cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkout process using Paypal, it picked a credit card that is not even my default card.

Normally when I checkout, I sign into paypal and it asks me what payment option to use. Credit card #1, Credit card #2, Credit card # 3, Bank account, etc... 

However, today I won an auction and went to checkout and it just said like Payment complete. It picked a credit card which was not even my default credit card on paypal and not the one I wanted to use. 

Any idea why Ebay did this?  Normally I add items to my cart and checkout, however this one it was for an auction won. Still, it's strange for them to pick a card without asking you or even giving you an option to select another card or even cancel. Just went right from make a  payment to completed payment, bypassing the normal steps in between. 

Anyone experience this or know what this is about? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Checkout process using Paypal, it picked a credit card that is not even my default card.

It's possible you were subjected to ebay's autopay buyer experience

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Sounds like this was your Ebay default credit card and was used for an Auction that the seller selected autopay on.

PayPal and some other payment methods are not supported for autopay, probably because they do not offer authorization holds.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You set your payment source for a PayPal payment (when that is what you have selected; you can also select a particular card or Google Pay as a default for making eBay offers or "Change" it on the confirm screen for any particular offer you make that requires it) for pre-authorized eBay payments (e.g. when you make an offer when the seller hasn't opted out of requiring it) at paypal.com: Settings (gear icon top right): Payments: Automatic Payments (at the bottom): eBay (in left column, you might have to keep scolling and hitting "More Activity and scrolling again to get to it) and then make your selections in the main column.

OR to set your PP default for any automatic payment not otherwise set (e.g. as above for eBay) click the Manage Payment Methods button below the "More Activity" button.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@sirbuysalot I have had this happen to me twice already with no explanation from eBay. My default is always my PayPal account. Then I have my credit card as secondary (I only own one credit card), and then I have my debit card as my third. Like I said, twice my purchases have 'defaulted' to my debit card when all others still pay via PP. I can find no correlation between autopay or not because I have purchased several items with autopay engaged and it always allows me to select which payment source. These have just been two seemingly random purchases which went to my third payment source, bypassing two other methods of payment. They were legitimate purchases I made, just defaulted to my third payment method....

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

What do you mean? 

I bid on an action, won the auction, few days later paid for the auction by selecting paypal as my payment method but not giving an option to pick the credit card in my paypal wallet that I wanted to use. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

99.9% of the items I buy on ebay are add to cart then paid for usually when they are running a sale. 

This was one of the few items that I did the auction on. 

So it was auction vs non-auction. 

I do not like what ebay did and would like to disable this option. It feels like someone snatched your wallet from you and scan your card then throws your wallet back at you. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@sirbuysalot wrote:

What do you mean? 

I bid on an action, won the auction, few days later paid for the auction by selecting paypal as my payment method but not giving an option to pick the credit card in my paypal wallet that I wanted to use. 

That's not what you said in your original post:

However, today I won an auction and went to checkout and it just said like Payment complete. 

That made it sound like when you tried to go to Checkout you found that it had already been paid.   So my response and most others was based on what we know about the preauthorization/auto-payment setup like what applies to Best Offer where the seller hasn't opted out (rather than normal Checkout) .  eBay had started experimenting with preauthorization/auto payment for auction bids about a year ago while the Best Offer setup was still being tested on guinea pig buyers (the latter was made official and universal for all buyers with the Fall 2023 update).  I had thought the bid experiment had ended a few weeks ago (based on falloff of posts complaining about it specifically and unmistakenly--many mix up "bid" and "offer"--but your original post suggested otherwise.

In any event I think my advice in Post 4 might still apply if you have opted in or been opted in to a setup where you aren't required to login to PayPal and choose options when you select it at Checkout. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

hello, recently on April 23, 2024, I have this same problem as well, after made "best offer" , ebay took payment from paypal but from bank account  ... I don't like this  😞 

I have check everything on paypal and ebay before make offer price.

Since last year and never change:

Ebay was also set on paypal  (email address) to pay.

Paypal was always set on the "preffered credit card cashback mastercard".

My last purchase was on February 25, 2024 , also base on "best offer" that accepted by seller.

The payment went through normal ebay - paypal - and show on that credit card cashback....this is good.

Also, I check on the "buy it now/BIN" purchase,

it all shows normal payment  ebay - paypal - credit card cashback.

All is good.

So, just wonder why this recently, April 23, took from bank account ...weird ... 

or why not take from another credit cards  that I also have 2 more on paypal account  😞

I'm little dissapointed, because cannot get little percentage cashback or points to collect on credit card.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply