cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the new scam, with re-tracting bids ?

Whats up with ? Seams there's a new scam afoot where people keep biding and re tracting bids.  Had this clown bid then send me a message that he would buy it today, if I listed it as buy it now, I did. And sent him a message explaining that If I listed it as buy it now I had to raise the price buy whatever amount. He had re-tracted the bid right before that. so anyway a couple days goes buy, and he bids, then a couple days later retracts the bid, anyway this clown ends up biding and re-tracting the bid. so now the second part is how do I re-port him so that. The E-bay goes after him, hopefully suspending his account 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

eBay apparently has no penalties related to bid retractions.  If you don't like a bidder's activities, you can cancel their bid(s) and/or put them on your blocked-bidder list.

Cancel bid: https://www.ebay.com/bfl/cancelbid

Block bidder: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

eBay isn't going to go after him.

What you do is add him to your BBL.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/blocking-buyer?id=4082

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Consider yourself to be lucky that you could deal with the problem in this earlier stage with a retraction. That required less effort from you than to issue a refund or process a return later on. Just block the bidder and accept you will have some disrespectful buyers and it is normal that a small percentage of your transactions will be amiss.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@gabe101907 wrote:

Whats up with ? Seams there's a new scam afoot where people keep biding and re tracting bids. 

With respect, you've created this problem yourself, first by running auctions and second by listing those auctions with a reserve. That bidder is trying to guess your reserve. 

If you want to avoid this, stop running auction listings. Your items aren't in demand enough that auctions will encourage bidding wars. Just list the items as BIN/IPR and if someone wants the item, they'll buy it outright and pay for it. It's not "sold" until payment is complete. The result? No more bid retractions, no NPB, no nibble bidders.

If you insist on doing auctions, stop wasting money on a reserve! Just start your auctions at the lowest amount you're willing to sell for should the auction just get one bid. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@gabe101907 

Hi Gabe

Sorry for your situation & frustration.  Tagging on with others here, 

List all your items at a fixed buy it now price with immediate payment required checked off.  Sport bidders and non - paying bidders steer clear of these listings as they must pay instantly.  And of course block the person from further taking up your time and efforts that you obviously work hard at.

Happy Selling!

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I didnt have a reserve on the auction, I had set the bid at a price I was willing to take for it. Generally I want the stuff sold, it will just sit there forever if i list it as by it now. Also as I am away from home for 2 weeks at a time for work, I cant obviously list stuff as buy it now while I am at work. I may start doing that when I am available to ship stuff right away..  

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes, its bean terrible, Really over half the stuff I have sold, has bean non paying bidders. When I re-list and it sells again its always way lower price, I have lost a lot of money selling stuff on here. some of it I just didnt need/wanted to get rid of so I dont care. but other stuff, yeah. Over half the stuff sold has bean non paying bidders, sometimes I have had to auction it 3 times. And every time it actually sells to a bider that will pay its way less, some times comically so. Because of my work schedule, being in a remote location for 2 weeks at a time(and obviously not near a post office) I cant list stuff as buy it now, but maybe I will when I am home.. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

After the first non-event, wouldn't you just block him?  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@gabe101907 

I use fixed price listings with IPR, and use the "time away" option when I will not be able to/do not want to ship.

eBay Customer Service

type in "time away"  

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Just put him on your Blocked Bidder's List and be done with him. No more contact, nothing. Life is too short to deal with that type of individual.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@gabe101907 wrote:

I didnt have a reserve on the auction, I had set the bid at a price I was willing to take for it. Generally I want the stuff sold, it will just sit there forever if i list it as by it now. Also as I am away from home for 2 weeks at a time for work, I cant obviously list stuff as buy it now while I am at work. I may start doing that when I am available to ship stuff right away..  

It can sit there through auction after auction, too. To get around your work schedule you could add a buy it now option to your auctions. A lot of people don't like auctions - they want to simply purchase, pay and have it shipped the old fashioned way - you can cover both bases that way.

Also, it's not a scam - your buyer was just being ditzy, they weren't trying to get something from you for free. I've had those down through the years, too. Until eBay tightens up the bid cancellation/deadbeat buyer process, it won't change, particularly since so many people bracket-buy (or bid), choosing to pay for the item they want and letting the rest go.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Because of my work schedule, being in a remote location for 2 weeks at a time(and obviously not near a post office) I cant list stuff as buy it now, but maybe I will when I am home.. 

I use the auction format almost exclusively for time management reasons as well. I get the occasional non-payer but I just deal with and move on. Ironically eBay tried to implement an auto-pay change for auctions but there was so much pushback that they ended the effort and there has been no indication that they are going to try to re-introduce it. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@gabe101907 

What kind of a "scam" could it be?  How are they costing you money or product?  To be a "scam", you would have to be out something?  He is annoying you, but he isn't scamming you.

Now certainly it is annoying.  I would but them on my BBL for sure.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hmmmmm a "scam" where the scammers gain nothing. Interesting.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 15 of 15
latest reply