cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time selling need help please

Alright, so I’m selling an Xbox one with 9 games and all the cords right and a brand new controller right. Someone bought it, 80$ + 13.12$ shipping + 6.90$ tax.

At the bottoms of the page it says 

What you earned:

order total: 100.2

eBay collected from buyer

sales tax: -6.90 

Selling costs

transaction fees: -13.65

ad standard fee: -11.30

Order earnings: 68.17

which is a number I’m cool with right. Than I go press “purchase shipping label” I go there, and it says it costs 27.79…. So my question is, does that 27.79 COME OUT of the 68.17? Because that’s a pretty **bleep** high number, so therefore is it pretty much telling me that  I’m only getting 40 **bleep** dollars for an entire Xbox, a brand new controller, all the cords, and 9 **bleep** games???? I look online and it says they’ll “only take 10-15%” but this is literally 50 **bleep** % like what the **bleep**? This has me mad as hell I’m not selling my **bleep** and canceling the order if that’s the case. I’d be better off going to GAME STOP.. do you know how pathetic it is that I would get more money from game stop?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You chose the wrong shipping cost 

@steady2304 

In the case of the OP's listing it was set to CALCULATED shipping.  The OP is listed as being in California.  CA to me in FL would be the $27.79.  If the OP is actually in California, and shipped to Los Angeles the cost would be $15.11.  

So, yes, something is not right.  Just not sure what it is yet. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

which is a number I’m cool with right. Than I go press “purchase shipping label” I go there, and it says it costs 27.79…. So my question is, does that 27.79 COME OUT of the 68.17? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

which is a number I’m cool with right. Than I go press “purchase shipping label” I go there, and it says it costs 27.79…. So my question is, does that 27.79 COME OUT of the 68.17? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Others have already answered your question about where the money comes from but you are a new seller and there are  couple of things you should be aware of. 

1. EBay charges 13.25% FVF (for most categories) on the total purchase (items cost + shipping + sales tax) + $.40. You DO NOT have to use promote listings which is the ad standard fee that is entirely optional and your choice. 

2. It is critical that you have the proper weight and dims in the listing if you are using calculated shipping. As long as you are NOT passing along the shipping discount to the buyer the shipping the buyer paid should exceed what it actually cost you for the label. In this case there is something wrong since the buyer only paid you $13.12 for the shipping. 

While the effective eBay fee is always a bit higher than the 13.25% it seldom exceeds 20% unless the seller is promoting the listing or making some other error when listing, aka the shipping cost. Had I been the buyer I would have paid you $27.79 in shipping cost. 

What were the dims on the package, what was the weight and what zip code did the item ship to? Are you passing on the shipping discount to the buyer? Check your seller settings. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1713993832665.png

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I have 2 questions for you.

#1 Where did you come up with the $13.12 you charged the buyer for shipping?

#2 Why did you promote the listing at such a high percentage 11.3%? 

It never fails to amaze me that new sellers don't read the TOS and seller fees schedule before listing and then complain when they think they are being shafted by eBay. You chose the wrong shipping cost and to promote the listing without fully understanding what you were doing. Hopefully you don't cancel the sale and take this as a learning experience to read before listing. Also, if you do ship to your buyer don't expect your payment for at least 30 days as eBay policy holds new and infrequent sellers' funds for up to 30 days to make sure there are no problems with the sale.

You can access the shipping money if you use eBay labels to ship.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

does that 27.79 COME OUT of the 68.17?

------------------------------------------

Yes.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@bigtarkybo 

Yes, it comes out of the cost remitted by the buyer who paid you for the shipping cost as well as the item. Next time you need to weight and measure your item before posting the s&h price as this is the result and you will not receive the amount of cash you thought you would.  Do more research and read up on being a seller on eBay.  It can be very helpful for you in the future.

PS All of your shipping prices are WAY off and you need to re calculate them or you are just going to lose more money guessing the S&H price. 

Congrats on your sale!

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Yes, the shipping cost will come out of that.

If the buyer only paid $13 for shipping, but it's going to cost you $27, you made a mistake entering the weight and dimensions in the listing.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@bigtarkybo 

I just looked at your listing.  It shows (if I were to purchase this) shipping would be $27.79 in FL from you in CA.  Where is your $13.12 coming from?  Even calculated to Los Angeles it would be $15.11 unless you did not know about changing your shipping preferences to NOT offer your discounted rate (they are setting everyone's to YES) to the buyer .  You also have been assessed a pretty steep "promotion" or add fee of $11.30.  Did you promote this at a high percentage?  Why?  Did eBay suggest you do this, and you obeyed? 

Generally, if you charge for shipping, the buyer pays that amount and it is given to you to purchase the label. Looks like you got only $13.12.  If the address is closer to you, did you fill out the from/to, weight, and size appropriately when purchasing the label?  Are you using eBay labels?  At first glance, it appears you may not be using the appropriate information when getting a price for your shipping label. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@bigtarkybo 

You don't need to post your question with the MANY bleeps again.  Many were nice enough to answer your first "bleep" question.  Please be respectful of the helpful's here and this forum.  We're all adults...please respond as one. TY. 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

You chose the wrong shipping cost 

@steady2304 

In the case of the OP's listing it was set to CALCULATED shipping.  The OP is listed as being in California.  CA to me in FL would be the $27.79.  If the OP is actually in California, and shipped to Los Angeles the cost would be $15.11.  

So, yes, something is not right.  Just not sure what it is yet. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Thank you I really appreciate that, I didn’t know that about the shipping, I just let it stay at the automatic price it sets it at, thank you for the advice that really means a lot I didn’t know any of that would factor in. Thank you for being nice as well

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Yeah looking back some of the information wasn’t right and yeah I accepted the promotion because it said it was only 1$ when it popped up after making the post, than it sky rocketed after. The guy who purchased it is in Turlock CA which is only a few hours away from where I stay at. I didn’t put the correct hieght and weight I just left it what eBay puts it at default because I didn’t think that would affect anything. Looking back that’s pretty dumb of me to think that. 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

You sold the item for $80 + $13.12 shipping.

Where did you come up with $13.12?

Ebay will take their cut of that $13.12 (about $2.50).

So you really undercharged for shipping. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Other people noted I probably put the wrong weight and height which I know i did looking back. I just left it at the default eBay puts it at which is completely wrong on my end. The guy who bought it is in Turlock Ca, which is only a couple hours from me

Message 15 of 26
latest reply