cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay now requiring item photo as part of return.

The assumption that everyone has a device to take photographs is wrong, and this new demand stops the Return Request in its tracks.  And, finding "direct  contact" with eBay is extremely difficult.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

In the absence of returning an item in person, how else do you expect to convey condition or support your claim?

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

When you make a purchase online then you have to expect to return it using an online process. If this were an in-person retail establishment, then you wouldn't balk at the request. You chose to purchase online, your choice not to own a mobile phone, in 2022, places you at a disadvantage to life in general. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Where are you reading that a photo is required for a return?

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

It is not my choice not to own a mobile phone or other device.  You probably could have been more condescending, but it was sufficiently so.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Thank you.  In the Return request.  It used to be option to enter a photo, but now it is a demand that stops proceeding with the return process, so that the Confirm Return button is not "live."

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Now seems to be randomly required to provide a photo.  Some past posts have been made.  As usual, likely no rhyme, nor reason as to which require, and which do not. (eBay secret to protect eBay/sellers)

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

I have no mobile phone. How will I ever exist?

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

In the absence of returning an item in person, how else do you expect to convey condition or support your claim?

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Usually, I find your replies here to be spot on, but will have to disagree with you about this.

The person who said you seemed condescending was right, although I don't believe you meant it to be.

I, too, do not have a cell phone (by choice) nor do I have a digital camera.  I remarked on the Boards quite awhile back that I guess, if I receive something not as described, I'll just have to keep it.

BTW, haven't yet had any occurrence where my lack of a cell phone and its accompanying cost has placed me at a disadvantage in life in general.  When/if that does occur, you can be sure I will report it somewhere.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

I did not click Accept as Solution.  And, when the item is back with the Seller, the Seller would test and see that the item does not work.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Now seems to be randomly required to provide a photo.  Some past posts have been made.  As usual, likely no rhyme, nor reason as to which require, and which do not. (eBay secret to protect eBay/sellers)

Maybe ebay thinks this will protect sellers but I sure don't see how.

If I were a scammer and was going to pull the switcheroo scam, I would just take a picture of the item I received and then send back my unwashed laundry.   Seller then complains about getting dirty laundry and it becomes a typical he said-she said dispute.   And we know ebay always sides with the buyer on those.

Another thought on this issue:   ebay should have announced this change.   To spring the photo requirement on an unsuspecting buyer is just not right.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

It seems more about a scam issue... To me I wish that it is require to take picture of the item at the post office or  before handing it to the post workers before it is taped up so I don't end up with a pile of rocks or someone trash.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Perhaps you have a friend or relative with either a smart phone or a digital camera you could borrow?   Another possibility is if you have a printer/scanner?

Ebay should have announced this change.   Springing it on an unsuspecting buyer is just not right.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Thank you.  I was surprised.  I do have a digital camera, but need to recharge the batteries.  I will send a thousand photos.  It's reasonable to request photos, even as they can be manipulated - easily manipulated.  The description of the problem counts more, in my opinion, as would the Seller's examination of the returned item.  

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Trust me -- it wouldn't help.  

Message 15 of 46
latest reply