cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we supposed to pay return shipping for a buyer's error?

An individual bought a bike seat from me, and didn't check the measurements in the listing before buying it. They get the item, finds out it didn't fit their bike, started a return (reason: Doesn't Fit), and when it arrived, I issued the refund minus the return shipping.

Buyer is now upset. I looked at  saw that this is considered a remorse return. It certainly wasn't an error on my part or INAD. And he is going on about "professionalism" and starting a dispute, and I'm just already tired of this by just following what eBay says.

I'm certain we aren't supposed to pay for the privilege of a buyer making an error. We cant afford that! It's already bad enough that buyers get mad for ordering broken stuff for parts, and then changing their mind!

So what is the official thing here? What is eBay going to actually stand behind? 

thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

What may happen is ebay courtesy refunding that shipping amount to him. You are right, that it IS a courtesy / remorse return. But ebay falls all over itself to make a buyer happy because, without their money, they can't make money off sellers money...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@participantribbonchampions wrote: ... I'm certain we aren't supposed to pay for the privilege of a buyer making an error. We cant afford that! It's already bad enough that buyers get mad for ordering broken stuff for parts, and then changing their mind!

So what is the official thing here? What is eBay going to actually stand behind? 

thanks for any help!

But the Return policy in the listing for the Yosuda seat which you sold on April 20 says that the seller pays for return shipping.  That policy means that the seller pays for the return shipping regardless of the reason, including buyer remorse or error, which is why your buyer expected to get a full refund.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266648629569 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

For some reason, when you offer free returns, the buyer doesn't think they should be out anything.

On a remorse return, you can deduct the original shipping the buyer paid.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@participantribbonchampions wrote: ... I'm certain we aren't supposed to pay for the privilege of a buyer making an error. We cant afford that! It's already bad enough that buyers get mad for ordering broken stuff for parts, and then changing their mind!

thanks for any help!

But the Return policy in the listing for the Yosuda seat which you sold on April 20 says that the seller pays for return shipping.  That policy means that the seller pays for the return shipping regardless of the reason, including buyer remorse or error, which is why your buyer expected to get a full refund.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266648629569 

@nobody*s_perfect Curious (as I don't do 'seller pays')...What about the 'original' shipping a buyer paid, when a seller offers 'seller pays' for returns? Is the seller to 'refund 100% including original shipping AND the 'return ride back home'? 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote: ... Curious (as I don't do 'seller pays')...What about the 'original' shipping a buyer paid, when a seller offers 'seller pays' for returns? Is the seller to 'refund 100% including original shipping AND the 'return ride back home'? 

Yes.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@stainlessenginecovers wrote: ... Curious (as I don't do 'seller pays')...What about the 'original' shipping a buyer paid, when a seller offers 'seller pays' for returns? Is the seller to 'refund 100% including original shipping AND the 'return ride back home'? 

Yes.

Sorry but that's incorrect.  A seller who offers free returns does not have to refund original shipping for remorse returns if the buyer paid for original shipping.  If that was the case, seller's would not have the option on the refund screen of withholding the original shipping.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Yes.

Sorry but that's incorrect.  A seller who offers free returns does not have to refund original shipping for remorse returns if the buyer paid for original shipping.  If that was the case, seller's would not have the option on the refund screen of withholding the original shipping.

Yep. It only applies if the seller has free returns and free shipping.

When initial listing, like the original poster's, has a separate shipping cost, that ship cost does not have to be refunded on a remorse return.

If the seller withheld return shipping, that was not in line with their free returns policy.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@participantribbonchampions 

Did you deduct original shipping and the return shipping? If so, I can understand why the buyer is upset. Free returns means that you pay for all returns, regardless of the reason.  But you are allowed to hold back the original shipping cost unless the original shipping was free.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Just the return shipping.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply