cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Wal-Mart blue bag with smiley such a hot nostalgia item?

I mean, is there some reference to it on social media or is it in a movie or video that I am unaware of? Believe me, I have more than a few items I am holding on to from childhood, I just find it odd that this particular bag would be such an important part of American culture. Anyways, I just found 2 stashed away in the back of a cabinet & I am going to save them for my daughter's inheritance!  Included some pics from this site & another. Wild trend!

walmart2.pngwalmartbag.png

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Unbelievable!  One man's junk........................

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

oh, my ..........how many went into packages, back to WM, to Goodwill and various other shops........so funny......thanks for posting!!!!

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Next up, Balenciaga's tragically hip interpretation of the ICONIC Walmart Y2K bag in some kind of coated plastic for $2449.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Beats me, but here's a history of the evolution of the Walmart bag, in photos and text:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113856435@N07/13070630965

-

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Interesting! Someone actually took the time to document these. Makes me regret not keeping more of my local grocery store chain's specially printed Halloween themed grocery bags for Trick or treating! Who knew we all had a small fortune in reusable garbage bags sitting in a cabinet under our sinks!

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

I just came across some of those a few weeks ago.

I was cleaning cat boxes and I have a metal can holding a ton of plastic bags.

I was looking through them and notice the older ones and left them alone.

Grab two other bags ( double them) and made their smiley sad with spent cat litter. 😞

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Poor smiley! LOL! How many times have most of us done the same thing & threw away a fortune! Being you did this recently, your cats have a bougie collection system! The equivalent of pooping in a Louis Vuitton bag! Mine will be jealous I use the newer ones. Mom doesn't love them like you love yours. 🤣 

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Note to self: Collect the current walmart bags in case they do a design change

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Don't waste your time, no one pays a penny for a grocery bag from Walmart, all fake sales, I would understand if it was from a famous store in the 1930's> It's just like a Black Diamond VHS.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

Don't waste your time, no one pays a penny for a grocery bag from Walmart, all fake sales, I would understand if it was from a famous store in the 1930's> It's just like a Black Diamond VHS.

Well, we pay a dime for them 😄  Recent law change.  

There is such a thing as collecting shopping bags, but this is hilarious! 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@ten_o_nine ,

I heard some people collect vintage store plastic bags because more and more cities are outlawing them. I was recently at a Walmart in Fort Frances Ontario Canada and they didn’t have any plastic or paper bags because they were banned. 

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

I understand, but what is a plastic bag worth? and you can have the same thing printed in China for less than a penny a bag?

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@*trekkie wrote:

Poor smiley! LOL! How many times have most of us done the same thing & threw away a fortune! Being you did this recently, your cats have a bougie collection system! The equivalent of pooping in a Louis Vuitton bag! Mine will be jealous I use the newer ones. Mom doesn't love them like you love yours. 🤣 

LOL

That reminds me of a time that I was going through purses and finding those with damages and I did use them for cat litter.  ( Hoping the cat . . . would break down the purse quicker 😉 😄 )

Yes, I love my cats.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Plastic bags are banned in NY too except for restaurants and stores like a fish store.  They still have plastic bags.   Anyway, I found at least 10 other sold Wallmart bags from 99 cents to 15.00.  I do believe that some are legit and folks collect plastic bags.    Nothing surprises me anymore.    Did you know that some people collect wine corks?  Others peel off the labels of wine bottles and then put them in a scrap book.  There are actually binders/ scrap books for wine labels!    Again, nothing surprises me anymore.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply