cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller asked me to open a case for item stuck in customs, but I don't see an option to do that

I ordered something from the UK that is shipping through eBay's "Global Shipping Program" (GSP). It got to Pitney Bowes, which is supposed to ship to the US and was flagged as "undeliverable" (googling tells me this is a common problem with Pitney Bowes).

The seller asked me to open a case, but that's not an option under "more actions" on the order details page. Some more googling suggests that the purchaser can't open a case until after the estimated delivery date has passed, but the selling is telling me they can't do anything until I open a case. It is supposed to arrive 3 weeks from now, but we know its not going anywhere because it is stuck at the shipper.

Is there a way for me to open a case, or should the seller be able to do this and maybe just doesn't know how?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Seller asked me to open a case for item stuck in customs, but I don't see an option to do that

Those stating that there is no way to open a case through your account until the estimated delivery date has passed are correct, however I was able to open a case through a chat with an eBay representative. Relevant section of the transcript attached.

eBay open case through chat.PNG

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

-------------

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You can't open an INR case until the estimated delivery date has passed. The system won't let you do it.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@kurgan41lg,

You will have to tell the seller that there is no way to open a dispute until the last estimated delivery date has passed by 1 day.  Then they will have a path to issue a refund that will include any sales tax you paid. 

These days, with several shippers banning some items from being shipped unless specific conditions are met, you need to check to see if an item can be shipped at all or is banned from import. Some items that can be held up like items that use lithium ion batteries. Can be shipped if the batteries are installed and the packages are labeled as Hazardous Material.  Even then they may be held or seized by some over zealous customs clerks.

If you feel like telling us what the item is, we may be able to offer a different solution. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If the estimated delivery date is three weeks away, it's a little early to start worrying.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Those stating that there is no way to open a case through your account until the estimated delivery date has passed are correct, however I was able to open a case through a chat with an eBay representative. Relevant section of the transcript attached.

eBay open case through chat.PNG

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I'm a bit concerned that the chat CS person told you what you wanted to hear. I don't believe they're able to open a case so please keep an eye on it. 

If you don't get the item, be sure to open the INR case through the order once the estimated delivery date passes.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Actually, they can.

A quote from Devon on the .ca board.

a) A customer can only open an INR once the latest estimated delivery date passed. We may ask that you wait 24 hours after the latest estimated delivery date to file an INR request.

b) The shipping company being used does not change the ability for a buyer to open an INR as long as they do so after the latest estimated delivery date.

c) CSR does have the ability to open an INR case early for a buyer under special circumstances. 

Post 3 -      https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Monthly-Chat-Session/March-12-2024-Monthly-Chat/m-p/505561

Message 8 of 8
latest reply