cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Ask This Buyer Nicely to Remove His Feedback??

Hi all,

I'm torn on this one.  I can't tell if this buyer is being a dick and punishing me or actually thought he was being helpful in his feedback.   He is one of those types.  You know, the ones who are trouble from the beginning.  I accepted an offer from him for a rare blu-ray at 50% less than it usually sells on here.  I needed the $$ and it had sat out there for weeks.  

So the dude was already getting a great deal.  He received his item and immediately emailed me pictures showing a piece of plastic from the blu-ray case was broken.  I wrote him back a very apologetic response and offered him a generous nearly 40% refund.  His response angered me greatly.  He was like, "fine I'll take the refund, but this is really your fault for not packing it with better bubble wrap."    I really wanted to give the guy a piece of my mind and tell him I freaking now how to pack items and have plenty of feedback praising my packaging.  Instead, I took the high road and just went to bed.

The next morning, he emailing me wanting to know where his refund is.  I gave it to him with a simple message "refund processed".   I just knew the guy wouldn't let it go.  Instead, he gives me this feedback:             "I haven’t watched the movie yet. Item arrived damaged due to not enough bubble wrap and miss handling by the carrier but seller made it right. Thanks again! Will buy from again."

It just feels like a final kick in the pants to me.  I've already taken a big loss on a item that should have been a profit maker for me.  I'm afraid this feedback may scare away potential buyers.  OTOH, he is mostly nice in the comments and points out that I'm the kind of seller who makes things right.  Still, feels like a false positive to me.  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You gave him a 50% off and then 40% off after that? When you gave him 50% off he knew he could cast hine line back in the pond and fish for another discount.

I wouldn't contact him again but I WOULD put him on the BBL so you don't have to deal with him again.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I freaking now how to pack items and have plenty of feedback praising my packaging

And yet this item arrived broken. 🤔

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks again! Will buy from again.

The urge not to answer "No you won't" would be a struggle.

The cheapskates seem to complain about everything - but the feedback just isn't that bad and I'd just chalk it up to People. It won't scare anyone away.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

When I read that feedback, provided I'm actually looking at the seller feedback before making my purchase, I would be more inclined to think the buyer is being a dipwad and the only part of the feedback that I would consider is that the seller made it right.

Block them, so you don't run into this issue again, and then just laugh it off and move on.  I doubt anyone reading it is going to pay much attention.

We had a similar "customer" at work - bought a wa-wa pedal for his guitar and left a nearly full 500 character run-on about how the box had a dent because it hadn't been packed well.  I was considering posting a reply mentioning that he never indicated that he was collecting the box and didn't actually want the pedal, but then I went to lunch and forgot about it.  Some people are just so full of themselves that they think everyone needs to know everything about what they do and how they feel.

I'd much rather watch some music videos on YouTube than worry about that guy.  Especially some of the Rush concert videos and all those wonderful 70's videos for the music I loved in high school & college.  🙂

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@lrdave35 

After blocking him from future purchases, I would have responded with, "I'm sorry that the case broke in shipment. Please open a return request and I'll issue a full refund on receipt." I wouldn't have further discounted the price.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Yea because the USPS never mishandles a package, right?  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

That's good feedback (well except it's neutral but still the buyer said they'd be back so it's not like "I will never shop here again"), only thing I do different is no partials, any problem it's always "return for full refund."
Other than that, no real reason to get excited.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@lrdave35 

One thing to keep in  mind, if you send a revision request, if the buyer wants to be real "hole" they could change their neutral to a negative or simply adjust the comment but leave it as a neutral.

Definitely not a common thing, most buyers will do the right thing if they are agreeable for a revision.

Personally (modest volume seller) I always seem to have one neg or neutral showing of a similar nature, I don't think it has any negative effect on my selling, in cases where the comment is "silly" I will be able to  compose a reply to the feedback that makes the buyer look bad and makes me the seller look good. If you do post a reply do not mention the partial refund, that could lead to other buyers seeing it as an opportunity to get an extra discount.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Be sure to put them on your blocked buyer list. You don't want them to do this to you again.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@candd205 wrote:

Be sure to put them on your blocked buyer list. You don't want them to do this to you again.

Do what?  Receive a damaged item?  Bubble wrap is fine for what it is - but it doesn’t really protect the contents of a package very well.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

dave, as with all verbiage, it is a matter of interpretation. To me, the buyers  comment was positive, in the sense he stated you handled the situation and he was pleased to the extent he would again purchase from you.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I would just leave it - you could answer it saying something about double checking your packing or whatever (this is to assure future buyers) but that's about it.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 13
latest reply