cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must I sell item to top bidder if they are not in the US and I have "no international shipping"?

Auction just ended.  ALL my auctions stipulate "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING".  The top 2 bidders are both from Mexico (1 has a 0 rating / the other has 8).  I would lose about $60 selling to the 3rd highest bidder, but would rather that than break my own rules and sell to a 0-rating bidder who is not in the US.

I thought of telling them I would sell them the item, but only with an international money order so they can't squeak out of the sale.  But maybe it would be best to let the 3rd highest bidder have it at the lower cost.

What would you do???

This Siggy Intentionally Left Blank

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Must I sell item to top bidder if they are not in the US and I have "no international shipping"?

If your listing only has shipping cost for the US, then they won't be able to pay you unless they use a US address.  They might have a US address that they have items shipped to, either for pickup or for forwarding.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

What are your reasons for not selling international?

Yes, there are more risks but also the potential to make more money and more sales by offering to a wider audience than just the USA as you're selling clearly demonstrates.

Go ahead and sell it to the top bidder and if they don't pay, then offer it to the next highest bidder down, and so on.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

They must have a shipping address in the US, otherwise they cannot pace a bid.   I live in Canada and have 2 locations in the US I get items shipped too, when sellers only ship in the US. Never had an issue.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

If you do ship direct to Mexico, all the forms will print when you do the label.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

If you did not actually set your blocks to exclude any non-US bidders/buyers, then yes, you need to sell it to them. You can't just say "no international shipping," you need to use the tools eBay has provided you to set your listing for US only.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

If they pay and provide a USA shipping address, you would not be shipping internationally and IMHO you should complete the sale. 

I thought of telling them I would sell them the item, but only with an international money order

Do you realize that you just posted a plan to violate eBay policy on eBay's own message board?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Cancel the Auction.  Make sure your Ship to (Shipping preferences)  fields list all the countries you do not ship to.  See what I did below.

liawrignq8rdwqa3_0-1642731073010.png

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

They haven't paid -- I did not offer a shipping option in the auction -- it says 'no international shipping'.

They can't pay until I send an invoice.  There shipping address is in Mexico.

I chose not to ship internationally after many years because I live far from a post office and it is way more involved.

This Siggy Intentionally Left Blank

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

In that case it is up to you to ship or not as the address is a valid issue per eBay. What you can do in the future is add Mexico to your shipping via eBay's GSP.  You ship it to Kentucky HQ and they ship it to Mexico. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

shipping to Mexico was not offered.

@just-a-kid-again 

if you want to ship to the buyer you can send an invoice, and the buyer will pay through the methods offered by eBay.

Living far from the Post Office is not a reason to not ship. A shipping label can be done on eBay just as for any sale. The customs portion needed will all be there. Not really any need to go to the Post Office.

If you do not want to ship to Mexico you do not have to send an invoice.

You can cancel as problem with buyers address.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I just looked at one of your sold items and your listing appears to have the proper settings in place to only ship domestically. That being said there is a very good possibility, and you won't know this until the seller pays, that they have a US shipping address associated with their account and either use a freight forwarder or somebody they know in the US to receive the items and forward them. There is nothing wrong with that and the seller protection is pretty good in these types of cases since your responsibility with regards to the MBG ends when the item is delivered to either the FF or the receiving US address. 

There is a bit of risk but everything you sell on eBay comes with some risk. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

A shipping label can be done on eBay just as for any sale. The customs portion needed will all be there. Not really any need to go to the Post Office.”

For security reasons, some international packages have to be handed to a carrier or over the counter. Some can’t be dropped in the post box. And now with covid interrupting usps international delivery to some countries, it is more involved selling overseas, beyond just printing the label. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

it says 'no international shipping'.

I understand that. 

They can't pay until I send an invoice. 

They can if they have a shipping address in the USA. 

There shipping address is in Mexico.

If they haven't paid, then you do not know where shipping address they will give you. Buyers can specify a shipping  address at payment time. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

If the item you sold is the Silkstone Barbie then it had a shipping option specified in the original listing. From looking at the posting it was specified as USPS priority mail. When I look at the listing I can get the shipping cost from Prescott, Arizona to my address in Northern Virginia. 

Not sure how far you are from a post office but when I was living on a farm USPS used to pickup any packages we shipped. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply