cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a vintage doll or handmade?

dolls shown in the movie "a Christmas Story"Hi,

In the opening scene of the movie "A Christmas Story" there is a shot of HIGBEES store window. Part of the display has these dolls falling from parachutes. They all seem to be the same and are clothed the same (blue shirts and red plaid pants). Is this an identifiable doll or do you think they were all hand made? The movie takes place in 1940. Thanks. - John

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I think it's almost certain they were put together by the prop department specifically for the movie. It would be extraordinarily difficult to find that many vintage dolls in pristine condition. And it would very likely be much cheaper to just make them than to find and purchase vintage.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi.

Maybe redressed Walda's?  😁

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thanks, I will look into that. I assume Walda was a popular mass produced doll?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@twnhstnut wrote:

Thanks, I will look into that. I assume Walda was a popular mass produced doll?

Walda was the name the regulars on the old eBay Doll Board gave to a mass-produced china doll that was sold in magazine ads in the 1970s into the 80s. She wore a printed cotton prairie dress and a hat. The name Walda was a play on Waldo because of the vast number of these dolls we'd see popping up on eBay as priceless antiques. 

If you want to know more, here's a loving tribute to Walda done by one of the old Boardies, Madmanbreen. He had quite a collection of them.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SzsSE6AzKjM

Message 5 of 5
latest reply