cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

El-heron i have one that has stumped me.

Copper, maybe a bishopric

FB_IMG_1709783122208.jpg

FB_IMG_1709783131482.jpg

"climate is what we expect weather is what we get"
M. Twain

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Here is the facebook link to the discussion in my Coin Identification group.

The other coin is, I think, a Society for Creative Anachronism product.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/p5NGPnd4awmSE4Gn/?mibextid=oFDknk

M. Twain

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Tagging El Heron for you:  @elheron-grande 

You are probably right about the SCA connection for Georg and Katarzina. The principality of Oertha is located in Alaska. This photo was taken in 2007.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eskalya/1133902727/in/photostream/

With the other coin, the wear makes it hard to read the design, but this coin has similar heraldry:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/german-states-hildesheim-3-pfennig-km-33-16zz-cuid-1206749...

lacemaker3_1-1709933238774.jpeg

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Hola GAC, long time no see.  The coin depicted could possibly be an English issue during the era of Elizabeth One.  Heron has seen that coat of arms previously but cannot remember where or when.  We probably need Aga to assist.  The 'B' could possibly be an 'R' and that would be

Elizabeth Regina.  Heron will search through some English coats of arms to see what can be found.  Good to 'see' you again! 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Hola GAC.  A quick search leads Heron to believe that the item depicted is not an English monarch's coat of arms.  Could be an issue by a lower

on the ladder royal person.

In addition, we can now begin to search the issuing authorities in the Holy Roman Empire.  It is possible that it was issued by a Bishop.

Heron will search after his eyes recover.  We will have fun!

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Five hours into the search & Heron found a coin dated 1779.  This coin was issued by Franz von Erthal, Wurzburg Bishop.  Coat of arms has lion en rampant facing L. in upper left quadrant of wappen.  The COA other quadrants are different than on your coin. However, Bishopric wappen changed often.  So, Erthal Bishop.  EB on coin.  Could be a possible 'connection here'.

Perhaps AGA will advise us?

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

When I informed the guy with both coins of the Alaska SCA connection, he pointed out that the bird looked like a native "thunderbird" 

M. Twain

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

*!I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED!*

Looks like a Lowlands (Netherlands) issue. I hate the Lowlands. Huge number of coin-issuing authorities for that soggy land, and no real comprehensive reference work. 

Best guess is a copper liard from Liege. Possibly Archbishop Ernest of Bavaria (EB), 1581-1612. Can't find this exact type, but typical style for this city. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Nice clue. The closest match I found was a "F B" for Ferdinand of Bavaria from some Abbey in Belgium

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces121701.html?fbclid=IwAR1TNkHTL7hQlpr9VYMl5r92HhrJupPSJJe4QiGQ...

M. Twain

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I think Liege is close. I found these.

I found an Ernst of Bavaria.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces341288.html

that looks like the right coat of arms and a Ferdinand of Bavaria with the "F B" with a cross
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces93190.html
I think we're close!

The owner is going to try and decipher as much of the rim inscriptions as he can.

THANKS guys!

M. Twain

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Hola GAC:  Follow up.  Heron searched through all the coins issued by Bishopric of Wurzburg as shown on the Numista site.  Heron did not find any 'Bishop coins' with E B.  The lion made its first appearance on COA in about 1760.  On a coin of Bishop Adam Frederick of Seinsheim.

It appears that some of the Bishops issued a coin with different COA about every year, mas o menos.

Another possibility:  Some of the Bishoprics were given 'mint rights' for the actual Church to issue coins.  Usually minor coins or 'church tokens'.

So, it might be possible that a coin with E B onnit is a Church token or minor coin.

Well, researching is fun and sometimes we learn things and sometimes we cannot find what we seek.  ('Do not seek the treasure').

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Hola AGA! Well done and many thanks for the info.  Heron forgot all about E of Bavaria.  Heron even has some of those Niederlanden coins and/or tokens.  Memory beginning to fade now.  

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Hola GAC: Searching collection. No E B found yet.  However, Heron did find one of his favorite coins.  It is an Oord of Copper issued 1617-1662.

Issued in the name of: Jobst Maximillian Count of Bronckhorst & Gronsfeld, & Baron of Batenburg and Rimburg, & Lord of Alphen and

Hempel.  This coin grades VF. (Perhaps his nick-name was JM?)

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Hola GAC:  Heron checked Liege coins in his small collection.  Heron has at least 2 Liege coins.  Bouillion (a municipality of sorts) and 1 coin of Ferdinand who was next ruler after Ernst.

Some info re Ernst. In addition to Liege, he was also Bishop of;

Freising.

Hildesheim.

Koln.

And Muenster.

(Heron checked his HIldesheim items. No Ernesto coins there.)

So, the E B coin could possibly have been issued for one of the

other issuing authorities? Just considering possibilities. Researching is fun (but hard on Alt eyes).  

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

A lot of carpet-baggers around in those days.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply