cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Fall Seller Update: Promoted Listing Changes

If you use promoted listings is a must read.

My interpretation is that if you promote an item and it sells then the probability that you will be charged the promoted listing fee is going to be 99+%.    Supposedly started today so keep track and we'll see.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

That's not new. You'd don't pay a fee to promote until it sells. If you end it before it sells, or stop promoting it before it sells, you never pay the fee.

In other words, you've never paid a fee simply to promote, but always when it sold under promotion.

I found the info on promoted listings to be the most interesting in this update. Namely, that they will eliminate the way promoted items would end up showing up twice in the same search result, once as a "promoted listing" and once in the normal mix. I'll be glad to see that practice end. It was annoying when searching.

I don't personally make huge use of promotions. There's only one category I do and that's because there are literally millions of other very similar items listed. I find it more effective to pay an extra 15% commission to Ebay than to offer 15% off to the buyer. I'd rather give it to the buyer, but it's all about the numbers.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@neato-burrito 

My understanding is a promoted listing fee will be charged if a potential buyer clicks on the ad and then purchases that item within 30 days of the click, whether or not that specific promotion has ended.

Example: 

Seller sets a campaign at 5% beginning on Sep 1st  to run through Sep 10th.

Potential buyer clicks ad on Sep 5th and completes purchase on Sep 15th.  

5% fee is charged because the initial click on the ad, and the subsequent purchase occurred within the 30 day window.

I may be wrong in my understanding.  Hopefully, another member will clarify if I am misunderstanding the information below.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing-and-marketing/promoted-listings.html#m22_tb_a1__2 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

So, for instance, someone clicks on your ad and then adds it to their watch list or cart bit doesn't follow through with the purchase. The next day you end the promotion. A week later the buyer purchased the item from the watch list or cart and you still get charged the fee. That scenario makes sense because it's reasonable to assume that the buyer was alerted to your ad when it was promoted.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@neato-burrito 

Yes, that is my understanding.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

As neato stated it has been like this since promoted listings started.  30 day window.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@neato-burrito wrote:
So, for instance, someone clicks on your ad and then adds it to their watch list or cart bit doesn't follow through with the purchase. The next day you end the promotion. A week later the buyer purchased the item from the watch list or cart and you still get charged the fee. That scenario makes sense because it's reasonable to assume that the buyer was alerted to your ad when it was promoted.

But only if they click on the promoted listing. If they click on the regular listing, then no fee is charged.

So instead of seeing a duplicate of your listing as 'sponsored' and then your regular listing, if they eliminate the duplicate, which one do you think will be displayed?

I never click on those, one reason would be to save the seller some money if I decide to buy it, and the 2nd reason is that 'sponsored' reminds me of all of the 'sponsored' ads that took you off site.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You nailed it!  Of course only the "spomsored" listing will be the only one shown.  Previously with the duplicate listing a promoted item could sell and it was very possible that you would not be charged the promoted listing fee.  Under the new "set up" if a promoted item sells then you can almost be certain that you will be paying the fee.

When one sees these "changes" you have to think like eBay does....what is it we can do to squeeze additional $ out of our sellers?   Bottom line is that those using promoted listings will have less visibility (no longer duplicate listings where a buyer has twice the chance of seeing it) and they will end up paying eBay more promoted listing fees then they would have before.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

So will the only "promotion" be the sponsored banner on a listing?
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply