cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacBook bound to email of seller

Hello,

I ordered a second-hand MacBook air (in Dec 2023) and when I got it I could use my apple account. Some months afterwards, I had to to reset the laptop and now am stuck. There is an email associated to the laptop. I guess the previous user has to remove this device from his apple id online and I should be able to continue the steps. The seller is not responding to messages I sent him through ebay. The laptop is actually unusable. What can I do actually ?

s-l1600.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You have a potential costly lesson to learn here unfortunately. Rule of thumb, because most sources can never be truly trusted in the social justice era, upon initial purchase, always update everything before using. You will always be able to detect if it's been bricked pretty quickly. This way, you can sort out if you need to take advantage of returns policies.

After 30 days on 2nd hand goods you are pretty much out of luck. I would investigate with the method of payment used for a potential refund that way as a final resort, where the seller is non-responsive - & actually doesn't need to reply or can't reply due to age of transaction. ebay does block communications after a certain timeframe.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Contact your payment source and see if they have any buyer protection.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hello and thanks,

payment was done by credit card through ebay. Do you mean I have to check with my bank for payment protection ?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Do you mean I have to check with my bank for payment protection ?

@isiel28305 

Most likely yes.  eBay's buyer protection is only good for 30 days after delivery. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You can try and contact Apple support.  That is a problem with used Apple items, unless purchased from a factory dealer, you never have clear title to them.  They can lock down or be reported lost stolen by the original purchaser at any time.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Is the seller the previous user? If they were selling something they obtained from elsewhere; they may not be able to remove the device from Apple even if you could reach them. You won't be getting a return label on eBay at this point, so that leaves your credit card since you said in another post you used one to pay.

If you do a chargeback and win, I believe the seller will be stuck with a fee if they appeal and lose...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello and thanks everyone,

"Is the seller the previous user ?" >> I won't know.

"If you do a chargeback ..." >> How to do this on ebay ?

Do you mean I have to check with my bank for payment protection ?, Most likely yes.  eBay's buyer protection.. " >> No buyer's protection from my bank

I have also tried to "report content" on ebay but it keeps saying "Report submission failed"

Message 8 of 8
latest reply