cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted vs non-promoted being seen / search results

So, non-promoted listings may not be seen, as buried in the update.  Is this fair?

Store operators pay a monthly fee which includes a predetermined number of listings.  If a store operator cannot afford to give up more of his profit to pay extra fees for promoting listings that sell,  chooses to charge buyers actual shipping cost instead of possibly overcharging some by offering  free shipping and sells items that can easily be used, abused and returned like jewelry and clothing, their listings will not surface near the top of search and will quite probably not be visible to potential buyers?

I am top rated, offer free shipping, 30 day returns, all the hoops and loops eBay tells me I need to get my items seen.  I have seen my sales dwindle over the past couple of years.  Mondays I would ship over 100 items.  These Mondays I am lucky to ship 12 items.

Not all sellers can offer and absorb extra expenses to get their items better placement.   Perhaps eBay should see that all UNITED STATES resident sellers on the USA eBay.com site have an equal opportunity of having their listings occasionally surface near the top in search results.  If not, what are they paying for?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

You are misunderstanding what ebay is saying. Currently, if I have a listing and also choose to promote it, BOTH the promoted listing and the regular listing appear in search results, which clutters up the search results page, something buyers and sellers have been complaining about since PL began.

This change means that ebay will show only one of those , could be the PL, could be the non-PL, depending on a variety of factors. This change will REMOVE the duplication that has been cluttering up search results pages.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I'm unclear about this statement:

"We will select which listing to display, based on factors such as listing quality, relevancy to the buyer’s search, and ad rate."

Other than the ad rate (which is obviously only on the promoted version), how would the other factors be different since it is the same listing?

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

"We will select which listing to display, based on factors such as listing quality, relevancy to the buyer’s search, and ad rate."

Other than the ad rate (which is obviously only on the promoted version), how would the other factors be different since it is the same listing?

Maybe the person writing that statement didn't understand the concept of "promoted listings"?  Seems very odd as you say.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Thanks for your question!

Ad rate is one factor that is considered for Promoted Listings placement, but is not the only factor. Other factors include listing quality, relevancy, and more. Optimizing your listings for Best Match remains an important best practice. High quality listings have a higher potential to get more clicks and ultimately more sales.

With this change, if your organic listing naturally ranks higher, your Promoted Listing won’t appear in search, but can still be shown across other promoted placements onsite. Conversely, if your promoted listing ranks higher, your organic listing will no longer appear in the same set of search results.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

@gwent22 wrote:

Ad rate is one factor that is considered for Promoted Listings placement, but is not the only factor. Other factors include listing quality, relevancy, and more. Optimizing your listings for Best Match remains an important best practice. High quality listings have a higher potential to get more clicks and ultimately more sales.

With this change, if your organic listing naturally ranks higher, your Promoted Listing won’t appear in search, but can still be shown across other promoted placements onsite. Conversely, if your promoted listing ranks higher, your organic listing will no longer appear in the same set of search results.

One problem with this implementation is that many buyers intentionally skip thru the Promoted Listing because it shows up as "Sponsored". As a reflex, I even skip the "Ad" results in Google searches.

If ebay is going to remove the organic listing and only show the promoted listing in search results... the least they can do is make that listing look no different than any other organic listing (and still give the exposure of a promoted listing). In other words... remove that darn "Sponsored" tag on these promoted listings.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

If ebay is going to remove the organic listing and only show the promoted listing in search results... the least they can do is make that listing look no different than any other organic listing (and still give the exposure of a promoted listing). In other words... remove that darn "Sponsored" tag on these promoted listings.

They have to leave the sponsored tag to comply with Federal laws. Previously it said promoted and they had to change it to sponsored to comply with the law about paid advertising.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

They have to leave the sponsored tag to comply with Federal laws. Previously it said promoted and they had to change it to sponsored to comply with the law about paid advertising.

Boooooooo! Then at least put it on there using 0.5 pt font 😉

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@gwent22 wrote:

This is a very difficult recommendation to meet in reality.  Other than "good photos", "accurate description", "competitive pricing", etc, we have little if no "best practice" information to follow to optimize listings for Best Match.  Every time we ask for more insight in how to do this we are met with "it's proprietary, we can't tell you anything".  Also those that track how their ads do in "best match" are well-aware that the criteria changes frequently.  How are we as sellers expected to make this a best practice?

Why would the "organic" listing ever rank higher in eBay's eyes?  eBay makes more money on the promoted listing and has the stated goal (right from the CEO's mouth) to drive more sellers to use promoted listings.  I can't see that the "organic" would EVER rank over the "promoted" just based on eBay's stated goals.

@zamo-zuan thought you might find this discussion interesting.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Why would the "organic" listing ever rank higher in eBay's eyes?  eBay makes more money on the promoted listing and has the stated goal (right from the CEO's mouth) to drive more sellers to use promoted listings.  I can't see that the "organic" would EVER rank over the "promoted" just based on eBay's stated goals.

That's exactly my point.  Since the listings are identical (other than the sponsored tag on one), what makes one better than the other?  How can the quality or relevance of one be better than the other?  If I do something to optimize my listing, then it optimizes both of them---it's the same item number.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

That's exactly my point.  Since the listings are identical (other than the sponsored tag on one), what makes one better than the other?  How can the quality or relevance of one be better than the other?  If I do something to optimize my listing, then it optimizes both of them---it's the same item number.

My guess is that they will tally the number of impressions and sales and sales conversions for the promoted version vs the organic.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

They can't do that with new listings though.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I agree with this:

"Since the listings are identical (other than the sponsored tag on one), what makes one better than the other?  How can the quality or relevance of one be better than the other?"

The only other factor is the promoted listing ad fee.  And since the listings are equal, except for that one is a promoted listing, then it seems like the promoted listing would have the advantage EVERY time.

EBay, could you comment on this?  I'm a big fan of Promoted Listings, but this seems like my unpromoted listings will have no chance of being the ones organically seen.

Thanks for your help with this,

Cheryl

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Exactly.....there wouldn`t be. Ebays going to stack the deck in their favor. The house always wins.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@gwent22 wrote:

This is a very difficult recommendation to meet in reality.  Other than "good photos", "accurate description", "competitive pricing", etc, we have little if no "best practice" information to follow to optimize listings for Best Match.  Every time we ask for more insight in how to do this we are met with "it's proprietary, we can't tell you anything".  Also those that track how their ads do in "best match" are well-aware that the criteria changes frequently.  How are we as sellers expected to make this a best practice?

@zamo-zuan thought you might find this discussion interesting.

It's a bit confusing without more transparency.

In theory, this could be very "fair" if, for example, your organic listing scores highly, and the first page of search results is NOT cluttered with duplicates (which was one of the top problems of the system, as duplicates made less spots on the first page, which hurts everyone).

At the same time, it's hard to say exactly what they mean by this. Is the organic listing getting compared to typical sponsorship placement that all sellers share based on how much invested? Or does the organic listing have it's own SEO statistics that are being monitored separate from the organic listing? If it's the latter, it becomes a bit less "fair" as the sponsored listings by design have some elevated statistics. 

It also leaves a mystery to one of the other key variables: Peer rates. They did say this was involved in the determination. Does that mean if you pay *more* for a sponsored listings, you're making your organic results LESS likely to appear? This would make the new changes "shady" rather than fair, as in this case your spending money on eBay would be contributing to your own stores decline in organic statistics.

It also has side-cases that may be inadvertent changes and/or problems. For example, if the sponsored listing is showing instead of your organic results, this is likely going to have a negative effect on your organic statistics. 

This all may or may not be the case. I can only assess the proposed ideas, and think of it from the perspective of a designer. If I was designing the system, these would be the problems I would be looking at. Did eBay take these things in to consideration? I have no idea. And without any transparency/clarity in to how these things work, it's hard to give any guess as to how things will turn out.

In response to the "best match" issues, this is legitimately true. "Best practices" often don't help, or only help in specific cases nowadays. If you do some major changes such as dropping the price far below market value, it's a coin flip if it will actually improve things or not. And as mentioned, eBay does say "we can't tell you anything". So it's hard to know what to do exactly.

At the end of the day, we can still hope for the best. Because Sponsored Listings was debatably the #1 issue that was making the design of eBay's search unsustainable. If they did develop a solution to this problem, it might have became possible to score highly in organic search based on your own changes to your store again. Some community members have documented their experiences with this and didn't find success. I can hope that these changes resolved the problem (at least a little bit) and make it possible to actually compete again.

If this brings "healthy competition" back to eBay, it's good for all of us. I can't say if these changes succeeded or not, and I haven't tested anything post these changes yet. Wishing for the best!

(Random note, I hope it did improve things, as CSR's have recently been saying they received notice from the IT department to "stop reporting search problems as they have been reduced to a skeleton crew until next year while the personnel was moved over to work on Managed Payments". If this is true... it's one of the scarier things I've encountered on eBay.)

Message 15 of 32
latest reply