cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

Bought a sports card last week. The card was initially listed at $19.99. The picture made it seem like it a dark blue prizm so I added it to my watch list. A few days later I received a 50% off offer. So I accepted at $9.99. The picture made it seem like the card was a blue variation but when I received it this Monday it ended up being a LIGHT blue variation. Huge difference. The blue is a SP but the LIGHT blue is common. There is a light blue listed at $1.99 right now on here. Not only did the seller trick me with image but he overcharged me as well.

I was very upset and messaged the seller immediately. He replied and said he would give a full refund upon eBay guidelines.  Mentioned he had bad lighting when he took photo of card. I did not see a straight up refund option. Only a return option. So I jumped the gun and sent a refund request. I assumed he would just refund me and we would resolve without return. But he didn't. He accepted the return request. And paid for shipping label. I found it odd that he would do this for a $1.99 card. I don't want to waste more time and money on this $1.99 card. I don't want to risk this being lost on the way back. Why wouldn't the seller just refund me straight up? 

The seller says, they cannot be refunded for the return shipping label. Is this true? 

I really regret sending the return request. I just didn't see any other option available.

Can I cancel the return and ask ebay to step in? Or maybe the ask ebay to step in option appears in a few days and I should leave the return request open? I have not mailed the card back yet.

Hoping I have more options. I received the card on Monday two days ago.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

Step in for what?

The seller accepted the return and provided a shipping label.

If you want a refund, ship the card back.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 52
latest reply

So, it's just $1.99 for the seller to eat and give you a refund without returning the card. Why don't you just eat the $1.99? Send the card back and get your refund.

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Hi @worldseriesattitude91 

Only a scammer would try to get their money back without returning the item … so I assume you’re having a temporary brain fart.  I can’t think of a single reason to support scamming the seller.  Sorry.

EDITED TO ADD:

Just because an apparently similar item is listed for $1.99 … it doesn’t mean the card you received is worth only $1.99.  

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

No matter the dollar value of the card, that's not how a return request works on here - you need to follow through, return the seller's item, and get refunded your $9.99.

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

I know of no place that will refund a purchase without requiring the return of the item, so I'm totally bumfuzzled that you would even think that's an option, particularly when the seller has provided a label for the return. 

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

Must be misunderstanding your message.  Seller will send, or already has sent, a return label.

Upon receipt of the item, he will refund you in total.  

Why would you need to have eBay "step in"?

Surely you don't believe you should keep the card and be refunded? 

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

The card was bought for $9.99. BUT, the seller LIED/listed it as BLUE. Instead it was LIGHT BLUE. The seller knew what he was doing in as he took a picture to make the card look a different than what it actually was. The $1.99 is the actual value of the card that was sent to me but the seller charged me $9.99. I did not want that light blue variation. 

Idk why you said for me to eat the $1.99 when I paid $9.99. 

The seller wasted $3.50-$4 for tracking on a card that is worth $1.99 or possibly less. I just don't understand 

Would've been better for partial refund honestly. $9.99-$1.99=$8.

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

Ok, let me simplify this for you.

1. The seller took a photo of card to make it look like it was a different variation. Made it seem BLUE but when card arrived it was LIGHT BLUE. LIGHT BLUE IS WAAAY CHEAPER. With these football cards they make a ton of the LIGHT BLUE variations. So when you say "apparently similar item is listed for $1.99" you are WRONG. It is literally the SAME card. It is worth $1.99 might even be worth less. That's how this hobby works.

2. The seller listed it at $20 initially. Not mentioning that it is the LIGHT BLUE version in the description. But in the photo it looks just like the BLUE (very rare variation). I received a 50% off offer after I put this card on my watch list. Bought it of course thinking it was what it looked like in the photo/description for $9.99. That's almost 10x of it's value

How am I the scammer? This person lied in their description and took a photo to make it seem like it was a different card.

I admitted in my initial post that I jumped the gun in sending a return request but we were talking about solving the issue. I just didn't see a refund option.

The best solution would've been to get a partial refund. 

So I asked if I canceled the return can I ask ebay to get involved to try and get a partial refund. Not trying to scam. The seller tried to scam me. I don't understand how you can't see the seller is the scammer here.

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

I understand but I can still cancel the return. I haven't sent the card back yet. I wanted to know if I cancel return would I be able to ask ebay to step in. 

I should've waited a few days as the best solution would've been to get a partial refund. 

The seller charged me for a card that was completely different than what was shown in the photo. Charged me almost 10x of the card that arrived. 

I do regret send that return request though. Even though I can cancel it still. 

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

While you can ask a seller for a partial refund, the only thing eBay will ever enforce is a return of the item for a full refund. If the item is not as described or defective eBay will force the seller to send the buyer a prepaid return label. All of that has happened. So at this point you have two options: you can return the card and get a full refund, or you can keep the card and get no refund. And since the seller has declined a partial refund, those are your only options.

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

Why are you ignoring the fact that the seller had a photo and described the card as something more rare and different color to trick me into buying it as well as overcharging me for it?

Seems like you didn't read all the details. I guess you don't understand because you are not in the sports card hobby world.

I admitted in my original post that I regret sending the return request. But there was no other option available.

So I asked if I can cancel and then have ebay step in to possibly give a refund or partial refund.

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

@worldseriesattitude91 wrote:

I understand but I can still cancel the return. I haven't sent the card back yet. I wanted to know if I cancel return would I be able to ask ebay to step in. 

I should've waited a few days as the best solution would've been to get a partial refund. 

The seller charged me for a card that was completely different than what was shown in the photo. Charged me almost 10x of the card that arrived. 

Ebay does not need to step in. The seller is doing everything how ebay expects the sellerto handle this situation.

Sorry, I really do not understand why you are refusing to ship the item back to get a full refund.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 13 of 52
latest reply

Basically the seller described this card and even had the card in the photo look a darker shade of blue to make it appear to look like a rare variation of the card. 

When it arrived it was the worthless $1.99 version which is more common obviously. I paid $9.99.

The reason why I want ebay to step in is because the card is so worthless that it is not worth shipping back and risking it being lost. Even if shipping label/tracking was paid for. Bubble mailer is $3.50 or $4 with tracking. The card is half of shipping basically. 

I would rather have ebay step in so I can either get refund or partial refund. These options weren't available. I regret sending the return request for sure. But he should have never lied in his description and should have put a photo that showed what the REAL color/variation was of the card. 

I would've accepted a partial refund. Easier for both of us.

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

@worldseriesattitude91 wrote:

There is nothing for Ebay to step in for.

The seller has done exactly what they are supposed to do, accept the return and provide a shipping label.

No, if you close the case, it's over, no opening another return, no asking Ebay to step in.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 52
latest reply