cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sellers are subject to way too harsh scrutiny

I don't really understand it completely.  I know eBay is protecting themselves.  But why entice and discourage new sellers?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

New sellers who show up selling very expensive items are indeed subject to harsh scrutiny by eBay to protect their buyers. It really is not a good idea for a new seller to sell very expensive items. It makes you the seller a target for scammers, and it makes eBay determined to make sure its buyers are protected from scams.

New sellers should start slowly, sell low price items, establish themselves and then move onto more expensive stuff. Smash-and-grab robberies also has eBay on edge trying to prevent these items from being sold on eBay. 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

eBay's system of restrictions on new sellers is based on 25 years of experience with the problems that inexperienced sellers can encounter even if they have the best intentions.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I started a new account knowing high valued items would be a target.  Posted one $10 item and eBay sent it to unsold, instantly.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Do you have to contact them and promise your not a scammer?

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

So they don't lose MONEY!!!

What happens if you sell ten items, take the money and split?  Who has to refund those buyers?   I'll give you a hint, their name starts with an E.

Don't you think at some point they must have said, "we've got to stop trusting people and make sure they are honest first."?

And now, here you are, proving your honesty.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I understand that.  But a $10 item....

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@singular-source wrote:

Do you have to contact them and promise your not a scammer?

@singular-source 

It looks as if you've had steady sales since before Halloween last. Are you having new problems with eBay now?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I honestly started the account because of ridiculous feedback...to protect myself.  It was taken care of, but led me to a rabbit hole.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Basically yep.  But my God the hoops you have to jump through now.  It's insane.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

It's just the ads to list even though your item will be removed that annoyed me.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@singular-source wrote:

Basically yep.  But my God the hoops you have to jump through now.  It's insane.

@singular-source 

Admire your honesty and humility. Also admire that you shared with us. Makes me happy that I'm not new. Hang in there...

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I do feel for the legitimate new seller and I'm so grateful to not be one of them.  Thank you for bringing me back to reality.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@singular-source wrote:

I do feel for the legitimate new seller and I'm so grateful to not be one of them.  Thank you for bringing me back to reality.

@singular-source 

LOL. My heart breaks for them! I guess grandma was right again, "It takes one to know one!" Glad to know you. 😊

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@singular-source wrote:

It is.  Both my son and daughter started new accts in 2020.  It takes a lot of time and energy to get an account to maintain forward momentum on here.

Had thought about closing our smaller selling account ....decided to just see where this spring goes....

All the Best!  Hang in there!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 15 of 21
latest reply