cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default shipping

So will default shipping stop being added to our taxable sales as were not the one seling the shipping were only offering shipping through the ebay platform i dont think its right for us the seller to be taxed on money we dont get its more being put on us as a tax obligation

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Default shipping

You are not taxed on shipping you pay eBay a fee based on the entire amount your buyer has paid. After your buyer has paid, your selling fees are taken and you purchase the label what is left over (also called net profit) you claim on your income tax as income at tax time. 
Your buyer pays tax on shipping depending on the state they live in. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Default shipping

The items i sold had the shipping added to my total sales amount on my 1099 irs has me obligatedwhen i sold just over 1000 dollars but i have a tax obligation of 1300 due to shipping i purchasrd all labels through ebay with buyers money now there doing this default shipping will this exclude the entire tax obligation caused by shipping

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Default shipping

Also why do we have to pay a percentage on shipping to ebay as part of the total sale and i dont have a sales tax in montana just to clarify that my 1099 shows total shipping included as part of my tax liabiliry to the irs

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Default shipping

Buyer paid shipping is part of the payment which all gets included on a 1099k.  What you pay for your shipping labels is a deduction when filing your taxes.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Default shipping

Keep track of what you buy to sell. 

Keep track of what you get when you sold (money from ebay goes into a business account only used for ebay/internet sales, that makes it NET sales and easy to track) 

Keep track of your other expenses (labels, envelopes, boxes supplies etc.) 

If in doubt, talk to an accountant. 

I never even download those sales reports, all that matters for my ebay net is the money I receive, ignore the 1099. 

Don't mingle business and personal, take your personal money out of the business account and put it in your personal account, trying to live off your sales in real time will just f up your accounting!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Default shipping

What is "default" shipping?

You do get the money that the buyer pays for shipping.

Where you chose to spend that "shipping money" is up to you.

You can buy the label through eBay, from another "online" label provider, at the Post Office, FedEx shipper or UPS.

If you properly deduct the expense when filing your taxes...........  you won't be taxed on it.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Default shipping

"Also why do we have to pay a percentage on shipping to ebay as part of the total sale and i dont have a sales tax in montana just to clarify that my 1099 shows total shipping included as part of my tax liabiliry to the irs"

Is punctuation illegal in Montana?

Just to clarify:  NO, nobody's 1099 shows the total shipping included as part of their tax liability  to the IRS.  

The 1099-K form shows all the money processed by eBay for you as a specific seller.  
That total shown on the 1099-K is NOT your federal income tax liability.  
That total shown on the 1099-K is not even the amount to which your federal income tax percentage is applied.

In general:

That total amount shown on the 1099-K is what you're supposed to list on the Income section on the front page of the 1040 federal tax return form.  
THEN you may be eligible to itemize deductions.  
For your eBay sales, the shipping costs that you paid as an eBay seller are deductible.  
Other deductible costs include the fees you paid to eBay, the prices you paid for purchasing shipping boxes, bubble wrap, packages of blank mailing labels, shipping tape, even mileage for the distances you drove to and from a store to purchase those supplies and mileage you drove to and from your post office to drop the packages off.   

Again, very oversimplified:  What is left after you subtract all those deductions from the total on the 1099-K is your taxable income from your eBay sales.  That amount is added to all the rest of your taxable income (like from your regular day job, all your dividend income on your huge stock holdings, etc.) and then you look at the IRS's tax tables to determine your tax liability. 

The total on the 1099-K is not your tax liability. 
Your tax liability is the amount you owe to the IRS.  

Depending on the rest of your own financial situation (such as that day job and all those stock dividends), you might owe income tax to the IRS on a very low portion of your total eBay sales shown on the 1099-K or even none of your total eBay sales.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply