cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling to museums

Is it just me, or do museums give everybody the run around about how they never buy stuff, they only accept donations. So far 5 museums have told me that, including the Smithsonian Institute! Yet I KNOW people have sold to them before and one of the museums that said they never purchase stuff ended up purchasing one of my cards. It's really ticking me off this facade they put up. Anyway I'm supposed to be faxing something to the Smithsonian Institute for their ''perusal'' today and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Does it mean they are interested in buying it if they call you up and say ''We're only interested in your donating it?'' Are you supposed to haggle with them? Make an offer? Let them make an offer? I have something that I really think is unique and know is valueable and I'm beginning to wonder if museums give you the best price or if they're worth all the hastle or if I'm just doing something wrong. I'm half way tempted to just stick it up online and put a reserve on it. I'm just so sick of their attitude. Yes, I know people donate stuff. If I found a major fossil, they'd be more than welcome to it, but this is something I BOUGHT and need to make a return on this is what I am trying to do for a living(or was at least), so I have to make money too. Any advice on the doublespeak museums seem to insist on? C.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Selling to museums

pixiamom
Enthusiast
I've never solicited a museum for a sale, I've sold serval cards to museums (not valuable ones, but of local interest). I've had a few museums ask me to donate a specific card. When I took the time to answer, it was something like: only if you'd be willing to my grocery fund! Jane
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
I've never asked a museum to buy something of mine, but I've sold to various museums many times. Not one of them has ever asked me to donate anything to them, or even hinted at it - they've all contacted me and been happy to pay. I wouldn't donate anything, but then I do this for my living and I couldn't afford to give stuff away. If it were me, I'd tell them to pound salt, lol. I'd just go about my business. The price is $X, I'd like you to have it but if you don't want to pay that's fine, I'll sell it elsewhere. Diane

Contact me about how to get free shipping for postcards you buy!
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

I did have a museum ask for a donation. It was a little po-dunk regional one and I was happy to oblige. Joyce
Postcards of all ages For all ages!
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
I'm just too crass ;) Diane

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

No your not Diane, your a business woman and I'm just a softy! Gee they sent it on letterhead and everything! I guess thats why I'm not a power seller, I think too much like a collector. Joyce
Postcards of all ages For all ages!
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
I've got some cool covers & letterhead from museums and other archival institutions - from when they bought from me ;) Diane

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

''I've never solicited a museum for a sale, I've sold serval cards to museums (not valuable ones, but of local interest). I've had a few museums ask me to donate a specific card. When I took the time to answer, it was something like: only if you'd be willing to my grocery fund!'' Jane ROFL! I'll have to try that one! That's a good idea. As for donating stuff, I like to donate to the charitees that I like, so I'd have to say I'm more like you Diane, I view this as part of my living and I think that's what I'll do, the price is x, and if they don't want it I'll tell them I'll put it on an auction block. Then I'll put it on e-Bay with x as the reserve. If they want to take the trouble to come find it on e-Bay, that is fine. But they'll have to pay what I asked or more to get it. Yeah, little town museums are one thing, but big museums I think can afford it. Just from all the times I've frequented them alone, they should LOL! J/K And Joyce there's something to be said for knowing that your item is going to a museum. I sold my Hollywood one for way cheaper than what I might have been able to get it on e-Bay cuz I thought it would be enjoyed by more people in a museum and it was just so neat to sell to one. So I guess there's a middle road sometime too. And I have to say I kept the letterhead and envelope(they sent it from the Hollywood museum w/ a Hattie McDaniel stamp :-D) just cuz I thought it was so neat like you Dianne. Those are sort of special collections of our own I guess, hah? C.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

daveypn
Enthusiast
Personally I'm still against institutional collections, particularly those which don't display what they have. Virtually all British museums don't have sufficient gallery space to display more than a small fraction of what they have. Some allow you to make an appointment to view items from "the basement" but few have a good enough catalogue to let you see what they've got and even fewer have it on the web so you can decide if it's worth the trip. If the museum wants the image, send them a high-res scan. Why exactly do they need the original in the case of postcards? Of course every card headed into a museum is one less for the collecting community (us!). At least when I buy a card, one day, (though not too soon I hope), it will come up for sale again, giving someone else a chance. Paul
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

I'm with you Paul Museums should not be huge storage facilities for the elite to view.......Don't even get me started on the Queens collection being sold off - NOT HERS...... OURS!!! Sara
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

pixiamom
Enthusiast
Good point, Paul. I never watermark my scans and have never denied permssion to anyone wishing to download them.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

alanp6344
Enthusiast
Museums generally take better care (preservation) of the cards than any of us. I've started a relationship with several institutional collections in my area and gladly let them scan anything from my personal collection. The main museum I help uses the scans for viewing the cards--less wear and tear that way. Funding/time is the major reason that institutional collections aren't better displayed and more accessible although no museum would ever have their cards out like at a postcard show with the public going through the boxes at will! Libraries and Historical Societies are two other 'institutions' that have postcard collections. My advice is to get to know yours--ask at your public library if they have any and if you can see them; volunteer, asking if you can help in any way categorizing and listing their collection. Find a local historical society and see what it has. Chances are you have some cards that would interest them. It also might give you a lead on a new card for your collection--"Oh, I didn't know that card existed!" I'm new around here, so take my advice with the proverbial grain of salt. We tend to build personal relationships in this business and doing that with a large-ish institution takes some time but it's worth it! Alan
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

Hi dear friend i have some antique old stuff from 1000 years a cup made with copper and it’s Heavy so how can i sell this special stuff?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

This a cup made with copper and heavy it’s from 1000 years ago for more information 

aflatoon627@gmail.com send email 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Selling to museums

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply