cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID EMPOLI GLASS APOTHECARY JAR

Hi, this jar is 14 in tall, has no mark and it is optic. I have seen others identical to this identified as in pulley but just want to make sure. Thank you

20231208_094627.jpg

20231208_094511.jpg

20231208_094545.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: ID EMPOLI GLASS APOTHECARY JAR

For the last several years, apothecary display jars have been widely copied and reproduced in China, and especially in India. The wholesale marketplaces have been flooded with them. As a result, you have to be a areal expert to be able to be able to identify reproduction. The glass craftsmen in India and China are very good, and you can't tell just by the looks, or from a photograph. This kind of jar, that could have been used to display hard candies for sale, for example, have been very widely reproduced.

A good clue is if you see several other examples that are almost the same, they are probably reproductions. Most of the originals are in collections, and they don't come onto the market very often, so it's unusual to see more than one that are very similar to each other on the market at the same time.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you, Lacemaker,

Actually I have only found one of the exact jar and that was sold on Etsy. Searching the whole internet I have not found another one exactly like it.

I appreciate your information Thank you

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

And to add to what Lacemaker said:

Unfortunately, a lot of sellers are now using "Empoli" to mean any green glass.  That's because "Empoli" or "Empoli Verde" sounds fancier and , after all, even experts have a hard time determining whether a piece is actually Italian glass that took its color from the local sand used by several different glassmakers in Tuscany.

So, I agree with Lacemaker that you need more to go on before declaring this Empoli glass, given how much green glass there is out there and given how many repros of anything and everything even slightly collectible are being produced in Asia.

It's pretty, though, and someone will like it, whatever it turns out to be.

-

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Macro, macro, macro! Yet again I ask for posters to provide macro (extreme close-ups in focus) to let us see what needs to be seen on your items. On an item like this, we need to look for wear on the base or and other contact points, otherwise, it's probably a fake.

My dad was in aerospace and his favorite saying was "garbage in, garbage out". He would be proud that it is still a worthy quote.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply