cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False snad to get free shipping both ways

Once a dishonest buyer files a snad to score free shipping both ways, is there any way to prove to eBay it WAS exactly as described, and they should credit you for the return shipping label? 

Once I requested returning an item on Poshmark, and I had to send photos with measurements to prove it. It was a strenuous process! I'm astounded that a buyer on eBay doesn't have to even offer 1 sentence on how it is "not as described". It's a betrayal to and abandonment of honest sellers. It invites abuse. It teaches and rewards dishonesty and selfishness.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Ebay does have a protection possible return shipping reimbursement for top rated sellers up to $6 who offer 30 day returns.

That's about it.

Buyers lie about reason on every marketplace, since the beginning.

No marketplace makes buyers prove its INAD.

You can't take the sellers word because they are a biased party and it would allow a lot of bad sellers to take advantage of buyers.

This is just a cost of doing business and will remain that way.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

@maubrn 

Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately it will happen to the best of us.

Once item is returned and you realize it’s exactly as described, make sure you refund buyer first, block this buyer, then report buyer, choosing reason; buyer made false claim. If you are a TRS or better, you will then qualify for up to a $6 credit towards shipping. Of course, this normally doesn’t cover actual shipping, but it’s something.

We have had this happen a couple times and did eventually receive those credits, but it’s all in eBay time, so don’t expect a credit to show immediately. Hope this helps!

Happy sales! 🛍

Kiks

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

@maubrn ,

If sellers would just free returns it would take the incentive for buyers to lie. Buyers don’t expect to have to pay for return shipping these days. Another big plus in offering free return postage is avoiding avoiding ding from eBay.

No platform wants be in the middle of he said she said dispute on whether or not an item was as described or not.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

It happens to many sellers, me included, but by offering a return policy with buyer paying the shipping, it gives honest ones that just want to return their item for whatever reason, a way to do so.  

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

It was summer of 2020 and Poshmark made me prove it was not as described before I could return it. It was a little annoying but mostly I was impressed that they had the seller's back. If anyone reading this sells on Poshmark I'd love to hear from you if they allow any return without an explanation these days.

Pictures would prove the item is exactly as described. But when I receive it it may not be as it used to be. They can ruin it or even swap it out and say they were sent the wrong item! 

I wish there was an option to not sell to zero feedback brand new id buyers without ruining seller performance and TRS. What is the "seller protection"? Thanks for any input. 

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

Thank you for that. What if they damaged it, or swapped it out? Do I still have to refund? She said it was the wrong size, I sent the size in the listing and in the pictures, the only one I have. What if she swaps it out?

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

On the other hand, if buyers knew they had to pay for shipping if they had been careless or lazy, this scam wouldn't be happening.  I spend an extra 45 minutes a listing to photo measurements, plus put them in the description, can't they take the time to look and read? I'm losing $30 in shipping because they are being rewarded for abusing the system. And on my budget that hurts. I'm not Amazon.

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

How things are described is subjective and can be arbitrary.  What somebody considers green another may think has a blue value.   What you believe is large another may think is medium.  When making listings you have to write about the item with a neutral eye.  If you try to hype it up you stand the chance of making a blunder.  

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

That's a good point, honest ones can pay return shipping. Does that mean you cover the initial shipping?

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Just report them. The more times they get reported eventually ebay gets this buyer number. Ebay takes action if different sellers report them. I have won cases where the buyer has to reurn item and pay shipping. I sell the item again , same listings and photo and this different buyer likes it.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

Thank you for that. What if they damaged it, or swapped it out? Do I still have to refund? She said it was the wrong size, I sent the size in the listing and in the pictures, the only one I have. What if she swaps it out?

They could ship back an empty box and you would still have to refund.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 45
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

On the other hand, if buyers knew they had to pay for shipping if they had been careless or lazy, this scam wouldn't be happening.  I spend an extra 45 minutes a listing to photo measurements, plus put them in the description, can't they take the time to look and read? I'm losing $30 in shipping because they are being rewarded for abusing the system. And on my budget that hurts. I'm not Amazon.

If you accepted returns, buyers would know they would have to pay return shipping and the honest ones would.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 45
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

That's a good point, honest ones can pay return shipping. Does that mean you cover the initial shipping?

If you accept returns and the buyer files a remorse return, they would pay return shipping and you could deduct the original shipping the buyer paid from the refund.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 45
latest reply

@maubrn 

So, short answer, yes. Doesn't matter if they send you an empty box, damaged item, different item, you do still need to refund. If eBay has to step in, that is not good for you. Chalk it up to doing business and report them!! 

As stated by others here, eBay does not want to get in the middle of he said, she said. 

We truly love selling here and you need to understand that sometimes things just happen. You can't fix crazy nor mean vindictive people. This is business, not personal. Treat it that way and you will do well!

Happy Sales! 🛍

Kiks

Message 15 of 45
latest reply