cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay will not cover your items if they are lost in transit.

Just so you know; 

Even if USPS receives the item and the item is in transit - and you have followed all the site policies and guidelines, EBAY WILL REFUND THE BUYER AND THEY WILL NOT COVER YOU AND TREAT YOU AS AN EQUAL WITH A BUYER. 

You will lose the product and the the money paid will be refunded to the buyer. 

How do you feel about this and what are your stories? I know we all have many. 

I would love to hear your stories as well, I know we all have them. 

*Top rated seller 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Maybe someone can shed some light on how ebay can implement processes that they dont stand behind. It is part of their buisiness model to offer USPS, FEdEx or UPS but in the event that the item is "in transit" for 10 days they will close the sale - refund the  buyer, and expect USPS to reroute an item after it was delivered IF THE BUYER IS WILLING TO RETURN THE ITEM. 

NO USPS worker is going to hunt down an item and reroute. Lets be real. 

Try filing a "lost item claim with USPS on an item that is still in transit". GOOD LUCK.

IN most cases - buyers are not going to return the product when they receive it and have been refunded. 

And NO ONE ON THIS PLANET WILL BUILD A BUSINESS MODEL THAT RELIES ON A BUYER RETURNING AN ITEM, THEY HAVE BEEN REFUNDED ON. 

How is this fair? 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Buy labels on PayPal and then you will be able to file an insurance claim. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

As a buyer, I feel it would make sense that if the carrier that the seller chose to ship with loses my item, I should be refunded in full. 

Sure, I would expect the seller to want to recoup their money, thus they should take that up with the carrier that lost the item.

The Terms of Service  pretty much warn sellers that this is what they expect too.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

"How do you feel about this and what are your stories? I know we all have many. "

I feel that as a seller, I am responsible for the item to be delivered to the buyer's address that the buyer provided eBay when purchasing. If the buyer files a Item Not Received case and I can't provide tracking that shows item was delivered, I am responsible to refund the buyer and will do so before eBay does it for me and closes the case and issues a defect to my seller account.

If I have tracking that shows the item was delivered, I will enter the tracking number into the INR case and eBay will close the case in my favor. If the package was stolen from the buyer's porch, I the seller, am not responsible.

Posting ID
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@yeskrsuits wrote:

Just so you know; 

Even if USPS receives the item and the item is in transit - and you have followed all the site policies and guidelines, EBAY WILL REFUND THE BUYER AND THEY WILL NOT COVER YOU AND TREAT YOU AS AN EQUAL WITH A BUYER. 

As they should. Why should the buyer be out both their money and the item they purchased for something that wasn't their fault?

YOU, the seller, purchased the shipping. It is your responsibility to file a claim with USPS if the item was truly in fact lost by them. They will pay out claims for lost packages fairly quickly, as tracking makes it very obvious that the package never reached its final destination.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@yeskrsuits wrote:

@yeskrsuits 

You say the item is "in transit."

What date did you sell the item? What was the date you shipped it?  What does tracking show? What was the estimated delivery date shown on the order?

Item has to have tracking that shows delivery or the buyer gets refunded. If the estimated delivery date has passed and tracking isn't showing movement or delivery, the buyer will get a refund.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

As a seller, I feel I am completely responsible. I choose the carrier, I choose how much to insurance.

Though I gamble with the insurance because I bank on the amount of lost packages will be far less than insuring every shipment.

However, if my package doesn't make it to the buyer, I fully feel and understand that I owe my buyer a full refund.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

It is my understanding the eBay protects us from lost packages.  I have never had eBay debit my account for a lost or INR claim from a buyer.  I always tell the buyers to escalate the case to eBay and never had any issues with losing my money.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@claytonsalesonline wrote:

It is my understanding the eBay protects us from lost packages.  I have never had eBay debit my account for a lost or INR claim from a buyer.  I always tell the buyers to escalate the case to eBay and never had any issues with losing my money.

Although this is an old thread, I'll comment. 

Your "understanding" is NOT correct.

If an item doesn't have tracking showing delivery (as well as s.c. when required for seller protection), a buyer will ALWAYS win INR. If you've never been charged for INR claims, it's because your buyers didn't open claims.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread  if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply