cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was it Legitimately Damaged in Shipping?

A while back I sold a collectible aluminum coca-cola bottle.  According to everything, it was delivered May 15th.  I got positive feedback.  TWO WEEKS later on May 28th, I got a message of the buyer with a picture of the bottle with a dent in it.  I haven't responded because I needed some time to think about this.  The buyer is not pushy; since then which was over a week ago I just got one more message saying he's waiting.  I haven't responded because I don't know what to do.

I don't want to be rude to the buyer but I think the bottle came in fine in shipping, but I think the buyer may have dropped it and claimed it was done in shipping which was why the two weeks and AFTER positive feedback.  Should I be liable for a return even though I think it wasn't my fault or should I go by this a different way?  The buyer has not opened a return request.  Just simple messaging right now.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It was if the customer says it was.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If he opens a Claim, he will win.

Even if you have a No Returns policy, you cannot have a No Refunds policy.

But you can demand the return of the contested item before refunding.

You may /will have to pay return shipping.

The best policy in my opinion is Returns Accepted but no refunds without return and no partial refunds.

"I regret that you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a refund."

That puts the ball back in his court and tells him he won't be able to have both item and money.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

eBay gives the buyer a 30 day money back guarantee, so no matter if it's true or not, they can return for a full refund.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Did you double box that aluminum can? One hard jolt would dent it.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

sounds to familiar, i posted something about this. the post office told me that anytime they cause damage to package it is wrapped in plastic or plastic sleeve with explanation that it was damaged by them.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Was it a bottle or a can?

Bottles have chips and cracks. Cans have dents. 

If it was a can, it would seem the buyer would have noticed immediately before leaving positive feedback and would have sent photos. Note: people say buyers don't have to send photos, but it would be the honest thing to do to resolve an issue quicker. 

How was your packing? Did you label the package fragile?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply