cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected "Local Pickup Only" on sold item(s)?

I've had a couple items sell recently where it appears like a "local pickup" option was selected ... even though I'm pretty sure that wasn't listed as an option.  No shipping amount was paid.  Has anyone seen this happening?  I managed to contact one buyer who said they didn't select any kind of pickup option ... they're in NY ... I'm in OH.  I cancelled, relisted, and purchased again with shipping paid.  I imagine that the cancellation is "counted against" me and hoping I can get removed ...

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Just to wrap this up ... I don't mind 'local pickups' and I can certainly understand a buyer being presumptuously attracted to a 'free' option.  Nevertheless, the cause for any need to cancel would be on the buyer.  If he doesn't want to cancel and insists that I ship for free, I would certainly hope that ebay would side with me as the seller.  Thanks again to all for the input ... will consider this issue 'resolved'. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

A fast look at your sold items say you do offer local pick up. You must check your shipping options when listing to make sure you do not have such selected for item you do not want this on.

Such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125103845199?hash=item1d20c52f4f:g:o30AAOSwQP5h1I8H 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the reply.  My mistake ... I was envisioning the one I relisted and made a point to confirm that local pickup was not selected.  I'll assume at this point both buyers unintentionally somehow selected "local pickup" 'cause it was free.  If I cancel to relist & resell w/shipping, is it counted against me?  Will ebay give me a hard time to "erase" a cancellation not my fault?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@wader1914 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  My mistake ... I was envisioning the one I relisted and made a point to confirm that local pickup was not selected.  I'll assume at this point both buyers unintentionally somehow selected "local pickup" 'cause it was free.  If I cancel to relist & resell w/shipping, is it counted against me?  Will ebay give me a hard time to "erase" a cancellation not my fault?

Well depends on the reason you are cancel the transaction:

Contact your purchaser and see if they want to pick up the item or cancel the sale: such then goes to buyer requested canceled sale. (that does not effect your metrics).

By the way this is your mistake as such can and does carry over with your shipping when listing: you have to check on such.

As said the correct method to correct this is to cancel the sale: may cost you the FVF as well:

Then relist with correct shipping methods and costs... even if it cost you a deficit in your metrics.

Best check your active listings as well to see if they are correct in your shipping methods desired..

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

hhmmm ... the reason for cancelling is the buyer's mistake for selecting local pickup (intentionally or not) when that was never their real intention.  So shouldn't count against me, or cost me any FV fees.  Why wouldn't I just invoice them for the shipping amount if they do indeed want the item and want it shipped.  If they want to cancel, then should be "buyer requested".   Does ebay have issue if I listing everything with "No Local Pickup", but note in the description that it's available if contacted beforehand?  This has only happened these 2 times in 10 years or so, so maybe I'm making more out of it than necessary.  Thanks again ...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Can you explain how a buyer can select "local pickup" if it's not offered in the listing?

Have not sold for many years, but when I did, I don't believe there was a way the buyer could do that.  

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

soh.maryl ... that's my concern/question.  I mark large items I don't want to ship as "Local Pickup Only" ... everything else is "Same flat cost for all ..." and/or "Calculated".  I had 2 calculated items  sell recently and only the item amount was paid ... told I needed to contact buyer to arrange for pickup.  I've found that most of my listings display a "pickup" and "shipping" option ... see 1st pic.  I've just realized (this afternoon) this is because "Receive payment on pickup" is checked, even though "Offer local pickup" is not checked ... see 2nd pic.  I'm assuming at this point that that is allowing a buyer to select 'local pickup' somewhere thru the purchasing process.  Both buyers I contacted say they didn't select 'local pickup' but who knows now.  I've since worked out arrangements and shipped both items.  Thanks to all for your input ...

(Has "Free local pickup..."(Has "Free local pickup..."(Receive payment on pickup)(Receive payment on pickup)

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@wader1914 

You can cancel using ‘problem with buyer’s address’ if buyer indicates that they cannot pick up item.  No penalty with that reason.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@wader1914 wrote:

the reason for cancelling is the buyer's mistake for selecting local pickup.

That is not a buyer's mistake.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Seriously??  Are you saying it's my mistake as the seller that the buyer selected 'local pickup' when he had no intention of driving from WI to OH to pick up his purchase?  Whether I intended to offer local pickup or not, how can I be responsible, and be 'dinged' on my seller metrics, for the buyer selecting an option he didn't mean to select?  Hope others chime in on this thought ...

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@wader1914 wrote:

Seriously??  Are you saying it's my mistake as the seller that the buyer selected 'local pickup' when he had no intention of driving from WI to OH to pick up his purchase?  Whether I intended to offer local pickup or not, how can I be responsible, and be 'dinged' on my seller metrics, for the buyer selecting an option he didn't mean to select?  Hope others chime in on this thought ...

Buyer could have been in town or have a friend pick it up. If buyer was ok to cancel. It's fine. But you gotta get buyers permission first.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@wader1914 

As I mentioned in another post … it is customary for sellers to use ‘Problem with buyer’s address’ to cancel without penalty.  

Some buyers have said that they didn’t understand the meaning of ‘Local Pickup’ … apparently being attracted by the word ‘Free’ that often accompanied the words.

Regardless of whether you want to consider it a ‘Buyer’s mistake’ … it’s definitely not the seller’s ‘fault’. [Some buyers know friends in the seller’s area … or will be visiting the area themselves … so you can’t tell by the buyer’s address whether buyer made a mistake.]

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Just to wrap this up ... I don't mind 'local pickups' and I can certainly understand a buyer being presumptuously attracted to a 'free' option.  Nevertheless, the cause for any need to cancel would be on the buyer.  If he doesn't want to cancel and insists that I ship for free, I would certainly hope that ebay would side with me as the seller.  Thanks again to all for the input ... will consider this issue 'resolved'. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Yes it is the buyers fault.  The buyer picked 'local pickup' out of the couple of shipping options presented.  

Now it's on the buyer to pick up the item.  See how this makes it the buyers fault?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

That's happening to me now from two different buyers who resent making sure they did not click local pickup. It's an eBay system created problem. I'm about to five up and cancel the listing.  Frustrating.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply