cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal to have a "slow spell?"

I'm really quite new at this. Over the last week, I've had basically what a day of orders looked like a month ago.

I got my first ebay store subscription a few days ago - does that have something to do with it?

Cheers.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, there will be times you think the shoppers have left forever.  Slow spells are normal in sales of all kinds.  

August is one of the slowest months for many sellers because people go on vacation before school starts.  I take a week or two off every August to stretch my buying trips a little farther from home.   August is also a key month for preparing for holiday listings for the November and December sales season.  

As for your categories, books can be literal dust collectors for months or years and one day you wake up and a title sells that you had forgotten you even had.   I sold a couple books this month and see book sales as a bonus rather than something I expect to move quickly.

The only other point I would make today is that it helps to expect the unexpected in our current health crises that is just 18 months old.  New normals are being established for the first time in many peoples' lives.

Patience when selling on-line is key.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

yes, entirely normal to have slow days.........having a store has nothing to do with it........

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

You need to take a look at what you are selling. There is perhaps to much competition and your items are not really in demand so not fast movers. I would consider researching what is selling fast and changing categories to something that will more likely get regular sales. A month seems to long. Also I would get rid of all the backgrounds on things like movies and books etc. ebay has a standard background already. Your main image should be the item say a dvd would show the cover front as first image, completely cropped. So the images shows a lot nicer in search results with no background. Just trying to help you the backgrounds in your main pics for books, dvds etc do not look appealing. Take your Hitler book it should have no background around the book in the main pic and the image should be dead flat. There are ebay groups on Facebook you should probably join some and ask for advice from other experienced  ebay sellers. Also I'd suggest you have a returns policy 30 days buyer pays return shipping. In your shoes I would stop listing more for now and go and improve all the images on current listings.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Slow times in retail is expected and part of the ebb and flow of selling.

I took a look at your listings. I am curious, as you are a self-described newbie, where did you pick up the terms of sale you have outlined in your description field? And why have you included them? Taken from the prototype knock-off Furby listing:

Item sold as is, no warranties expressed or advertised. Reference photos for condition. Do your own due diligence on item, no appraisal or authenticity paperwork provided. If you have not read the entirety of this listing or do not understand this listing, DO NOT PURCHASE ITEM. Thank you.”

As there is no such thing as “as-is” on eBay, and the terms as outlined are unenforceable, you might reconsider their inclusion. Asking buyers NOT to buy is counter-productive and bad for business. EBay is not a “buyer beware” platform. In fact, it is the opposite. Sellers on eBay bear all the risk—it is not a shared responsibility as eBay puts buyer’s interests far ahead of seller’s.

One other thought: Ebay expects absolutes when listing items for sale. There can be no question about what is being sold. Otherwise it is a NAD waiting to happen.

For example, the butterfly paperweight is described as a real specimen, maybe, but that buyers must determine that for themselves by examining the photos. Where eBay is concerned, it either is a genuine insect or it is not. Buyers cannot guess at something’s authenticity. There is no hedging bets on eBay.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

It is a dry season

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

"I am curious, as you are a self-described newbie,"

New to eBay, not new to sales, I should have been more clear, my apologies.

The reason my language has grown more specific is I have a listing entitled, "Pick 4 DVDs for $10 SHIPPED! 150+ to choose from! MUST BUY 4! READ LISTING!"

As I'm sure you could imagine - few people read the listing. They buy one, or two. Then get upset when I ask them to do a "second transaction to get to four in total, and I'll price adjust you back down to 4 for $10." This listing is in every way a disaster and was a complete waste of my time to make. 

14% of American adults are or near illiterate, a statistic I refused to accept for a long time. Over the last three months, selling on ebay, I now believe it. 

They aren't completely unenforceable. If a buyer has attempted fraudulent activity, it's easier to pin them down with said language. If they buy a box set and within the listing it notates that a disc is missing, I don't have to take it back, so on and so forth. That language has proved beneficial in at least two instances. This language prevents those NADs, even if not as an absolute prevention measure.

Obviously, there are other more highly effective prevention measures. Before I ship I disc, I scan it. It has the barcode from the printing press in the inside of the CD, a one of a kind number. That has saved me once as well.

I obviously wish eBay would just side with it's sellers when reasonable, but unfortunately, this usually is not a world we live in. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yes, there will be times you think the shoppers have left forever.  Slow spells are normal in sales of all kinds.  

August is one of the slowest months for many sellers because people go on vacation before school starts.  I take a week or two off every August to stretch my buying trips a little farther from home.   August is also a key month for preparing for holiday listings for the November and December sales season.  

As for your categories, books can be literal dust collectors for months or years and one day you wake up and a title sells that you had forgotten you even had.   I sold a couple books this month and see book sales as a bonus rather than something I expect to move quickly.

The only other point I would make today is that it helps to expect the unexpected in our current health crises that is just 18 months old.  New normals are being established for the first time in many peoples' lives.

Patience when selling on-line is key.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

New normals are definitely that extra factor I need to take into account, you're exactly right. Helpful comment, helps put my mind at ease, thank you.

Yeah, I know some of the books I've listed recently may never sell, but I'm really enjoying all my new insertion listings that come with an ebay store. I figured I should throw them up there.

It's the pause in everything else; CDs, DVDs, etc., but you're right about this too, I should chalk it up to people taking in the last few weeks of summer.

Thanks! 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Just want to make sure, you do know that eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers means that any buyer can open an item not as described case and you will be required to send that buyer a prepaid return label and to refund in full upon your receipt of the returned item?

Plus, I don't know about other buyers, but your description of that $349 item would turn me off completely because of the too many uncertainties you have outlined.  Cannot speak for other shoppers, of course.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I have not had that problem. In the one instance someone tried this, I stayed on the phone with eBay customer support for THREE HOURS (over just $7.31 net profit) to get them to undo it. It turns out the buyer had a history of doing that repeatedly and after just looking for his account - it is gone.

The good news is, if eBay doesn't side with me, the listing language leads me to having legal options outside of eBay against the buyer, if it is ever required and I certainly hope that it isn't. 

If someone doesn't know what they're buying - I'd prefer if they didn't. I find that the language used within the description may lead to slightly slower sales compared to the rest of the marketplace, but overall, I deal with VERY few bad buyers. I prefer it that way.

The reason for this post is I am down nearly 20%~ compared to my last month. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I found any advice and changes I took off eBay staff sent my sales downwards. Too many staff there are useless and detrimental. The moment I changed my account to a business account sales went down and down. And I paid £50 a month more before selling anything. I’ve complained to staff over n over to change back. They won’t and deny it can be done. It’s a trap. We are witnessing the arc of a sociopath with eBay. Good idea ruined by blind greed where eBay wants to take more n more hence sellers are going elsewhere. Sociopaths never listen and are always wrong.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

As others stated there are always ups and downs in the marketplace that are caused by lots of factors. It's like the stock market there is no real way to predict what is going to happen with 100% certainty. I am going to assume this is your posting account since I currently do not see any active listings for you. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

May I respectfully remind you of some information about CS reps that you may have missed?

1. The ordinary CS that you encounter via phone has absolutely no authority to change any of eBay's rules or policies.  Feel free to complain all you want, but it will make no difference.

2. And then there  is the fact that CS reps will tell you anything, agree with anything you say just to get  you off the phone and go on to the next caller so they can tell THEM anything and agree with anything THEY say.  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply