cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have not received purchased item, how long should I wait to contact ebay

I purchased an item Saturday 4/27. Seller still hasn't provided shipping info and is not responding to messages (today is 5/2). eBay says to wait until 5/8 before I can claim that I haven't received item. I want to cancel credit card payment, but also don't want to cancel payment if seller is just lazy and has shipped but not updated shipping info??? Is this normal? I have never experienced this lack of communication following a purchase.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

The most important information in a situation like yours, the last estimated delivery date, appears to be missing from your message.

The MBG offers good protection for the buyer if/when a situation goes wrong.  Once a delivery is at least 24 hours late, but less than 30 days, the buyer can open an item not received case.  The seller has no way to "update the shipping into".  He can look at the tracking just like you can look at the tracking.

No need to contact anyone.  So, if you don't mind my asking, what is the last estimated delivery date for your purchase  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

It sounds like you still want the item, so don't call your CC just yet. That is your last option... eBay's got you. Good luck.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sellers are not required to provide tracking numbers or let you know if the item has shipped.

What was the sellers handling time?

If they have a 5 day handling time, they don't have to ship until Friday.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

If eBay is telling you have to wait until May 8th then you have to wait until May 8th to open an INR claim. This may seem like an overly long time to wait until you can open a claim but it's based on the handling time your seller stated in the listing and the guesstimated time the shipping service your seller used says it will take to get the item to you (barring any delays on the part of the shipping service). Other factors can extend the time if takes you to get your item i.e. you purchased the item from a seller outside your country (international shippments are always slower than domestic shipments) or bad weather (like the current rash of tornadoes in the Midwest) causing slowdowns for the shipping service your seller used.

P.S. Unless you've been barred from opening claims on eBay an eBay claim should always be your first option when you have an issue with a purchase. Going directly to your payment source to open a claim voids your eBay MBG protection, opening a claim though eBay first leaves your payment source claim as a fallback option in the extremely rare occasions when a MBG claim is denied. In other words going through eBay first gives you two chances of getting your money back whereas going directly to your payment source only gives you one.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Wait until May 8th....actually May 9th one day after to do it.

Doing the credit card payment cancel...seller might block you for future purchases...and eBay and your banking resource keeps track of all disputes with payments with DoorDash, Uber, Amazon and so on.

Careful how many disputes you do...just a thought.

Not everything will have tracking...not all sellers use it...It isn't a law everything must have a tracking number.

And it seems you are kinda a new buyer from your feedback.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Hold on.  Shipping have been getting slower by the day.  It's far too soon to be thinking about a charge back.  I would allow a bit of extra time past the date you can you can file.  You don't have to however.  Your first cause of action is to file an item not received case with eBay. You do that in purchases.

Packages do get delayed and not every seller is a full time user of eBay.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Another thing to consider is that sometimes things just don't get scanned. I dropped a ground advantage package off a couple weeks ago, headed for North Carolina (slow postal service lately in that area). No scan, nothing for days (very unusual) then suddenly it is scanned "out for delivery" almost a week after I expected it to get there. Your seller may well have dropped it off and once they do it is out of their hands.

You can still open an INR case the day after the latest delivery time that ebay lists for it and I would suggest doing that if you are concerned. You have up to 30 days after they should have been delivered to file, but don't wait beyond that!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Ok, but the seller hasn’t even provided shipping information. So how does this help them?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

You asked if it is "normal". Although not usual, it happens. Shipping info sometimes only occurs when item is delivered and sometimes never even if delivered. Wait until 5/9.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

estimated shipping window is from 5/3 - 5/8. Seller has not updated listing, it still says awaiting shipment. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I’ve actually had items be delivered without ever receiving even an acceptance scan.  In other words, I actually did drop off the package at the post office, but not only did it not get scanned then, nothing ever appeared, but the buyer got it and left positive feedback.

More recently, I shipped a pair of shoes to Texas.  Suddenly the tracking stopped updating.  The buyer ultimately opened a INR case and i refunded him.  Eventually the shoes came back to me . . . From a post office in North Carolina!  How a package shipped to Texas ended up in North Carolina, I have no idea!

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 12 of 12
latest reply