cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Fall Seller Update - Sales Taxes

Clause 5 - Fees and Taxes

"In any jurisdiction where eBay has an obligation to collect sales taxes on sales you make using eBay Services, we may collect such sales taxes from you via the payment method on file under the terms of the Billing Agreement or via any other means available to us."

Anyone able to explain in which situations Ebay intends to collect sales taxes from the Seller rather than the Buyer?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Thanks very much!

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@pokascomics wrote:

Clause 5 - Fees and Taxes

"In any jurisdiction where eBay has an obligation to collect sales taxes on sales you make using eBay Services, we may collect such sales taxes from you via the payment method on file under the terms of the Billing Agreement or via any other means available to us."

Anyone able to explain in which situations Ebay intends to collect sales taxes from the Seller rather than the Buyer?

eBay collects taxes on Seller Fees where they are required, currently that includes sellers registered in Canada and in the EU (possibly Australia as well). taxes are based on the country the seller is registered in regardless of which sites they list on. These taxes have nothing at all to do with buyers or the sale of goods, only the fees paid to eBay.

Currently there are no US States where sales taxes apply to eBay fees.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@pokascomics wrote:

When you have a moment, you might read this thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Updates-to-Ebay-User-Agreement-regarding-Sales-Tax-Collection/...

and this thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Marketplace-Updates/User-agreement-forced-tax-collection/m-p/30199873#...

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I am confused. If I pay ebay fees for selling  they are the ones that should pay taxes on the income made from my fee payment.

In the countries/states that are currently required to collect state tax I thought eBay was to add the appropriate tax to the buyers invoice not the seller?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply