cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay trusts bots over their own eyes - Seller Metrics and eBay Trust and Safety

I asked eBay to look at my seller metric that states an order has had no scans. eBay shows scan history and delivery before evaluation period on Dec 20th. I ASSumed eBay would look at the record and correct my metrics. Instead, I got a reply from eBay Trust and Safety about how the metrics work, and I can appeal eBays metrics (eBay displays all the USPS scans} that comes to the conclusion the scans do not exist. (even though eBay has marked the item delivered and displays all the USPS scans).

I have appealed. Hopefully someone at eBay has the power to trust their own eyes over the eBay bot that says all the USPS scans eBay displays do not exist (including the delivery scan eBay uses to mark the order delivered). Just frustrated. The power of eBay bots over common sense AMAZES me. So sad I will not be surprised if eBay decides the simple fact the USPS scans exist doesn't override their Metrics that has determined the scans aren't there.

"We evaluate your performance on the 20th of each month"

Postage purchased through eBay and displays correctly in Order. eBay shows scans in shipment history and delivery by 19th. eBay Metrics on 20th says package has no scans. Why does eBay metrics ignore USPS scans in this case? Why am I penalized for what appears to be an eBay glitch?

Order number: xxx
Item number:  xxxx
Buyer ID: xxxxx
Tracking number: xxxxxx

USPS Tracking:
Delivered

Delivered, Front Door/Porch

MARTINSVILLE, IN 46151 

December 19, 2023, 12:31 pm

Out for Delivery

MARTINSVILLE, IN 46151 

December 19, 2023, 6:42 am

Arrived at Post Office

MARTINSVILLE, IN 46151 

December 19, 2023, 6:31 am

Arrived at USPS Facility

MARTINSVILLE, IN 46151 

December 19, 2023, 6:06 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility

INDIANAPOLIS IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX 

December 19, 2023, 5:15 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

INDIANAPOLIS IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX 

December 18, 2023, 8:40 pm

USPS in possession of item

CARMEL, IN 46032 

December 18, 2023, 12:46 pm

USPS expects item for mailing (SSK)

CARMEL, IN 46032 

December 18, 2023

Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46280 

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

"Please know that the "Tracking Uploaded on Time and Validated" metric is completely handled by the system and there has to be a tracking information including the carrier scan within the stipulated time frame. I really appreciate your kind gesture and I'd have happy to adjust this metric if there was any workaround to do so" - eBay trust and safety

I have a response from eBay Trust and Safety. Basically, my order has all the required scans within the stipulated time frame, but for whatever reason the eBay system has ignored the scans and eBay has no power to override the decision by "The System".  Heck with the actual scans seen in eBay and USPS tracking.

Do I really need to put up with this ridiculousness? 🙄

Long time Top Rated eBay Seller 

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

eBay has 180,000,000 members or so; they don't HAVE eyes nor 'someone' to 'look' at these things.

They are all automated. 

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Yeah... no.

eBay has already looked the issue without paying attention at all to what I explained as the issue and dismissed the issue.

Upon appeal, eBay looked at the issue and said my order did have the required valid scans, but "the system" didn't see the scans.  eBay said they would do nothing to correct the issue because the results of "the system" can not be changed - even errors affecting sellers.

When "the System" can possibly affect my TRS status, eBay says live with it.  When "the System" has a "glitch" that affects eBay revenue negatively eBay has no problem finding time and resources to correct the issue.

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Perhaps it will go away on its own in a few days. Have read of such happenings.

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

On eBay, the bots ARE their eyes.

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

Same situation here ...My metrics dropped to 98.5% on a non scanned package .....Called Ebay on their miscue 48hrs ago..All back normal now at 100%...Ebay is not Picking up on all the USPS Scans!!

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

On eBay, the bots ARE their eyes.

No, on eBay, the bots ARE their eyes and brains. In my case, eBay said they are incapable of correcting a bots determination even if the bot is incorrect. However, I believe eBay has no interest in correcting bots unless the bots negatively affect eBays income. Pretty said when eBay gives bots more power than human employees. 

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

What is frustrating is that eBay always ASSumes their bots and system is 100% and Sellers have no idea what they are talking about.

My eBay support said they see the same shipping day Dec 18  tracking number upload. They see the same day Dec 18 USPS receipt scan. They see the next day Dec 19 USPS Delivery scan. Then they go on to say the Dec 20 Metric Bot reported no scan so eBay must side with the Metric Bot (even though they see the scans).

Frustrating when eBay judges sellers unquestioningly trusting bots and holding sellers to high standards. eBay then gives themselves a wildcard to treat sellers with incompetence.

Pretty sad when my ONLY negative "Seller Metrics" is a negative incorrectly created by eBay and then eBay telling me to deal with it because they can't.

I think that pretty much sums up my "eBay Metrics." 

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

That is not how the eval of sellers work for the monthly evaluation.

The monthly Eval is on the 20th of each month for the period ending the PREVIOUS month.  So the eval on December 20th was for the period ending November 30th.

Whatever the eval shows the seller status to be will become effective the first of the following month.  So the December 20th eval becomes your Seller status on January 1st, 2024.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 44
latest reply

@goldxxxsilver 

You are currently TRS.  Did your eval on December 20th say you lost your TRS?

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

It would be far easier to try and help you if we knew what your issue is in detail.  Meaning what metrics is causing you an issue, what percentage are you at now?  Without knowing this it is kind of guessing on our part to try and help since not all metrics are treated the same.  "Ebay metrics" is a broad subject and not all the details are created equal.

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

From my post "I asked eBay to look at my seller metric that states an order has had no scans."

Problem resolved: eBay Metrics was not reading the USPS scans for just one order; the scans were being displayed in the eBay tracking for the order. The order had acceptance scan and delivery scan. eBay Seller Level metrics reported no scans existed. eBay support confirmed the scans did exist, but they are powerless to do anything to correct Metrics. I had a few more exchanges with eBay support. eBay corrected my seller metrics. 

Tracking uploaded on time and validated is back to showing 100%

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

My situation sounds exactly the same as yours.  It was corrected "ONLY AFTER" talking to Ebay support. I had mailed 2 packages ,had them scanned and got a receipt. Tracking on Ebay only showed  1 of them, so 2 or 3 days later my metrics was dinged for the other..All was corrected after human contact!

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

@mam98031 

That is not how the eval of sellers work for the monthly evaluation.

The monthly Eval is on the 20th of each month for the period ending the PREVIOUS month.  So the eval on December 20th was for the period ending November 30th.

So the eBay metrics is even more messed up then I thought. The order having the negative affect on my metrics was an order sold on December 15th. 

Message 15 of 44
latest reply