cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm being charged by USPS for voided shipping label dating from December 2023?!?!?

This is something I haven't encountered before in the 23 years that I have been selling on Ebay.

This week USPS charged me for 2 separate shipping labels that had been voided back in December of 2023.  Their reason was because the labels were used after they had already given me a refund...which is not true.  The labels were never used at all...but  for some reason the tracking numbers attached to the labels are showing that they were used for shipping in March of 2024.  I don't understand how that is even possible.  The labels were thrown away in December and never used...but the tracking is updating as if I mailed the packages out last week...which I did not do.

Is anyone else having this same issue?  I'm not even sure how to fight it with USPS and the only things that I can think of is that the tracking numbers are being recycled and someone else has shipped a package using the exact same tracking number...OR...it is a glitch with the USPS tracking system that is somehow providing false updates when nothing has actually been shipped.

Message 1 of 79
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'm being charged by USPS for voided shipping label dating from December 2023?!?!?

@cobra_viper wrote:

This is something I haven't encountered before in the 23 years that I have been selling on Ebay.

This week USPS charged me for 2 separate shipping labels that had been voided back in December of 2023.  Their reason was because the labels were used after they had already given me a refund...which is not true.  The labels were never used at all...but  for some reason the tracking numbers attached to the labels are showing that they were used for shipping in March of 2024.  I don't understand how that is even possible.  The labels were thrown away in December and never used...but the tracking is updating as if I mailed the packages out last week...which I did not do.

Is anyone else having this same issue?  I'm not even sure how to fight it with USPS and the only things that I can think of is that the tracking numbers are being recycled and someone else has shipped a package using the exact same tracking number...OR...it is a glitch with the USPS tracking system that is somehow providing false updates when nothing has actually been shipped.

Hey @cobra_viper! The Shipping team wanted to share an update on this for yourself and others that have been impacted by this:

"USPS recently indicated there was an issue on their side where they incorrectly charged sellers for APV charges for used voided labels. Sellers impacted by this issue can expect to receive refunds by end of week this week for impacted transactions." 

Devon,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 66 of 79
latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

Sounds like the tracking numbers were recycled prematurely. You should contact USPS and have them investigate. I'd start with the email for APV charges to see if they can help, but they may refer you to the general 800 number since it's not technically an APV charge:  verifypostagehelp@usps.gov

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 79
latest reply

Thanks for the advice.  I tried calling them this morning but they are closed over the weekend.  I'll try again first thing Monday morning.  The last 3 times I tried emailing them about an issue I never received a response.

Message 3 of 79
latest reply

Experiencing the exact same thing with 10 voided labels. I emailed APV 8 days ago and no response yet. Did you have any luck calling the 800 number?

Message 4 of 79
latest reply

Did you purchase your labels through eBay or elsewhere @cobra_viper @frankiefasthands ?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 79
latest reply

I purchased them through ebay

Message 6 of 79
latest reply

What does the tracking say on the voided labels? The tracking should show where the packages in question were mailed from.

Message 7 of 79
latest reply

Hi, that just happened to me also...on 3/06/24 I was charged by Ebay for a label that I voided (and is marked  as voided in their system).  The original tracking number was voided on 12/28/23 by me. It was then reissued to another person, who then used it on 2/29/24. Tracking number was 9400108205498494467730

Delivered, In/At Mailbox

DECATUR, IL 62522 

March 4, 2024, 2:21 pm

Arrived at Post Office

DECATUR, IL 62523 

March 4, 2024, 7:02 am

Out for Delivery

DECATUR, IL 62522 

March 4, 2024, 6:10 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

SPRINGFIELD IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

March 3, 2024, 2:29 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

SAINT LOUIS MO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

March 2, 2024, 1:21 am

USPS Regional Facility

METRO NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

March 1, 2024, 8:50 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

METRO NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

February 29, 2024, 1:02 pm

Then the tracking number was reissued on 2/29/24 to another person in NY, who used it!

This was originally voided on 12/28/23 by me!!

Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
NEW LENOX, IL 60451 
December 28, 2023, 4:15 pm

You can dispute it by these directions posted on the Ebay "Manage Shipping Labels" page: 

"If you think these adjustments are incorrect, you can contact USPS Customer Care at 1-844-819-5187 or verifypostagehelp@usps.gov to open a dispute. Make sure you have the IMPB and Revenue Assurance ID below to identify the adjustment. USPS will respond within 5-15 business days."

***NOTE: I had to get a call back from Ebay to receive my Revenue Assurance ID, but she said that I didn't need the IMPB, as it is a barcode.

I have just sent the email this morning, so we'll see how long it takes to receive the refund. The crazy part is that the NY person's package was sent to the original address that I had input back on 12/28/23, so this NY person's item was then delivered to the wrong addressee, my buyer! Now that NY person has to deal with a package delivered to the wrong address. What a mess all around.  This is a really stupid practice that the USPS is implementing.  Hope this helps, and good luck to you (and me...lol) in getting our refunds.

Message 8 of 79
latest reply

There are now 4 sellers reporting the problem that I've seen - 3 on this thread and 1 @thebargainprincess here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/USPS-back-charge-New-on-on-me/m-p/34345140#M472838

I tagged kyle@ebay on the above linked thread and asked him to look into it.

In the meantime I suggest any seller that's affected contact eBay CS to report the problem, assuming you all purchased your labels on eBay.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 79
latest reply

@deserdog wrote:

What does the tracking say on the voided labels? The tracking should show where the packages in question were mailed from.

I started my own thread: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/USPS-back-charge-New-on-on-me/m-p/34345140#M472838

Tracking shows that the item was accepted at my local p.o. but it happened to be a day I didn't even have shipments and wasn't at the post office that day.

Message 10 of 79
latest reply

Something very strange about @thebargainprincess and @truelove091500 tracking info is they both show scans in METRO NY on the day the labels popped back up on USPS radar.

Makes you wonder if there's some kind of fraud happening here with scammers hijacking the tracking numbers. Or it could be coincidence. I wonder if @cobra_viper and @frankiefasthands are seeing the same METRO NY scans

GLORIOUS!

Message 11 of 79
latest reply

The thing is with mine, it was still also delivered to my buyer's address.   So the new person in NY, who got issued my old tracking number, never changed the mailing address?  Or was that a USPS glitch, and the original addresses trumped the new addresses?  

Message 12 of 79
latest reply

I called the USPS number on Monday morning and they opened 2 cases regarding my 2 voided labels.  Both labels were purchased through Ebay and both labels were voided the same day they were purchased.  Neither was used for shipping any packages out.  Both tracking numbers for the labels do show the Metro, NY updates.

As of today, USPS has already rejected 1 of the cases...which is not right...so now they are basically stealing my money for no reason other than they can get away with it.  😡

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.19.27 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.19.44 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.22.40 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.23.36 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.24.02 PM.png

Message 13 of 79
latest reply

My zip code is 62522 in Decatur, IL.  It's showing that you sent the package to me.  

I truly believe this is a glitch with the USPS tracking system and is not Ebay's fault.

Message 14 of 79
latest reply

@cobra_viper wrote:

I truly believe this is a glitch with the USPS tracking system and is not Ebay's fault.

I agree the problem is on USPS's end, but I don't think it's a system glitch or prematurely recycled tracking.

This may be a situation where eBay should make sellers whole, then eBay can deal with USPS on the larger issue.

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 79
latest reply