cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is offering free returns, but outside of eBay (and I think the item is a fake).

I purchased an item from an ebay seller and when it arrived, it looks fake.  Checked the manufacturer website and several of the "tell tale signs of counterfit products" match the item received.  I was about to initiate a return when I noticed the seller included a return label in the package with a note "offering free returns, just use the included label".  I am leery of returning outside of eBay (not initiating the return through My eBay) as I will not have any recourse if the seller says the return was never received.  Has anyone had an experience similar to this or does anyone have any advise on how to proceed?

Edit:  The seller has several feedback from other buyers claiming non-authentic goods (I did not check individual feedback before purchasing, unfortunately). 

TIA

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyer is offering free returns, but outside of eBay (and I think the item is a fake).

@brstal-70 

Definitely do NOT use that label for your return -- the seller will NOT refund you, plus you will no longer possess the item.

Use the regular eBay return process:

1.  Go to your "Purchase" page.

2.  On the right hand of the screen are a column of blue boxes.

3.  Click on "More actions" -- then click on "Return this item."

4.  You'll be sent to a different screen -- choose your reason for return from the options available -- if you think that the item is a counterfeit, choose "Doesn't match description or photos."

5.  Follow the rest of the instructions provided by eBay.

6.  Hopefully, the seller will just send you a REAL address label -- just repackage the item, stick the address label to the package, and mail it out.  In a few days, you'll receive your refund from the seller.

7.  However -- if the seller puts up a fuss for any reason, stand your ground, and don't cave in to the seller.  If the seller still puts up a fight, escalate through eBay.  After a few days, eBay will force the seller to send you a REAL label.  BUT -- the seller may dispute the return, & you should continue with the escalation through eBay -- after a few days,  eBay will pluck the refund from the seller's account to refund you, and eBay may also advise you to keep the item -- plus the seller will get a defect.

8.  Hopefully you did not order this item from China -- because that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Open a Not as described case through eBay.

Go into your purchase history, click the drop down menu it will either say RETURN THIS ITEM or MORE ACTIONS. 

Next click doesn’t match pictures or description.

You may be required to upload a picture, after that you can click submit to  complete return. 
Your seller has 2 days to issue a return label or refund, if by day 3 you don’t receive a return label or refund. You can go back to the case and that’s when you can ask eBay to step in. 

When the seller accepts your return, issues you a label, you have x amount of days to return the item. Once the return has been delivered to the seller, the seller has 2 days to refund. If that doesn't happen on day 3 you can ask eBay to step in for assistance.
Good luck. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

"included label"...sounds like drop shipping which is sometimes legal on eBay. 

Need to check seller ID and country and location of shipping...which sometimes is different for returns.

Would I use the return label...no.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@brstal-70 

Definitely do NOT use that label for your return -- the seller will NOT refund you, plus you will no longer possess the item.

Use the regular eBay return process:

1.  Go to your "Purchase" page.

2.  On the right hand of the screen are a column of blue boxes.

3.  Click on "More actions" -- then click on "Return this item."

4.  You'll be sent to a different screen -- choose your reason for return from the options available -- if you think that the item is a counterfeit, choose "Doesn't match description or photos."

5.  Follow the rest of the instructions provided by eBay.

6.  Hopefully, the seller will just send you a REAL address label -- just repackage the item, stick the address label to the package, and mail it out.  In a few days, you'll receive your refund from the seller.

7.  However -- if the seller puts up a fuss for any reason, stand your ground, and don't cave in to the seller.  If the seller still puts up a fight, escalate through eBay.  After a few days, eBay will force the seller to send you a REAL label.  BUT -- the seller may dispute the return, & you should continue with the escalation through eBay -- after a few days,  eBay will pluck the refund from the seller's account to refund you, and eBay may also advise you to keep the item -- plus the seller will get a defect.

8.  Hopefully you did not order this item from China -- because that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you very much for the reply!!!!!  I had a feeling that I should just proceed with the standard eBay return method, I just didn't want to be a jerk to a seller if it was common place to offer the label with the shipment.

Thank you again!!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for confirming my suspicions and the dropshipping theory, I had not thought about that.  I was defintely not comfortable returning without going through eBay so I appreciate the reply and insight!!

Thanks,

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the very detailed process!!!  I wasn't sure if this was a common practice and I didnt want to "yell fire" to eBay if this was normal, but I just felt like something was fishy.   Shockingly, the item came from Long Beach, CA.  I thought buying domestic was safer but apparently that is no longer true.

Thank you again for the time you took in your reply!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

In addition to all the great advice you have received here regarding how to handle this issue, may I respectfully suggest that you re-read eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers? It offers very good protection if the buyer reads it, understands it and uses it in a timely fashion.

And, yes, it's very important to read a seller's FB received from buyers before launching into a transaction with that seller. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: