cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning to sell some used VHS, DVD and BluRay movies/films/shows...

Hey,

Just wanted to know if there are some things I should be aware of before putting these together and online.  I have a decent amount of these overall and its more about what I should and shouldn't do more than shipping or prices.

I have no original receipts for these, as much of it was purchased 10+ years ago or longer, some of it 2-3 decades ago. But they are all original media and packaging. I will not sell a VCR tape, DVD/BluRay disc without their original box for example.

I'm actually just wanting to reduce my current library of these items.

I know that there can be issues with authentic stuff when it comes to these as selling movies/shows on media is tricky.

Any advice is welcome.  These will be put into a single multi listing with discounts and such.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@chapeau-noir wrote:

ETA: What is your avatar? Is that a baby chick with teeth?!

It's Fizzgig from The Dark Crystal!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@gator08041971 

Be absolutely certain that you are not including any movies and/or TV shows which you have copied yourself, and no DVR copies, bootleg or pirate copies as well.

Although it might seem like a pain in the donkey, you might want to check to see that your VHS tapes are not too badly warped or sticking -- if they have not been watched for quite some time, the quality depreciates quickly.

And they can all be shipped at USPS Media rate, so that will save you some $$$.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

Hey,

Just wanted to know if there are some things I should be aware of before putting these together and online.  I have a decent amount of these overall and its more about what I should and shouldn't do more than shipping or prices.

I have no original receipts for these, as much of it was purchased 10+ years ago or longer, some of it 2-3 decades ago. But they are all original media and packaging. I will not sell a VCR tape, DVD/BluRay disc without their original box for example.

I'm actually just wanting to reduce my current library of these items.

I know that there can be issues with authentic stuff when it comes to these as selling movies/shows on media is tricky.

Any advice is welcome.  These will be put into a single multi listing with discounts and such.

I sell media on a regular basis (clearing out our library) and the biggest issue is making sure the disc is in good shape - unless I'm selling a large lot, I flip the discs over and take a shot of the playing surface - usually in groups so it doesn't take as long. I also sell with the original cases and artwork and it makes a difference. Don't worry about receipts if there are no bootleg copies, for instance, I would be shocked if it's an issue at all. Trust me on this, I've sold hundreds of VHS, DVDs and CDs - never asked about it, even rare ones like the complete Jon Pertwee Dr Who.

What @1786davycrockett  said is true - no bootlegs, etc. and check those VHS tapes. If the case is warping the tape might not be good, either- tape is a friable medium.

Be certain to emphasise that they are from your own library (i.e., not flipped from a thrift or something - though you don't need to add that).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Thank you - ROFL - cute, terrifying little thing!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

Why do you believe it is "tricky" to sell legitimate VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray in the original packaging? I have done it for years with no trickiness whatsoever. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The tricky part is finding a buyer who wants the item enough to pay the $4 postage (assuming media mail cost for a well packaged VHS tape/DVD).

Its a very saturated market,  I buy used DVDs at the library sales for $1 for viewing.   

Not telling you not to to do it, but if you are planning on listing items that already have many offerings at $1, you'll be wasting your time.   

There are some other informative threads on here about old VHS/DVD.   There are some VERY collectible items, but they are rare!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You know, you are the first person to actually know what that was!  Congrats!

@luckythewinner Why do you believe it is "tricky" to sell legitimate VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray in the original packaging? 

Well, I seem to recall a couple of threads recently about people getting listings taken down for not having receipts or something.  lol

@deltilogicalThe tricky part is finding a buyer who wants the item enough to pay the $4 postage (assuming media mail cost for a well packaged VHS tape/DVD).

Its a very saturated market,  I buy used DVDs at the library sales for $1 for viewing.   

Not telling you not to to do it, but if you are planning on listing items that already have many offerings at $1, you'll be wasting your time.   

There are some other informative threads on here about old VHS/DVD.   There are some VERY collectible items, but they are rare!

Well, I will be listing at a price that is fair.  They won't be the cheapest but they won't be terribly expensive.  That part didn't worry me really.

@1786davycrockett  and @chapeau-noir :

Thanks.  I plan to check every tape and disc, etc.  Buyers will know the item is in working, usable condition.  These had been well cared for so not too worried.  I have some items I know will get bought and some that may never sell.  lol

And don't be afraid of Fizzgig.   He's harmless.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 8 of 8
latest reply