cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Offer Ebay Discounted Shipping Rates to Buyers

Rather than drop prices I wanted to try offering buyers the USPS discounted shipping rate (the rate we as sellers get, rather than the retail rate).  I changed my settings under "Carrier-Specific Discounts For Buyers:  Offer E-Bay Negotiated Discount Rates" with the "USPS discounted - Published online rates available when you print eBay shipping labels" box checked, but all my listings still show the same shipping rates.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I may be wrong, but it looks like you are offering discount shipping rates on some items I spot checked

(5.05 and 5.60) in general for light items (bras, panties)

some exceptions to those numbers (suits), but I think those are the commercial rates for 1st class

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Know that:

you pay approx 14% on top of that shipping in fees. 

Best to offer free shipping and tie price into 1, or do 'flat rate' shipping for $4.95 (as example for those that are coming back to customers at $5.05 etc.). 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@monica-sells wrote:

I may be wrong, but it looks like you are offering discount shipping rates on some items I spot checked

(5.05 and 5.60) in general for light items ... I think those are the commercial rates for 1st class

Those are retail rates for First Class packages. Here are the current commercial rates:

First Class Package commercial online 1_22_2023.png

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

correct....i was (again) looking at the wrong chart

pass the coffee please......

anyways....might this be accurate?

Carrier-specific discounts

Shipping carrier discounts let you pass some or all of your savings along to your buyers. You have two options for offering carrier discounts to your buyers:

• Set up a flat discount off retail or daily rates for domestic and international shipments across all carriers (USPS, FedEx, and UPS)
  • Offer eBay-negotiated discount rates with USPS, FedEx, and UPS

In either case, changes you make only apply to new or edited listings where a shipping cost applies.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestions.  I do realize I pay fees on the shipping cost.  I'd raise prices to make up the difference so my profit remains roughly the same.  I think buyers would more likely pay $12+3 shipping rather than $10+$5 shipping.  I've tried free shipping in the past and found I get far more returns, and I really don't want returns on clothing, especially bras and underwear.  I prefer not to use flat rate shipping given how often the post office changes rates.  Thanks again --

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thanks - missed that.  Just checked new listings vs. random older listings and found that all now have the lower discounted shipping rates.  

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

But just sold an item and it did not have the discounted shipping rate - buyer was charged $5.00, my cost $3.75.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Was that item sold from a listing that is new (or edited) since you chanced your shipping preference?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

No, but most other items, whether they are a new, revised, or an old listing, are now showing a lower shipping price.  But not all.  I don't see a link between those showing discounted shipping and those that don't.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This is happening to me to as of July 11, 2023.  I contacted eBay chat.  They say that the buyers can not see the discounted rate.  I too changed to  ebay UPS rates.  But it hasn't changed yet in my current listings.   I am changing them one by one.  If I change each listing manually, then the discounted rate is visible to the buyer.   The chat CS says the buyer never sees the discounted rate, but that is not correct at least for me.   I change it manually and it does show the discounted rate in the listing.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Monica, thank you adding the 'changes you make only apply to new or edited listings'.    Is that on the shipping preferences page anywhere?   Your reply  answers my question.  Thank you. Dale

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Why?  Ebay gets those discounts for volume sales.  As sellers we earned those discounts because we provide those sales. Buyers don’t earn it.  We already get part of our shipping taken away as part of the “final value” fee.  ( which still burns my ___  ).  So the shipping discount eBay passed on to us was a cushion, now they want us to pass it on to customers.  As of May 15th all orders will reflect the discounted rates. Hell no.  I oped out.  At least thats what they say I can do .. for now. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@setyourclockback 

This thread is over 1 year old, so I doubt the OP will be replying.

Should you have any concerns or questions it's always a good idea to open your own thread to get the help & advice you need for your specific issues.

Happy Selling

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply