up for my regular items and my large items but the shipping preferences section doesn't appear to have any way to only apply it to one shipping profile. Can anyone advise me on how to handle this (or point me in the right direction).

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@kyles_plants wrote:

I offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Most of my items are small so it is not an issue. But I do sell some larger items weighing several pounds that I'd like to exclude from this. It just eats into my profit too much to ship those big items for free. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do this. I have the shipping discount set up under Shipping Preferences and it seems to be a global option. I have separate shipping profiles set up for my regular items and my large items but the shipping preferences section doesn't appear to have any way to only apply it to one shipping profile. Can anyone advise me on how to handle this (or point me in the right direction).

Thanks!

To manage free shipping while excluding certain larger items, it's essential to utilize the shipping profile and rule features of your e-commerce platform effectively. Begin by ensuring you have separate shipping profiles set up for regular and large items.

Then, navigate to your platform's shipping preferences or settings to establish shipping rules. Create a rule that applies the free shipping discount only to orders meeting the criteria for regular items, typically by setting a minimum order value.

If your platform doesn't offer a built-in solution to exclude specific items, consider manually adjusting shipping costs for large items on a case-by-case basis. Lastly, clearly communicate your shipping policies on your website to ensure customers understand any exclusions or exceptions to the free shipping offer.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You can set shipping parameters for each and every listing.

A feather = Free shipping.

A hand mixer = $20 shipping.

A set of barbells = $100 shipping.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I appreciate the response but it doesn't address what I'm asking. I have a profile for normal items that is $5.99 for the first item and $1.50 for each additional item. I have a profile for large items that is $15 and $5 for each additional item. The problem comes in with the free shipping for purchases over $50. That is set up in Shipping Preferences and as far as I can tell applies globally. Either it is on for everything or for nothing. I don't know how to only make it apply to my standard shipping profile not the large item one. Most of the large items I sell are listed for over $50 so as it stands now simply buying one means it is free shipping because of how free shipping is set up and I don't want that.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

This is a generic, unhelpful answer that appears to have been written by ChatGPT.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

From what I can tell, you should be able to set up a Shipping Policy that does not follow your Promotional Shipping Rule. You may be able to do this without policies, but since we use them I can't see what the settings look like without them currently.  Here's the option I see:

brightlightbookseller_0-1714148215138.png

That last checkbox should be unchecked for the policy or shipping settings for your large items you don't want to offer free shipping on.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

you have the option to select your shipping details on every listing.

1. weight

2. the dims of required shipping package

3. calculate shipping based on buyers' location

4. handling cost like safe packing materials, labels, or signature required. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply