cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never sell on eBay

eBay is no longer for the seller. Sold an iPad for $800 on eBay. Was bought by a buyer with positive feedback and no indication of anything wrong. Shipped the item and then eBay notified me after it shipped the buyer disputed the transaction with the bank and no payout. In short the likely hood of the buyer getting the item and keeping the funds. They said it could take 90 days for a resolution and that I should try to intercept the package. eBay admitted on the phone that I did nothing wrong and the dispute will likely be in my favor. The agent said they would also credit the intercept fee. I did receive the item back. Think all is well? Nope.  Fast forward 60 days later and I’m told the buyer won the case, they were going to charge me the final value fees and dispute fee and not my package intercept fee. Argued and got everything but the intercept fee which I’m out. Can’t leave feedback for buyers unless positive. Ebay has become a joke on top of the ridiculous fees. I removed all other listings and I’m done with eBay after 20 years. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Never sell on eBay

You're mad at ebay because a buyer filed a chargeback?

How is that ebay's fault?

I hope you can find another platform where...

*Buyers are not allowed to do chargebacks.

*Sellers can leave buyers negative feedback.

*No ridiculous fees.

Good luck to you!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

When you dispute a chargeback there is always a $20.00 charge unless you win. 

The ebay rep you spoke to told you what you wanted to hear to get you off the phone. They dont refund you for intercepting a package,  that charge didn't go through ebay. You got your fee credit and your item

so what's your issue? Seems like a win win to me, most sellers lose both the $$ and the item in the dispute.

I've won several payment disputes by just uploading tracking into the case, since I won no fees where paid.

All buyers have 100% positive feedback, sellers havent been able to give negative or neutral feedback to buyers in over 15 yrs.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

Sorry this happened to you, you did nothing wrong, and did everything possible to protect yourself from outright fraud, I well remember when ebay and Paypal were operating in tandem, provided you shipped to the address on file you won every chargeback whenever  a buyer tried this scam, I had many multi-thousand scenarios, one call to Paypal, talk through the scenario with a real person, money back in your account, as it should be now.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

@mjg81 

Argued and got everything but the intercept fee which I’m out.

"Customers will not be charged if the shipment was not intercepted. If successfully intercepted, the non-refundable Package Intercept fee is applied to each intercept request."-USPS

You argued your case and eBay refunded you. The USPS charged you for an unsuccessful intercept and you haven't contacted them for your refund? And your conclusion is "Never sell on eBay (eBay is no longer for the seller)?"

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

@inhawaii wrote:

*No ridiculous fees.

Good luck to you!

I sell on a platform that ticks all those boxes which has adyen based payments. Free to use as well. Love it.

Oh and not chargebacks because it is connected to your bank account and mobile phone number. No question about who is purchasing. 1 day return window for disputes. Most popular platform in the country.

The ability to pull chargebackss is not a necessity for online purchases. I find it rather peculiar that there is this notion on these boards that it can't be any other way.

eBay could offer their sellers real protection, but they choose not to.

So many of these scam incidents are with apple products. It would be interesting if someone did research on the percentage of apple products that gets stolen on this platform.

List 10 new ipads/iphones as a newish seller, see how many issues arise. I would estimate that at least 3 of them would get stolen.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

Heck you're lucky, most sellers in your predicament wouldn't even get their original item back... It's what I was expecting to read when it all started with the $800 ipad is that you had lost it all, instead you only lost out on the fees and for that you will never sell here again.

I have to guess at this stage you were ready to leave ebay for good but you needed a reason, any reason... So I will help you a little bit: You don't actually need a reason to leave, also there's no need to announce it, in fact you can just go, nice as can be.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

As it has been said so many times, never sell anything you can't afford to lose both the item and the money.  I agree eBay is buyer-centric, but I will continue to sell here because the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

@assortedcollectibles wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

*No ridiculous fees.

Good luck to you!

I sell on a platform that ticks all those boxes which has adyen based payments. Free to use as well. Love it.

Oh and not chargebacks because it is connected to your bank account and mobile phone number. No question about who is purchasing. 1 day return window for disputes. Most popular platform in the country.

The ability to pull chargebackss is not a necessity for online purchases. I find it rather peculiar that there is this notion on these boards that it can't be any other way.

So many of these scam incidents are with apple products. It would be interesting if someone did research on the percentage of apple products that gets stolen on this platform.

List 10 new ipads/iphones as a newish seller, see how many issues arise. I would estimate that at least 3 of them would get stolen.

There is not an entity on Planet Earth that is 'immune' to credit card chargebacks (if an entity accepts credit cards, that is the agreement with the Banks and the 'entity' if they want to accept cc's). 

You getting paid in your 'bank' has NOTHING to do with how a buyer buys. As long as the 'site' allows a buyer to use a Credit/Debit card, the seller is on the hook for upwards of 180 days. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

*No ridiculous fees.

Good luck to you!

There is not an entity on Planet Earth that is 'immune' to credit card chargebacks (if an entity accepts credit cards, that is the agreement with the Banks and the 'entity' if they want to accept cc's). Period.

Wrong. At the end of the transaction it is a wire-transfer based system and you are SOL if you attempt to do so. Sure, now you will probably go on about how "you would never purchase from such a platform" and yaddiyadda, but where there is trust it is perfectly doable.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

Buyers can receive nothing but positive feedback so the feedback is pretty much useless as a buyer evaluation tool. You did not indicate the type of dispute but if the buyer opened it before they received the item it could be a case of credit card theft. You said you got the item back so the assumption is the intercept worked. 

Chargebacks are the worst to deal with especially NAD's where the seller has virtually no chance of winning and is the reason the buyer goes that route rather than filing an eBay case. I am surprised you actually got the item back had the buyer received it before the intercept there is a high probability that the CC company would not have required the buyer to return the item but would still have fully refunded them. 

On a final note customer support is USELESS these days and will tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone. I am actually surprised they credited you for the fees, does not surprise me about the intercept fee. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

There is not an entity on Planet Earth that is 'immune' to credit card chargebacks (if an entity accepts credit cards, that is the agreement with the Banks and the 'entity' if they want to accept cc's). 

While this is true there are things eBay could do to reduce the chargeback scams which a lot of them probably are. Under the current laws, while ambiguous in a lot of areas, the card hold is supposed to utilize the merchants claim system, if they have one, before resorting to a chargeback. However, this would require eBay to dedicate resources to work with the CC companies to refute chargebacks until the card holder filed a case through eBay's own claim process and for eBay to work the eBay claim. 

CC companies monitor merchants chargeback claims and have been known to revoke the CC use privileges for merchants that have a high rate of chargebacks so eBay does have a bit of an interest and while eBay's CC merchant use privileges are not likely to be revoked imagine the impact if VISA and/or Mastercard did do so. 

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

While this is true there are things eBay could do to reduce the chargeback scams which a lot of them probably are. Under the current laws, while ambiguous in a lot of areas, the card hold is supposed to utilize the merchants claim system, if they have one, before resorting to a chargeback. However, this would require eBay to dedicate resources to work with the CC companies to refute chargebacks until the card holder filed a case through eBay's own claim process and for eBay to work the eBay claim. 

CC companies monitor merchants chargeback claims and have been known to revoke the CC use privileges for merchants that have a high rate of chargebacks so eBay does have a bit of an interest and while eBay's CC merchant use privileges are not likely to be revoked imagine the impact if VISA and/or Mastercard did do so. 

CC companies 'monitor' merchants in the 'percentage' of claims and not the 'amount'. With Thousands of transactions daily, they will NEVER hit a mark that any cc company would 'ban' them. 

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

You really have no clue how lucky you are.  Go and read these similar posts.  90% of the buyers lost the item and the money. You were blessed with a stupid scam buyer who disputed the charge too soon.  Had he done it once the ipad arrived, you would have lost alot more.   I say stay here but do NOT sell pricey items here.  By the way, did you send that ipad with SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION.  If you did not, the buyer could say it did not arrive even though tracking says delivered and he would have won.  Sellers MUST use SIGNATURE CONFIRIMATION if the item is $750.oo or higher.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Never sell on eBay

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

*No ridiculous fees.

Good luck to you!

There is not an entity on Planet Earth that is 'immune' to credit card chargebacks (if an entity accepts credit cards, that is the agreement with the Banks and the 'entity' if they want to accept cc's). Period.

Wrong. At the end of the transaction it is a wire-transfer based system and you are SOL if you attempt to do so. Sure, now you will probably go on about how "you would never purchase from such a platform" and yaddiyadda, but where there is trust it is perfectly doable.

I'm NOT wrong; if the entity accepts credit cards, the cc company can and will force a chargeback for their customer within the guidelines of that cc. FBMP, AZ, Alib, Shopify- you name it. 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply