cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay cards to pay for a vehicle

I was trying to buy a vehicle from a seller. I was told to go to a store and buy ebay cards to pay for the vehicle. Once I bought the cards I was to then take a picture of the cards showing the numbers on the back and send this to them. Is this a common way of purchasing through e bay? I would rather just pay with my debit card seems much simpler then buying 5 ebay cards and sending pictures of them? I was emailed an invoice from ebay. How could I find out of its real or if it's a scam?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Scam.  Scam.   Scam.  You got a fake invoice, there is no car.  No eBay warehouse, no bad memories, no family member In the military or whatever the excuse is.  It's a steal of a deal I'm sure of that because it's designed to steal from you.  Those cards are untraceable so as you soon as you send the pics the balance and your money is gone forever.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

SCAM...don't do it!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Yep! It's a scam.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Report it to the site you found it on, because you did not find it on eBay.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Is it a SCAM??

Of course it is.....

Is just plain old

SCAM.

not new sCaM.

Just plain scam man. And it aint even in a cAN....

That steal of a deal is to steal from you.......

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

That is a classic SCAM.   It's always better to pay by credit card. However the thief your dealing with needs an untraceable way to steal money. That is why they want gift cards.

That is not how eBay works.  Just another crook using their name to swindle people.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

SCAM

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

and then you were told to 

put your left leg out..

put your right arm out and 

shake it all around.

You get it, right? This is such an obvious SCAM that you almost let your 'jump on a deal' kick in. 

Good thing you came here. 

Know 2 things at the very least.

2012 Toyota Corollas don't sell for $1200

Nobody...and I mean NOBODY.... wants to sell ANYTHING like an RV, a Trailer, an ATV, a Motorcycle or a Car

for Gift Cards. 

Any REAL person wants Money, Greenbacks, Bucks, Franklins etc. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@brawhi_5 wrote:

I was trying to buy a vehicle from a seller. I was told to go to a store and buy ebay cards to pay for the vehicle. Once I bought the cards I was to then take a picture of the cards showing the numbers on the back and send this to them. Is this a common way of purchasing through e bay? I would rather just pay with my debit card seems much simpler then buying 5 ebay cards and sending pictures of them? I was emailed an invoice from ebay. How could I find out of its real or if it's a scam?

This would a disastrous idea as well, but the reason these scammers do not want that sort of payment is because it leaves a paper trail - Gift Cards are 100% non traceable.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

That was not an invoice from eBay. 

You gave a scammer your name and email address and the scam booger sent you a fake invoice.

The bait was a car priced well below its value. They were hoping your thought would be to hurry up and get this car before somebody else beats me to it!

Forward the email with headers to spoof@ebay.com and report the fraudulent listing on the site you found it.

Educate yourself to scams. Google eBay vehicle scams and eBay gift card scams.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

What you need to always remember is this:  eBay never ever has any involvement with any item listed for sale on any other site.  Why would they when they have their own site to maintain?

Congratulations for checking this BEFORE getting those gift cards.  Saved yourself some serious money as well as disappointment.

"I was mailed an invoice from ebay."  No, you were not.  

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Though you have been given the score here by other eBay members, the sad thing is, someone else will also not understand that if something is priced so under the market cheap (especially in these days) that it probably doesn't really exist. Using that basic tried and true thread of knowledge, would nip it all in the bud from the get-go. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I have been scammed twice and have ebay cards and no car because of this. Mine was 2008 nissian altima.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@amandric_11 wrote:

I have been scammed twice and have ebay cards and no car because of this. Mine was 2008 nissian altima.

Did you give out the gift card codes @amandric_11 ? If you did, then the scammers already drained the cards. I hope you did not give out the gift card codes.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply