cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Past or present defeated feelings?

As an online seller, was there a point in your life that you have felt defeat & it was impacting many aspects of your life?  Without giving specific details & sharing more than you are comfortable with, what may have helped you through it the most?  I thought I would throw in a discussion that is apart from the usual complaints, glitches, queries that can be draining.  🙂   I'm on my second 'rut.'  1st one involved being broke & the loss of a parent.  It took 7 months to get through & part of it was getting decent (although not high paying) work & kept selling.  Stayed there for over 8 years.  Left due to moving & tried starting online full time again.  Success varied until after COVID then, downhill.  Apologizes if this bores you! Oh yes - toiled at the flea market with random awesome Sundays & too many pathetic ones.  Worse was $9.  Best was $2600!   lol  

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

God always has a plan to get you through the darkest moments. I am not a religious freak but in trying times I lean on some supernatural power. You try to let go of all the negative thought and emotions and look for the littlest things that can bring great joy. Other people can be a great resource as well to help you keep an eye on the positive, no matter how negative it gets. This too will pass.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Thanks!  I am not a religious person at all.  No superstitions either.  Yet - there was 5-6 times in the past 2 years where I was in need of money on a particular day & found it handed to me.  As if someone was looking over me.  lol  Last summer, I was short $500 on rent.  On that very day, I tried a scratch ticket & won $500.  3 months later, I was short about $75 to cover an automatic withdraw.  Again - tried a ticket & won $100.  All of my luck did not happen via tickets but something would occur & I would have what I needed right on time.  2024 is a different animal though!  lol

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

toiled at the flea market with random awesome Sundays & too many pathetic ones.  Worse was $9.  Best was $2600

Did you reflect on those $9 days and $2600 days to see if there anything to be learned?

Was there something about the location, season, weather, presentation, merchandise, pricing, etc. that might explain the $2600 day that you might be able to replicate? 

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Just take it one day at a time and cut out the people who take joy in your suffering.  It will get better ❤️

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

I am feeling like this now.  I had COVID in January and still don't feel right.  The fatigue plagues me every day and I can't do everything I did just a few short months ago.  It seems like a black cloud is over me and everyone in my circle.  Several people around me are having major health issues,  I am having some vision issues, daughter is struggling in college, hubby was out of work for 9 months and we really struggled to keep it together.  He has a job and insurance now, which helps the stress a lot, but life is still rough right now.

Selling at the antique shows and on eBay helped keep us  afloat during those months.  I'm looking forward to the warmer weather and hopefully that will help me feel better.     

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Very wise post. Thank you, I needed that. ❤️

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

It is an indoor market & I had booths set up ready for each Sunday.  $2600 was because I sold my sports cards lot; among other things.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Accept the cards you have been dealt & never give up

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@sakic92710 

I have read your posts thru the years and you've stated your ups and downs ( mostly downs).

You need a plan and selling online full time is not a good fit for you. You don't have the inventory,  the sourcing funds or emergency funds. This all needs to change.

Start by saving just $8.00 per week, I don't care where you get it, turn in some bottles, lottery tickets but stick away $8 bucks and don't touch it for 6 months. At the end of 6 months increase the amount $2.00 and keep doing this.

Get a part time job somewhere, anywhere, sports store, janitorial work. Continue to sell on ebay and your flea market booth part time and get your stats on ebay up, your falling.

You really seem like a nice fella, you are pleasant here on the forum but the time is now to get a PLAN!

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

That sounds like my life since 1988, literally. That was when my neighbor and friend, a 20 year old girl, was killed over Lockerbie Scotland.  Since then, every year has had a struggle of one kind or another. The only things that have gotten me through everything is my very strong faith and work. I can't even begin to tell you how utterly horrible some of the things have been, but those two things have been my rock. I 100% love working and I am completely immersed in my faith.  I've had many personal experiences with my faith, so God is the first one I turn to for strength. Work keeps my mind occupied. 

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Yet - there was 5-6 times in the past 2 years where I was in need of money on a particular day & found it handed to me.  As if someone was looking over me.  lol  Last summer, I was short $500 on rent.  On that very day, I tried a scratch ticket & won $500.  3 months later, I was short about $75 to cover an automatic withdraw.  Again - tried a ticket & won $100.  All of my luck did not happen via tickets but something would occur & I would have what I needed right on time.  2024 is a different animal though!  lol

It is said that all prayers are answered.   Sometimes the answer is 'no', but ... He's listening.

Also, I might suggest talking to your doc about your feelings.  You may be depressed.  Situational depression is (from what little I know about it) is normal.  When a loved one dies - it is normal to feel awful.  

But, he may have some ideas that can help you over a hump.

We are about to enter into a period of great turmoil.  Things are going to get hard.  Prepare.  

For whatever it's worth -- I'll say a prayer for you brother.

For all of us. 

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

I wouldn't depend on earning a living selling on eBay. One needs money to make money.

Life can be stressful and one needs an escape from the stresses in our life no matter what they are.

I get away from stress by going to the gym...rather relaxing and might want to give it a try.

There are days I actually hope I have no sales for I just want a "no shipping day" or two so I don't have to hustle to get items mailed.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

My friend, you're not alone. In fact, there has never been more anxiety and depression in the world than there is now. Some attribute poor sales to the rubber band affect from Covid. I for one, believe it's just a small part of a much bigger picture that's much more than what affects me personally. For those of us who have been around long enough to see contrast, the thing that glares the most is the change in humanity. In short, people or generations are changing, meaning they are less loving, kind and unselfish. Humanity today is an essay on self-preservation with the emphasis on "self". As an avid reader of the divine script, I deal with my own sinful self by knowing 2 things; 1) Why is it happening? and 2) The author has written a happy ending. 

Hang in there. I encourage you to find a quiet place, get comfy and read your script. 😉

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Hang in there.

Things have a tendency to turn around and get better.   😃

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 15 of 36
latest reply