cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling perfume and cologne decants…

Hello eBay community,

My question is… I know that eBay has done away with being ‘allowed’ (key word ALLOWED which I’m using loosely for this post) to sell perfume and cologne decants years ago, in 2016 if memory serves me correctly. Then why are people still able to sell these in 2023? I see listings everywhere all day every day. eBay’s own cosmetics policy that’s printed in black and white says this:

What is the policy?

• Listings for used cosmetics, sponges, or applicators are not allowed. This includes products such as skin moisturizers, sunscreens, perfumes, lipsticks, fingernail polishes, eye and facial makeup preparations, shampoos, permanent waves, hair colors, toothpastes, and deodorants
  • Used cosmetic brushes can be sold but must be thoroughly cleaned.
  • COSMETICS, COLOGNES, PERFUMES, AND LOTIONS MUST COME IN THEIR ORIGINAL CONTAINER.
  • Homemade cosmetics must comply with government regulations

Activity on eBay is required to:

• Follow all applicable laws
  • Respect the rights of third parties
  • Follow the eBay User Agreement
  • Follow this eBay policy

If activity doesn’t meet these requirements, eBay may take action consistent with applicable laws and the eBay User Agreement, and may even be legally required to do so. Such actions may include, as an example only: administratively ending listings or canceling transactions, hiding or lowering the placement of listings in search results, lowering seller rating, restricting buying or selling, forfeiture of fees, loss of buyer or seller protections, restricting access to member communication and rating tools, removing feedback, and account suspension.

The word DECANT even has been flagged in eBay’s system. You cannot list anything with the word decant spelled out anywhere, and for anyone that doesn’t know what a decant is, it is a much smaller receptacle to spray perfume or cologne into, like a small travel atomizer for example or a small cologne tester tube. Perfume and cologne must come in their original containers. Why is it that there’s literally slews of people being allowed to sell these now with zero recourse in place? I have reported so many sellers that exclusively sell perfume and cologne decants and nothing ever happens to them, ever. I have contacted eBay through messaging and even called numerous times by speaking with a supervisor and nothing ever happens to these people. Their listings are still very active and they’re still receiving lots of feedback so I know that eBay is turning a blind eye. But if I was to list a cologne decant then that listing is pulled within a matter of days. Total garbage.

Why is it that certain eBay sellers are obviously getting away with violating eBay’s own policies? Personally I find this as incredibly annoying and unnerving that the rules do not apply to certain individuals. Please chime in because I would love to hear other’s input on this matter. Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Are those other sellers listing in the collectibles category?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

No. They’re all listed under health & beauty/ fragrances which makes it even more frustrating.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply