cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has this not come up yet?

Social Security Numbers Stolen in PayPal Cyberattack (msn.com)

Just curious...

any thoughts on if this will affect sellers and buyers here?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Nope! Nada! Niet!

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Only for the people whose SSN has been stolen.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Without ticking the link, I'd say it might affect some PayPal users.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

@kus1617 wrote:

It will affects buyers and sellers here.

But *how many* it affects and *how* it affects them and to what *extent* it affects will vary drastically.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

And here is another one...seems like these are becoming more prevalent these days...

https://www.techzine.eu/news/security/99796/norton-lifelock-data-breach-affects-thousands-of-users/

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

Only for the people whose SSN has been stolen.

which would be possibly some buyers as well as sellers...not everyone is tech aware.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

this might explain why eBay doesn't show the Norton link on their website anymore?

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Hi @kus1617 

My thoughts ~~  My eBay, PayPal, and Amazon accounts were each hacked within a few weeks of each other a few years ago.

I had to change my passwords and have eBay Trust & Safety remove an item that the hacker had listed for sale on my account.

It was a negligible hassle ... and I don't waste my time worrying about it happening again.  99.9% (approximately) of what we humans worry about won't ever happen.   😊

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

If you actually read the article, PayPal was not hacked. What happened was that people reused their PayPal passwords on other websites, and THOSE websites were compromised. People simply took the email address and password combos that they'd gotten from other places and plugged them into a whole bunch of websites (including PayPal) to see if they worked.

This is why you should always use strong, UNIQUE passwords for each site.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Except for the big asteroid.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@kus1617 wrote:

Social Security Numbers Stolen in PayPal Cyberattack (msn.com)

Just curious...

Buyers, maybe. Sellers don't get to use PayPal for selling anyway. 

The article says about 35,000 accounts were compromised, but that's out of a worldwide total of 209.3 million as of last year (Ref: https://www.oberlo.com/statistics/how-many-people-use-paypal), so I'm not particularly worried about mine. I also don't use the same password across multiple accounts, so anyone who does manage to get my password for one account will not be able to use it anywhere else.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

If you actually read the article, PayPal was not hacked. What happened was that people reused their PayPal passwords on other websites, and THOSE websites were compromised. People simply took the email address and password combos that they'd gotten from other places and plugged them into a whole bunch of websites (including PayPal) to see if they worked.

This is why you should always use strong, UNIQUE passwords for each site.

People should be using a random password generator service. I use one offered by Google, which generates a random, complex password and stores it (or offers to store it, by the user's choice) in my Google account. The service also scans for breaches, weak passwords a user may have created, a list of duplicated passwords, etc.

The Chrome browser will also scan for breaches, weaknesses, duplicates, etc., for any saved passwords, but I don't believe it has its own password generator option.

It's a really bad idea to use the same password over and over again. If it's breached on one site, all sites are then vulnerable.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

I would think using Facebook that has almost all your personal information....like people posting when they are going on a vacation and not at home stuff...I wouldn't worry too much about eBay.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

In September of last year my administrator for health, pension, defined contribution/401knad other type benefit funds was compromised, so now those accounts are being monitored.

Never thought that would/could happen but it did/does.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply