cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Dispute Help & Appeal

Someone please help me understand how this payment dispute was ruled against me?

A buyer bought a $10 trading card. I shipped using the EBay Standard Envelope shipping for trading cards, which has issues with the tracking updating correctly sometimes. Cards get delivered without the tracking updating to the final destination, which is frustrating. But most buyers are honest so it's not a big deal, and most orders are insured up to $20.

This card was out for delivery in the correct zip code over a month ago, but never arrived according to the tracking. This happens dozens of times a month with our orders, but the cards are always delivered, the tracking just is screwed up and is done through Ebay, so it's not under anything I can control. But the buyer filed a payment dispute with their credit card company, not EBay, even though the credit card matches the buyers name and address.

Somehow the dispute was ruled in favor of the buyer because the item isn't delivered, and I can't file an insurance claim because the buyer didn't file their missing item claim through Ebay.

Even if the buyer is somehow being completely honest, how am I at fault at all? EBays tracking, Ebays poor verification allowing a stolen credit card (allegedly) or the buyers dishonesty ... and somehow its my fault despite shipping the card correctly and quickly?

And to top things off, filing an appeal is a complete mess. I think I have to chat with an agent to do it, which I will, but that needs some serious updating on the site too.

Because it's only $10 it's not a huge deal but it's just so frustrating and demoralizing when a buyer can be so blatant about their lies and still get away with it because of a faulty EBay tracking system and review policy.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@erikscardsandgames 

File the claim anyway, you will need to provide proof the buyer was refunded. Provide screen shots of the dispute and refund, and they should pay out.

They've paid out to me when the buyer just messaged me to ask for a refund on non-delivered item, they don't have to file an INR claim through eBay for the insurance to pay out.

C.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

@erikscardsandgames 

File the claim anyway, you will need to provide proof the buyer was refunded. Provide screen shots of the dispute and refund, and they should pay out.

They've paid out to me when the buyer just messaged me to ask for a refund on non-delivered item, they don't have to file an INR claim through eBay for the insurance to pay out.

C.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Thanks, I'll try that!

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I look at it this way, once the PO is in possession of the envelope and accepted with date received, it is out of my hands. I am not responsible after that and the buyer needs to deal with the PO.  I do not issue refunds when this happens.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Agreed, I didn't send a refund, I disputed it last month with the credit card company. I just lost the ruling today, so EBay just took the money from my account. I had no control over it whatsoever.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Somehow the dispute was ruled in favor of the buyer because the item isn't delivered

eBay policy specifically states that you MUST have tracking with a delivery status of "delivered" in order to be eligible for seller protection against payment disputes, which you state that you did not have.  This really isn't a "somehow" mystery. 

Even if the buyer is somehow being completely honest, how am I at fault at all?

eBay seller protection against payment disputes is about meeting eligibility criteria, which you did not. It is not a determination of "fault". 

somehow its my fault despite shipping the card correctly and quickly?

eBay did not say it is your "fault". They said you did not meet the eligibility criteria for seller protection.  

it's just so frustrating and demoralizing when a buyer can be so blatant about their lies 

You have no idea whether the buyer received the item or not. Your use of the phrase "blatant about their lies" is conjecture. 

because of a faulty EBay tracking system and review policy

You MUST have tracking with a delivery status of "delivered" in order to be eligible for seller protection against payment disputes, which you state that you did not have. There is nothing for eBay to "review".

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

The tracking is done through EBay. It's not a USPS tracking system or any other company. The trading card shipping is created specifically by Ebay, I'm not sure if you've ever used it. There's about a dozen of the same tracking issues for every 500 orders or so.

If they are going to rely on their own tracking system to enforce their policies, it should be a lot more trustworthy or their should be some common sense in the seller protections. Anyone who looks at the issue with any kind of common sense would see that the seller in this situation could not have done anything different.

But thank you for the literal responses to each of my questions, I do appreciate it.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Doesn't this program have a delivery guarantee from ebay.........separate from cc claims.........seems like ebay will refund the seller up to $20 if not delivered?   But seller has to file a claim with ebay...  ???

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

The claim is through some kind of insurance, but it is an EBay guarantee essentially and not paid for by the seller. I just have to file a claim on a specific site, it's done quickly and It works really well. It's the main reason the tracking issues aren't a big deal generally. I've used it maybe 15 times and never had any issues, but those were all item not delivered claims on EBay specifically.

I was told in the past that a payment dispute outside of EBay wasn't insured, but since a much wiser seller than me suggested I file the claim anyway earlier, I did just that. I'll update when I get the claim response for anyone who finds this in the future.

If it is insured, it's a really long, backwards process but not worth my complaint. But I will update soon. Thanks for all the help, genuinely.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@goodnu9 wrote:

I look at it this way, once the PO is in possession of the envelope and accepted with date received, it is out of my hands. I am not responsible after that and the buyer needs to deal with the PO.  I do not issue refunds when this happens.

Yes you are.

You are responsible for the item until it is delivered.

It's not the buyers job to deal with USPS because you decide to use some cheap shipping service.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Ebay doesn't track anything.

Ebay receives their tracking information from USPS.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 35
latest reply

You can't contact USPS for the Ebay Standard Envelope Tracking. USPS scans it, but only EBay has access to the tracking. This has been confirmed multiple times by both USPS and EBay. It is an ebay system.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Another defender of a billion dollar corporation

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

We do not control the post office, once the item is in the POST OFFICE hands, out of seller control, what do you want me to drive it to the buyer?! 

This is why people leave ebay for other platforms with better policies 

Stop defending the billion dollar company that does not care if you burn or not 

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Also it CLEARLY states in the listing what shipping service is used, also it is one that buyers like because it saves them money, clearly stated shipping service, all buyers need to read, not our fault ebay protects scammers 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply