cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recall message on eclipse glasses

Hello als88,

We take product safety very seriously. We’re reaching out to you because an item you purchased may have been recalled or pose a safety hazard. We recommend that you stop using this product. If you have questions about the item(s), please reach out to the seller or the manufacturer. Item details are listed below. 

More specific details are provided below.

If you have any problems, we recommend that you contact your payment provider to dispute the charge.

Item details: 114838129732 - 3-Pack Eclipse Glasses! Total Solar Eclipse! Safe New USA NASA ISO CE Authentic

If you have questions, please go to "Help & Contact" at the top of most eBay pages.

Thanks,
eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

eBay Document ID: 139863155000
Anyone else get this message? The seller claims the glasses are legit. Why would ebay send out this message?
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hmm. Yes, I remember seeing that company on the short list, of the top 5-6 retailers. I wouldn't be suprised at all if that's eBay's reason. Wonder if they are warning on the load of Chinese glasses.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I don't have experience with that here.

But thought I'd share - I bought some glasses on Amazon before discovering that not-safe glasses were being sold (according to many articles, at least) on here, Amazon, and WalMart. The ones I purchased had a lot of sales but decided not to risk using them and went with one of the manufacturers recommended by the American Astronomical Society. Didn't know that NASA didn't actually approve any either and some of these overseas sellers were using verbiage that touted NASA approval.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but just wanted to put my mistake out there in case the glasses actually aren't good to use.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. The glasses are made by American Paper Optics, one of the AAS certified manufactures. The glasses look genuine. I'm just concerned why Ebay decided to send out this message to scare everyone. Just to cover their ass I guess.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

The message you received is not saying they aren't authentic, they are saying there is a recall on them. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

May Be a recall

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I have a friend who is a solar eclipse chaser. She's seen 21 total eclipses, traveled all over the world to do so, and written a book on eclipses. According to her, the only eclipse glasses you can be sure are safe are those that carry the ISO label and the AAS (American Astronomical Society) seal. It should also be noted that NASA doesn't certify glasses, so indicating a NASA connection is a sure sign the glasses are fake.

There have been millions of unsafe knockoffs produced for this eclipse. Using them can cause serious eye damage. Unless your glasses are appropriately marked please ditch them and get ones that are. I live in the path of totality for the April eclipse, and the glasses I purchased carry both seals.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Hmm. Yes, I remember seeing that company on the short list, of the top 5-6 retailers. I wouldn't be suprised at all if that's eBay's reason. Wonder if they are warning on the load of Chinese glasses.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

According to her, the only eclipse glasses you can be sure are safe are those that carry the ISO label and the AAS (American Astronomical Society) seal.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I've always used the glass out of my arc welding mask.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

An internet search Indicates that the only eclipse glasses you can be sure are safe are those that carry the ISO label, or the AAS (American Astronomical Society) seal.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@bennotbill wrote:

@kathiec wrote:

According to her, the only eclipse glasses you can be sure are safe are those that carry the ISO label and the AAS (American Astronomical Society) seal.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I've always used the glass out of my arc welding mask.

That's perfectly safe. But most people don't buy a welding mask just to see an eclipse. 🙂

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

That's perfectly safe. But most people don't buy a welding mask just to see an eclipse. 🙂

I've always thought that it was probably a bit overkill, and most likely made things darker than the actual special glasses.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@bennotbill wrote:

@kathiec wrote:

I've always thought that it was probably a bit overkill, and most likely made things darker than the actual special glasses.

It is, and they do.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I see  there is now a warning about this very thing on ecommercebytes.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2024/03/17/why-astronomers-are-warning-shoppers-about-amazon-ebay-tem... 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Be careful.  Using the wrong glasses can cause serious eye damage.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply